Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Legends of Eisenwald Thread

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I'm interested in hearing more about it too.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Uh... Seems that I am blind. I had gotten the access a while a go already, it was sitting there in the Humble Store account page under the "Claim your previous purchases" -link which I never click. Had multiple games there, in fact.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
To anybody in the early access, can you please give me comparisons between this and Conqusitador? I really enjoyed that game, and would love to have more of the same.

How's the combat? Does it have AoOs? Is it deeper than Conquistador's?
And how's the writing for the quests and such?
Also, does your main character participate in battles?

Are your squadmates characters by their own, or disposable grunts? Or something in between? Xcom-style, maybe?

Yes and no.

I really don't want to say too much, it is very incomplete at the moment. I'm afraid the Steam early access reception will not be good with this state of game. Brace yourselves.

Combat is funny at the moment: there are no sounds, the animations play overlapping with turns (which is actually great in the way that it makes everything much faster) but since there is no combat feedback at all and damage etc. is resolved instantly (before the animation even finishes playing...). You just have to see it to understand.

You have a mix of named characters who might have something to say occasionally and nameless template grunts. No-one dies permanently though.

I died in the very second fight of the Masquerade campaign (suffer not a witch to live!). The game proceeded to run enemy turns for a few minutes, then showed a debriefing screen and kicked me out of the game.

I'm a battle scarred veteran of 1980's game design. I was confused for a moment. The average Steamtard? Oh boy...

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hahaha. Thanks for the info- never really was into the early access thing...

I'll let the game cook for a while more before giving it a go.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I tried the supporters demo some months back and I liked what I saw, a lot actually. I hazard a guess fans of Disciples 2 will love this thing when it's completed. I actually adored the Disciples 2 combat, some people here on the Codex call it simplified, but they should be ignored. Those are the same morons who bitched and moaned until Strategy First decided to implement a full blown grid based battlefield for D3 which ended in a sea of tears. Not all streamlining is for the worse, it turns out.

Also, the demo was tough as fucking nails, I...uh, hope there's gonna be a difficulty slider, ya know, for those weaklings who can't handle the heat :cough:

All in all this is one of my favourite of the upcoming decline wave games.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
I played for about 1 hour and I think it has potential. It's clearly early access, things are missing, translations are missing/not done/not proofread/not done by a translator, it has usability issues. But I also like this type of game, and I like what they're doing. Looking forward to where they're gonna take it.

But indeed, just like most other Early Access games, the Steam forums are not going to give potential buyers high hopes... And why is everyone asking for multiplayer? Christ.

Last edited:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Hey guys, thanks for posting the update and discussing it here! I am busy on the Steam forums, one thing I had to do was proving that our game is an RPG. And after I said that RPG Codex does consider our game as an RPG, there were no more arguments! Codex rules, your authority is in high esteem on Steam (forgive me the pun :)) Anyway, all I am doing right now is responding in forums and writing to the press and I am going to stay in this mode for a few days. Nice to have a reasonable discussion here!

Tigranes

Arcane
But indeed, just like most other Early Access games, the Steam forums are not going to give potential buyers high hopes... And why is everyone asking for multiplayer? Christ.

So... Logic Artists were right to create multiplayer? +M

Happy to hear it's difficult, one of the things holding Conquistador back from being really good was how easy it was.

From another game, but this exchange still made me want to curl up on my bed for a bit.

DustMan said:
well.... no coop....every game without coop should only receive half the full score at best :mad:

anexsia said:
No, not every game needs multiplayer or coop.

DustMan said:
have you ever played something with friends?

coop kicks solo play many times over and if you want some alone time coop can alyways be optional.

the only genre that does not work properly is horro games because it lacks the fear factor..

and in case of alien rage....its a freakin shooter with smart AI enemies, it demands coop!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
one thing I had to do was proving that our game is an RPG. And after I said that RPG Codex does consider our game as an RPG, there were no more arguments! Codex rules, your authority is in high esteem on Steam (forgive me the pun :))
Not all of the Codex considers this game an RPG. I certainly don't. It does have RPG elements (plenty of them, actually), but that's about it.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Not all of the Codex considers this game an RPG. I certainly don't. It does have RPG elements (plenty of them, actually), but that's about it.
Damn, then I was wrong to use the power of Codex! :) I should have written the majority of Codex then? :)
No, you are mostly correct. The problem here is that the Codex has never been in total agreement on pretty much any topic.

Just try asking people here what is a RPG, what you will get is the equivalent of a western-salon-brawl.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn, then I was wrong to use the power of Codex! :) I should have written the majority of Codex then? :)
No, you are mostly correct. The problem here is that the Codex has never been in total agreement on pretty much any topic.
Just try asking people here what is a RPG, what you will get is the equivalent of a western-salon-brawl.
True that. Besides, the game is good, so who really cares? ;-)

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Usually we don't post updates usually so soon after one another, but we really wanted to share with you how the first day on Early Access went.

The launch has been really wonderful and successful. To put it in perspective, we sold twice as many copies on Steam in ten hours than we sold via pre-order in the whole time after Kickstarter (and that's almost year and a half). The money we've made on Steam so far is already enough to ensure we have the budget we need to finish the game.

Congrats! Hopefully the people will not be turned off by the lack of polish.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Usually we don't post updates usually so soon after one another, but we really wanted to share with you how the first day on Early Access went.

The launch has been really wonderful and successful. To put it in perspective, we sold twice as many copies on Steam in ten hours than we sold via pre-order in the whole time after Kickstarter (and that's almost year and a half). The money we've made on Steam so far is already enough to ensure we have the budget we need to finish the game.

Congrats! Hopefully the people will not be turned off by the lack of multiplayer.
Fixed. :troll:

Stokowski

Arcane
This looks great, but the final release really needs to support 1366x768 resolution, or they'll lose a shitload of common laptop sales.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
It's true that Codex can't agree on pretty much anything, that makes it a fun place it is. Multi player is not an issue I think, actually many people say they are happy there is no multi player.

We will support all resolutions, it's just interface is not ready yet, and we are even thinking of redesigning it again, now that we have some money :)

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well looking forward to the final release, been playing around a bit with the early access and the previous beta version of it. So keep up the good work! :greatjob:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've been playing around with early access for a while now and just finished chapter 1. The problem is the game crashes as I'm transition to the next chapter. Maybe chapter 2 isn't made yet?

^According to the description, "This Early Access build is an extensive slice of the game with more than ten hours of gameplay. It features two first scenarios of the main campaign: the Prologue (tutorial) and The Way Home and a standalone scenario The Masquerade."

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
^According to the description, "This Early Access build is an extensive slice of the game with more than ten hours of gameplay. It features two first scenarios of the main campaign: the Prologue (tutorial) and The Way Home and a standalone scenario The Masquerade."
Yeah, my bad. It still would have been better to finish the chapter off with a blurb or something, rather than the game just crashing at the transition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom