Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Ivan

Arcane
dat feel when you realize Hyrule is a combat dungeon and this kicks in

Keldryn

Arcane
One reason for having the weapons breaking is that it allows the game to reward the player with powerful items at any stage of the game without imbalancing the game in the long term.

So if you manage to get a weapon with 50 attack strength 3 hours onto the game, you'll be able to take on a couple of more powerful foes, but it won't make it so that everything is a cakewalk for the rest of the game.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
it seems like many of the people who don't get this obviously haven't played it because it is something you understand pretty quick while playing.

Ivan

Arcane
another cool thing about the weapon durability is that even though you may pick up the SAME flame sword+ that you had before, you're always glad to find it and have it in your stash

furthermore, you learn when to better use stronger weapons when the situation calls for it

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
another cool thing about the weapon durability is that even though you may pick up the SAME flame sword+ that you had before, you're always glad to find it and have it in your stash

furthermore, you learn when to better use stronger weapons when the situation calls for it

You'll also occasionally find that same flame sword but with bonus stats on it (more damage / more durability / long throw... long throw is trash)

One of the most powerful weapons is a rare bow gotten from the hardest Lynels. It can shoot 5 arrows but only consumes a single arrow to do so. Hilariously broken.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Also the weapons don't break too often. Because you usually have too many weapons to fucking carry. Even early in the game. People just suck at games. Really. Especially that fat fuck Sterling.

I end up throwing weapons at the bad guys heads more times than not. Pick their clubs up and beat them with it until it is about to break, throw it for double damage, steal their arrows, shields...THE GAME IS BUILT ON THIS MECHANIC. It gives you a reason to loot. Sure, a Blacksmith would have made it easier to repair your shitty weapons. There are weapon makers in the game though. You bring them shit. They give you a new weapon. Do people not know how to fast travel to the Shrines they unlocked? Do they know what the Markers are for? Do they know why games are made the way they are? Sterling complaining about Stamina meters? I HATE RPG's is what he is really saying if he hates any kind of leveling mechanic. I guess people also want Link to know how to temper steel and shit even though he is a motherfucking KNIGHT OF THE ROUND TABLE.

Without a reason to upgrade weapons you could go straight to the castle and get the best weapons and own the whole game. Sounds so fun Sterling. Go get more donations from Patreon to feed your fat face so you have a heart attack. I hope you are the type to search your name and read what people write about your stupid fat fucking face. Any of you other faggots who complain about the reason the game is good should go play Horizon: Beyond Zero Dawn with some red haired slut humping ledges to climb and DINOSAUR ROBOT HUNTING.

:lol:

You'll also occasionally find that same flame sword but with bonus stats on it (more damage / more durability / long throw... long throw is trash)

One of the most powerful weapons is a rare bow gotten from the hardest Lynels. It can shoot 5 arrows but only consumes a single arrow to do so. Hilariously broken.

I started farming a certain route every bloodmoon that killed 2 Lynels and a pack of monsters who dropped a thunderspear. I had lightning arrows out of my ass and a ton of those bows as well. Things got pretty trivial at the end if I wanted it to be.

Thinking of starting a fresh save file, actually. I thought the game was more fun towards the beginning, and I'm already thinking of how I'll change up the order I tackle things.

Keldryn

Arcane
And here I am puttering along at about 50 hours in. Cleared 48 shrines, got the Master Sword, activated all towers except that one by the castle that is protected by Guardians. Started one of the dungeons but didn't finish it yet.

I think it's time to practice parrying Guardian lasers back at them. I'm tired of running away.

And there are still many sections of the map where I have yet to visit.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I like the weapon breaking for the reasons stated above, and I kinda wish other games had something similar. For instance I'd like to see how Dark Souls plays with the same mechanic. The game would need to be rebalanced from top to bottom, but it would be interesting if you were required to switch up the weapons you used in a similar way to Breath.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
Now my 4 year old is hooked on the game, too. She's got the whole navigating in 3 dimensions thing down pretty well, although she struggles with keeping the camera behind her so she can see where she is going.

This morning they were arguing about who gets to play Zelda first.

Ivan

Arcane
it took my girlfriend coming over to break the spell BotW put me under, so now that she's gone and I'm thinking of getting back to it again I've been mulling over some things I don't like. Obviously the fedex side quests are a letdown, but the game doesn't force you to do them. What IS a let down are the Test of Strength shrines. While I DO love discovering shrines, mainly due to them containing UNIQUE puzzles, the combat ones are all the same shit that don't take advantage of the game's playful combat mechanics/physics system.

so I let my friend play the game the other day. I think he was so hooked he finished the tutorial area in one sitting. some pretty hilarious shit: he was throwing melee weapons at apples, he tried blowing up a tree to get across a gap and only bombed himself (didn't know trees are impervious to explosions), he's absolutely terrible controlling a 3D camera so there were also a lot of funny falling off edges deaths.

Question: have Nintendo revealed any plans for the HARD mode?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
C7yGdTFXkAEBuB1.jpg

Wonder if that'll mean anything for us Wii U players. Also wonder if they'll do anything about the freezes caused by Moblin rag doll physics. Hit one of them with a bomb arrow on a staircase and the game locked for a good 4 seconds.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The patch did help the framerate that is for sure. The Wii U didn't get the same performance upgrade unfortunately because it still has the Moblin issue frequently.

bonescraper

Piracy is wrong
PIRACY IS WRONG EVEN IF YOU PIRATE FREE SHIT LEL - DORKUNDERLORD

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom