Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The List of Incline (Now with a poll)

Which of these games are you looking forward to? (multiple responses allowed)

• Total voters

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
2013 turned out to be another shit year after all.
Yeah, I predicted as much back in April, but was shouted down by people claiming that it will be ok, and there's still plenty of time for all these incline games to come out before the year is over. ;)

I am really hyped for 2014, though.

Lhynn

Arcane

DramaticPopcorn

iwill fucking murder everyone if 2014 will be another year of waiting :x

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasteland 2, MMX, Divinity:OS and Blackguards will definitely get released next year. It'll be a year of disappointments.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 2, MMX, Divinity:OS and Blackguards will definitely get released next year. It'll be a year of disappointments.

So tell me Roguey, will any non-PE games not be disappointments

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They'll stop being disappointing as soon as they stop being obstinate and start doing everything the Sawyer way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They'll stop being disappointing as soon as they stop being obstinate and start doing everything the Sawyer way.

OK gotcha, I thought you had some insight as to why they would be disappointing to people who aren't you

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

OK gotcha, I thought you had some insight as to why they would be disappointing to people who aren't you
Wasteland 2 and MMX: Can't go home again.
Divinity:OS: Will be about as well-received as their other products.
Blackguards: About as well received as Expeditions maybe.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasteland 2 and MMX: Can't go home again.

You do realize this applies equally to Project Eternity, which is also a nostalgia project?
No, because Josh Sawyer is paving the road to a bold new future. Though I'm sure it's inevitable that a few people will prefer the previous clunkers, much like how some people prefer Oblivion over Skyrim.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
No, because Josh Sawyer is paving the road to a bold new future.

Making an Infinity Engine nostalgia project is probably not Josh Sawyer's personal idea of a "road to a bold new future".

And hey, Wasteland 2 is a road to a bold new future of Fallout-style games with a party and combat that's actually good. Whee!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Making an Infinity Engine nostalgia project is probably not Josh Sawyer's personal idea of a "road to a bold new future".
It is when it comes to systems. Plus http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/493955573
I want to make something clear, though: while I make games with a bias toward what I think is good/enjoyable, I do not make games for my own personal tastes. Few game developers working at mid- to large-sized studios have the freedom to drive a development process without catering to an idealized market.

http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/494705247
But I know and accept that the only way for me to really "do my own thing" would be to start my own company. I don't want to run a company (assuming I even could). I don't want to think about 401k programs or fire safety regulations in the office or deal with the anxiety of keeping 100+ people employed. I want to make games every day. I may not be good at it, but I have no other skills, no practical knowledge.

So whether I get to work on something groundbreaking or simply fun/enjoyable, either way I'm lucky to be making games and I enjoy it a great deal.

And hey, Wasteland 2 is a road to a bold new future of Fallout-style games with a party and combat that's actually good. Whee!
Fallout Tactics had marginally better combat than Fallout, yet it's fallen by the wayside.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Right, well, the two videos they've released so far weren't exactly Fallout-style either so all we have is Brother None's assurance that everything's fine until they release the beta,

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hasn't it been long established that there aren't any? PE will be the first. Mass Effect 2 comes close, but might not be considered "proper".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What's funny is how Roguey has almost completely forgotten his "Dullsville" accusations from the beginning of PE's Kickstarter campaign. Can a "Dullsville" truly be the world's best, or even just "least disappointing" CRPG?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure they will. I'm sure she will like a couple of MOBAs...
I don't play MOBAs or any other competitive mulitplayer game.

What specifically are proper cRPG that have been done correctly Roguey?

I cannot wait to read this list.
tuluse is correct. "Pretty much all games get it wrong," as they say (they being Josh and I). Even though it used the Sawyer method when it came to systems, Josh could only stand to play ME2 for a few hours before he dropped it forever, likely because he couldn't stand the writing and/or lack of story agency, so it's not a priority for me (agency is particularly important to me). He also really enjoys the moment to moment gameplay of Demon's and Dark Souls, but dislikes the strategic elements and the way it handles C&C so that's another partial success.

Can a "Dullsville" truly be the world's best, or even just "least disappointing" CRPG?
Yes. Here's where I got Dullsville from http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/1159998032
The flaws in fantasy settings usually have to do with their fundamental premises. If the premise is that it's a traditional fantasy setting TURNED ON ITS HEAD / WITH EDGE!! then you've just booked a one-way ticked to Dullsville.

That said, a lot of the perception of a setting is reliant on how it is presented. A single setting interpreted and presented in three different ways can be received very differently even by the same audience.

Finally, I'd say that the setting is just that: a place where things happen. A compelling story within that setting is necessary for the player to retain long term interest in what's happening outside of the moment to moment game play.

Athelas

Arcane
Okay, but how does that help your argument, Roguey? 'Dullsville' IS a traditional fantasy setting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"That said, a lot of the perception of a (traditional fantasy) setting is reliant on how it is presented. A single (traditional fantasy) setting interpreted and presented in three different ways can be received very differently even by the same audience.

Finally, I'd say that the (traditional fantasy) setting is just that: a place where things happen. A compelling story within that (traditional fantasy) setting is necessary for the player to retain long term interest in what's happening outside of the moment to moment game play."

Athelas

Arcane
Now you're contradicting yourself (or rather, Sawyer is in that answer). Either setting doesn't matter much (in which case something qualifying as 'Dullsville' shouldn't be relevant), or it does matter, in which case it would be a weakness of Project Eternity.
That is, assuming you can divorce the setting from the story. The stories in fantasy RPG's typically encompass elements from the whole setting, companions from all the different races, etc.

As for traditional fantasy with a twist:
It's fantasy with its own voice. Josh Sawyer has been leading the charge with the world and race creation—at first glance, players will recognize archetypes and seemingly-familiar landscapes, but often, we just use that as a means to draw you in and let you begin to see the subtleties and differences.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Now you're contradicting yourself (or rather, Sawyer is in that answer). Either setting doesn't matter much (in which case something qualifying as 'Dullsville' shouldn't be relevant), or it does matter, in which case it would be a weakness of Project Eternity.
That is, assuming you can divorce the setting from the story. The stories in fantasy RPG's typically encompass elements from the whole setting, companions from all the different races, etc.

As for traditional fantasy with a twist:
It's fantasy with its own voice. Josh Sawyer has been leading the charge with the world and race creation—at first glance, players will recognize archetypes and seemingly-familiar landscapes, but often, we just use that as a means to draw you in and let you begin to see the subtleties and differences.

I think what Roguey means to say is that PE will be so good that it will still be THE BEST THING EVAR despite being Dullsville.

tl;dr Don't argue with people who have set themselves up in an unfalsifiable position.

But I am curious as to whether Roguey will be honest enough to admit it, if one of the other upcoming RPGs does turn out to be better than PE in some respects. Pre-release hype is one thing, but nobody likes a delusional fanboy who denies the facts in front of his face.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom