Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Mandate - LOL DEAD

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I have to admit, I'm not particularly strategically minded, I pretty much fail at games with that requirement, although it's certainly never stopped me having a go at them. April 15 doesn't seem too far away, although... delays, so it'll probably still be on my radar then.

Heh, your ME reference doesn't inspire me though, not a 'plus' in my book. :P (but I get your intention.)

By "strategic", its more you moving your flee around with maybe some resources to collect and trading dealing but not a completely dedicated 4x game, far from that and by Mass Effect, I mean if Mass Effect wasn't written by retards.

As long as I can win though sheer force of numbers I think it'll be ok, lol. Clusterfuck-a-go-go.

"and by Mass Effect, I mean if Mass Effect wasn't written by retards."

Now that's a game I would like to see.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
"and by Mass Effect, I mean if Mass Effect wasn't written by retards."

Now that's a game I would like to see.
star control 2, planet's edge, starflight, sentinel worlds, buck rogers, protostar.. they all fit that label more or less...

Yeah, I've definitely overlooked those, as I said I was never a big space combat player regardless of the genre they popped up in and my eyeballs just can't take the look of a lot of them these days, my issue not theirs.

I notice though that the Planet's Edge land bound segments look a lot like Megatraveller, which I did play but have completely forgotten everything about except the 'lying on their backs' persepective...Now that I talk about it again, I have the strange urge to try to find it and give it another go.

Norfleet

I'm going to go with "Highry Unrikery", seeing as the vaporware rating on this just gets more and more outlandish.

Keldryn

Arcane
This game always struck me as being overly ambitious but I pledged $20 anyway. My expectations aren't that high, but I want to support developers who are trying to make the kind of games I want to play. If a couple of my $20 pledges don't pan out it's no great loss. I feel that it's better than just complaining about how nobody makes the games that I want to play anymore.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have seen a work of 2 people who have made everything modular. So to say i believe in their work, but not in the date that they have published. (They are more people than 2 and they have more money then this 750k dollar.)

Last edited:

empyrean

Scholar
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's the new update:
Kickstarter said:
Update #45 December 23, 2014
Progress update
Hey backers,

Today we are going to talk about our roadmap and progress update as well as the state of the project. Our aim is to shed more light on exactly where we are in development. We also have a new developer video which you can find at the bottom of this update.

When the Kickstarter campaign was successfully concluded last year we took a break for a few days and then started to plan our production roadmap in more detail. Our timeframe as outlined before we launched our Kickstarter placed Alpha in December 2014 with Beta to follow in Q1 2015.

We discussed each major feature and classified according to the high risk, high value matrix that we also shared with you as part of our Kickstarter update for January. During this planning stage we identified several issues that we were not aware of before the Kickstarter campaign was launched and which have had an impact on our production schedule and timeline.

The first issue was staffing-related as three of the senior programmers that we wanted to bring onboard full-time were prevented from joining the project due to pre-existing contracts. Despite our best efforts to terminate their previous contracts earlier in the end we had to wait until 1st of April before they could join us.

Secondly, our initial timeline (which was announced when the Kickstarter began) does not take into account the fact that we added stretch goals like planetary missions and starbase assaults. These features require additional time to develop on top of the ship boarding operations that we had already planned. For example planetary missions require a different approach to pathfinding for units that move around in an open space instead of down corridors [as would be the case with boarding operations]. To prevent further loss of time we looked at different solutions including three different ones from 3rd parties until we finally found one that satisfied our updated requirements.

Planetary missions also require unique artwork to distinguish them from boarding operations and would have required a lot of manual work to design and build planet surfaces. We decided to investigate how to procedurally generate planetary mission maps to allow us to create varied landscapes. In the long run this will save development time and ensure you do not visit the same planet layout twice (unless specifically created for story missions). This work has yielded some very promising results but required research and development. Above you can see four different “biome” types as we call them. We have a crystal planet, a lava planet, a desert planet and a moon. The walkable area is the same in all four cases, however, the lava planet has the walkable terrain raised compared to the other three. All four types are running off of the same level layout that the game designer created. We also have additional biomes in development but these four should suffice to demonstrate the versatility of our solution.

Thirdly, we announced already back in February that we were planning for “mod support” since we were not that far away from reaching this stretch goal. It is important to note that first of all this decision is irreversible and it also has major architectural implications. As you may know we are using Unity as our game engine and Unity generally has static scenes (or levels if you will) which are not easily modified after a game has been compiled, shipped and launched. This is not a problem if you are building a traditional RPG with predefined locations.

In The Mandate (both for ship interiors and planetary mission planets) we will not have static levels but rather dynamic ones that are generated at run-time. Unity does not natively support this. We wanted something robust and powerful, more similar to the MMO engines we have worked with in the past where the program code and the content data are decoupled. This allows designers to add and modify content data (npcs, ships, quests, items etc) by using a set of content design tools. The changes can be saved and exported without involving programmers and without modifying the game executables. Our plan is to allow modders to use these same tools after launch as well. These requirements, however, demanded a custom object model to be created.

For The Mandate, we are using a custom object model (entity/component model). Entities are not linked directly in the static Unity scenes but instead they can be serialized on-the-fly so we can have an open world sandbox with dynamic streaming. Entities can migrate seamlessly between boarding and space combat simulation, or communicate in both domains. The advanced serialization supports multiplayer replication and optimizes the data traffic by automatically recalculating the diffs in synchronized data.

For the game design and level design toolchain, the object mode enables advanced editor features like: custom nested prefabs, full undo support, data definition/reflection and MVC approach to separate data and entity logic from visual components.

At runtime, as we are using the actor model, entities can be updated independently and in parallel. This approach scales naturally in multi threaded environment with several CPUs.

Mandate will have seamless transition between worlds and to stream the data/assets in the background, we are using Unity asset bundles. Black box modules can also contain the precompiled code which interfaces with existing game framework, as it is used for the dynamic loading in MOD support. This way, some assets and modules don't need to be statically determined when the game is released, but can be added, overwritten or updated later. By replacing these asset bundles, we can dynamically update the content of the game.

The custom object model is now complete and we are now building the various content tools which use this model. It is important to stress that the content tools themselves will be very powerful and allow designers to rapidly create and modify new abilities, items, npcs, ship sections and ships. Due to data consistency checking it should minimize the introduction of bugs into the system and we have automated processes that can verify the integrity of the data.

The challenges presented above meant that The Mandate would require more time and effort to complete without having to sacrifice or cut features from the game concept. The systemic approach to how we wanted to make The Mandate has several major upsides such as providing content creation tools that allow us (and modders) to quickly develop additional content for the game once it has been launched. Conversely, it requires more development time to do it right. We believe this is the right thing to do and we hope that you agree with our approach.

With respect to development time we decided to delay staffing up the design team (including writers) and also the art team. This meant that both teams would spend more time in pre-production to iterate on designs and art, respectively. In parallel the programming team has been staffed to full strength and has been working on the issues outlined above.

On the design side extra time spent in development has allowed us to both mature existing design ideas as well as re-examine the connection between space combat, boarding combat and the adventure mode. For example the battle drills concept was not on the drawing board 6 months ago and is a recent development (which we reuse for the light craft in space combat as well). Another example is our approach to sub-system targeting which was outlined in the previous update.

On the art side the extra time has allowed us to iterate on the design language for each of the factions. Whenever you encounter ships or starbases from another faction you will recognize which faction they belong to due to their unique art direction when it comes to colour, silhouette and design language. Last update we showed the Grand Fleet heavy cruiser MK II and we also gave a sneak peek at a Black Eagle heavy cruiser in drydock. Today we are following up and sharing with you the ship styles for the Romanov, Osmani, Arkwright and Europan heavy cruiser designs.

For tech art we have also used the time to investigate and deal with issues ahead of time. We have built systematic approaches for each of the art-scale challenges we will face during the production so that we can tackle each area in the most efficient way possible. For example you may remember our presentation of the character system which we discussed a few updates ago. Another example would be the addition of physically based shaders and integration with Substance Designer procedural textures which required recently developed third party tools to reach maturity. A third example is the biome generation for planetary missions as seen earlier in this update that will help us generate a huge amount of variety of missions from the same amount of game designer input. These are all powerful, flexible solutions that are also scalable depending on hardware requirements.

Another side of development which has benefited from a longer development time is the audio. More specifically, our soundtrack. When we started development we were not sure how much funds we would be able to allocate to the soundtrack. We therefore asked our composer to plan for both a 60, 90 and 120 minute soundtrack. Based on what we will discuss later in this update, we can now confirm that The Mandate will get a full 120 minute soundtrack. Also, whereas the Kickstarter Mandate theme was recorded with around 30 musicians; we will use a 75-man orchestra for the full soundtrack. Our composer already has roughly 60 minutes of faction-specific music ready and is now starting on the second half of the soundtrack; the battle music and ambient music.

Due to copyright and intellectual property rights we cannot share the music yet and besides, it will only sound right once it has been recorded with the full orchestra. That being said the faction music goes very well with the art direction for the various ship styles that we showed earlier in this update. Since we got a lot of good feedback on the Mandate theme our composer decided to record four versions of the original Mandate track on piano for your enjoyment. Enjoy!

Oh, and there is one more thing we are exploring with respect to the soundtrack. Actually, technically it is the vocals or chorus. It is a bit early to talk about but if all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place, this will be the icing on the cake. It is said that a picture is worth more than a thousand words...

While these efforts have required additional time in the development schedule we ultimately believe this will result in a more interesting and enjoyable experience. The high level design work on both design and art will save us time down the road, ensure a more tightly integrated experience since the different game modes are more strongly connected, and the technological solutions we have gone for, will help both with the production of expansion packs, sequels and mod support.

We saw three alternative approaches that could help us meet our funding requirements and avoid having to compromise on our game concept: We could seek additional crowdfunding, prepare a Steam Early Access version or we could find an investment partner. Each approach has strengths and weaknesses (or risks if you will).

We did not feel that it was right to ask for a second wave of crowdfunding. Also - while important progress has been made, it is not progress that is easy to present into sexy marketing material so there would be no guarantee of obtaining more funds this way.

As for using Early Access first of all it would require us to change our development roadmap to deliver something that would entice people to donate and secondly we would have no guarantee for the result. The Early Access could get us more money than we ever needed - or - it could fall on its face and then what? We have seen many projects take this road and we much prefer to not be in a permanent state of pre-alpha early access, something that can be infuriating to players who are essentially treated as unpaid QA staff.

Bearing this in mind we decided to look for an investment partner as our plan A with Early Access as plan B. One clear benefit for us is that we can focus our communication and talk to somebody who has experience evaluating projects at different stages of development. We met with several different publishers both small, medium and large at Gamescom in August and pitched our game concept.

For the last four months we have been exclusively discussing with one potential partner. After signing mutual NDAs with them we shared all relevant project information. On their side they conducted a thorough due diligence of The Mandate. They brought with them an external industry veteran who reviewed our production budget, the state of our codebase and also our design documents. Current and proposed future members of the development team were both evaluated and interviewed to get a clear understanding of the major production risks and whether we had the necessary experience to tackle them. The feedback was very professional and constructive and we immediately implemented several production changes (since the feedback was given with no strings attached). Next we embarked on a relatively lengthy contract negotiation process which ended up taking longer than expected. We did not feel comfortable announcing anything until a deal was signed and everything set in stone (and besides the NDA restricted what we could discuss).

This changes today as we just signed a contract with Eurovideo Medien GmbH of Germany. The guys are cool and consist of former D&D players who are also fans of games like X-Com, Pirates, Mount & Blade, Elite, FTL and many more. If you want to check out which games they distributed in the past years, have a look at their website. Actually, their offices are located next to the movie set for the movie classic “Das Boot”.

What is also important is that the guys understand both the type of game experience we are aiming for and also what we are NOT aiming for, e.g. on-the-rails free-2-play shooter with micro-transactions. Eurovideo sees the potential in The Mandate and wants to help us realize the game’s full potential. So what are the implications of this deal?

• Eurovideo will invest to ensure the development of The Mandate
  • Perihelion Interactive will have full creative control. Full stop. We will execute the original game concept as we presented to you in the Kickstarter and will follow our vision without any intervention from Eurovideo
  • Eurovideo will handle all marketing, PR and distribution activities
  • Perihelion Interactive will interact with existing & new backers and release regular updates. There will be no changes here
  • Perihelion Interactive will retain full control over backer pledges
  • Eurovideo will handle all localization in cooperation with Perihelion Interactive
  • We can now guarantee that The Mandate will be localized into German, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian (other languages to be discussed)
  • Both the English and German versions will be voiced (other languages to be discussed)
  • The development team will grow due to this investment and as a result we can pack more content and more hours of fun into the game
  • The soundtrack will be 120 minutes instead of 60 minutes and the size of the orchestra will double

How does the road ahead look like with the additional funding? First of all we will now start to staff up the development team. At its peak the team will consist of around 30 developers with a combined AAA experience of 100+ years. The additional funding allows us to bring onboard several veteran developers who are both friends and former co-workers. This will reduce risk and ensure that The Mandate is a great game at release.

Furthermore, we will differentiate in our timeline between the feature Alpha, feature Beta and Content Beta. Whereas the first two relate to the specific features of the game the latter is about the content (quests, factions, ships etc) which are made with our tools [remember the discussion above about our tool chain and object actor model].

Feature Alpha: Q3 2015 (early)
Feature Beta: Q3 2015 (late)
Content Beta: Q4 2015
Launch: Q1 2016

All backers at $75 or above will gain access to the Feature Alpha. All backers at $40 or above will gain access to the Feature Beta. All backers from $20 or above will gain access to the Content Beta.

The Content Beta will be updated several times towards Launch. Depending on the feedback from the Feature Alpha and Feature Beta it may be slightly more restricted in scope initially but over time we will release content updates and unlock features so that right before launch the Content Beta will be identical to the launch version of the game (but for example it may miss localization for certain languages which become available at launch).

So what will happen next? Actually over the holidays Garret (Art Director) is reading a book about heraldry which is over a hundred years old but supposedly still relevant for the 36th century. Vegard (Tech Art Director) is playing around with some cool stuff. Could there be a connection to the book that Garret is reading? Time will tell.

Right after the holidays we will start the hiring process to bring onboard additional developers. Specifically we will bring on two veteran writers and two veteran designers as well as additional artists. The next few Kickstarter updates will cover star base design, modular design and what types of customization options will be available to the player. Then in February we plan to discuss the battle drills and formations in more detail and show you how our squad AI adapts to the changing environment and also talk more about how boarding operations work.

As part of developing the boarding combat prototype we also worked in parallel on the art side to define the different room types and investigate scale dimensions. We have put a lot of effort into ensuring that a ship deck will feel like it has depth and mass. As you know a deck will contain many rooms and each room can have several consoles. Each console can be manned by one of your crew and the consoles in turn affect ship performance and dictate whether certain systems are online or offline during space combat. You may recall our previous Kickstarter update which included a video that demonstrated sub-system targeting where you can detect and take out individual consoles and rooms with precision fire. We decided to make a video to showcase the rooms that have been built so far.

Above you can see actual in-game footage where we show off the various rooms completed so far. We plan to make a follow-up video later where we go into more detail about the modularity of these assets as well as what type of customization options will be available (again made possible due to systematic tech art approaches).

We also have quite a few backers who pledged for various design tiers. Some of these design tiers do not yet have templates but now that we are staffing up with writers and designers we expect to finalize the remaining templates during February. Speaking of which we will close down the ability to order design tiers on the 31st of March 2015. This will give all backers who pledge for various design tiers several months to also work on their designs and conduct peer review before we start the official submission process.

With that said it is time to wrap things up. The bottom line is that we are building an even bigger game for you guys. This requires more time and additional investments. We have had some staffing challenges as well as unanticipated technical challenges along the way, but both of these are now solved and our agreement with Eurovideo guarantees that we will not have to compromise the original vision for the game.

Cheers,
Your friends at Perihelion Interactive

empyrean

Scholar
I thought someone would have posted this already, but whatever. Only 10 days late!
Perihelion on Kickstarter said:
Feb 5 2015
Only a cat of a different coat

Hey backers,

In this update we are going to cover several topics. First we are going to touch a bit on player customization options, specifically Coat of Arms. Next we will discuss the backer design pledges and what each backer who pledged to a specific tier is expected to design for inclusion in the game. Finally, we will also give you a short production update.

Ok, so what exactly is a coat of arms? It was a design worn by medieval knights on their shield or coat. The purpose was both to protect and identify the wearer in battle. Historically the coat of arms included many different elements to uniquely describe and identify them as you can see in the picture above.

Both Garret (Art Director) and Vegard (Technical Art Director) have been exploring heraldry and armoury books recently and now we want to share with you the first fruits of this labour: In The Mandate you will get to create the personal coat of arms for your captain character! Your coat of arms will be displayed both outside and inside your capital ships; on your light craft and on your marines.

Initially your ability to customize the coat of arms will be limited to the shield itself. However, based on your actions during the game (which factions you join, which knighthoods you unlock, your noble rank etc) you may unlock upgrades for your personal coat of arms (like the ability to select a mantle or wreath) as well as additional options (new faction specific motifs). In this way the coat of arms is both a visual chronicle of your journey and a unique identifier when joining a cooperative game. As a side-note whenever your christen a new capital ship you will also have the option to assign it a custom ship’s crest to uniquely identify it. Marines and light craft assigned to that ship will display the ship’s crest in additional to your personal coat of arms.

Above you can see a video that shows an early version of the coat of arms designer. It uses procedural textures and gives quite a bit of control over how the shield will look. The selection of motifs are quite limited for now but the final version will include both more motifs and allow you to pick signifiers, wreath, motto etc. The “random” button already produces some very interesting shield designs.

To test the coat of arms designer yourself CLICK HERE!

We decided to make this early version available for testing and feedback similar to the interactive demos we had online for our Kickstarter campaign. Keep in mind that this version runs via the Unity Web Player as it allows us to upgrade to latest version if we do fixes or improvements. If you have problems running it in a particular browser then we recommend you test with another browser instead. We have tested with the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome.

The coat of arms designer is actually relevant for our next topic which is backer design pledges. As you know from our previous update we aim to finalize these during February but we may slide a bit into March. In the mean time we wanted to give you an overview of what exactly you get to design for each pledge tier.

In the table above you can see what each pledge tier includes. You can also see the approximate number of pledges for each tier. For example the “Design an Officer” allows you to write the backstory, allocate skill points and pick personal traits. The Officer will be a mid-level subaltern character and the backstory will be accessible from inside the game. This character may be recruited later by the player if the faction allegiance of both player and character are compatible.

The “Design a Captain” has many of the same design elements as the previous pledge but adds a few new ones: “Character visualization” and “Personal Coat of Arms”. The former will allow you to specify the visual look of the captain using a standalone version of our character creation editor whereas the latter enables you to use a feature-complete version of the coat of arms designer. Also the backstory for the captain will be included in the Great Captain Doc (which will include up to 400 captains and be around 700-800 pages long!).

For most of the tier designs we are implementing a point-buy system where you get a pool of points which can be allocated to different areas. An example of this is the $500 pledge tier “design a ship encounter”. This pledge tier actually includes several designs and you can see advanced (but not final) versions of these templates below. Keep in mind that it is not completely final yet but probably 80% complete.

https://www.mandategame.com/sites/default/files/ks_46_design_captain.pdf
https://www.mandategame.com/sites/default/files/ks_46_design_ship.pdf
https://www.mandategame.com/sites/default/files/ks_46_design_encounter.pdf

Our writers are busy working on the back-story for factions, sub-factions and major characters (faction leaders etc). Who exactly are the Explorer’s Society and the Unknown Legion? How are they related to the Duchy of Penrose? We expect to release more background info and lore starting in early April. This should be both an entertaining read to help immerse yourself in the universe or if you pledged for a design tier it can give you a starting point for your custom design.

Hopefully this has given you a good overview of what to expect from the design tier that you have pledged to. We will continue to work on and flesh out the templates so they are easy to understand and gives you a lot of flexibility when designing your character, weapon, starbase or cyber-parrot!

Finally, we wanted to give you a production update. Right after Christmas vacations we began the search for additional talent. We also had a few developers on stand-by who were ready to jump onboard as soon as our contract with Eurovideo was signed. The development team is growing rapidly from 12 before Christmas and we expect to be at full strength (around 30) by the end of March. The team is quite diverse and includes members from ten different nationalities and our combined development experience now includes over 100 years of AAA development experience. This helps reduce risk and allows us to iterate and polish on both visuals, story and gameplay.

Due to the team growing we are also spending time to reorganize our internal documentation and bringing it up to date. We have a lot of knowledge in our head that needs to either be put in writing or the previously written version was out of date. For example both art direction (style guide, signature colours, designs), technical art guidelines (how do we actually build a ship from A to Z, what restrictions apply to the bipedal animation rig) as well as story and game design documents are being reviewed and fixed.

The impact of new team members should be quite obvious by the time the next Kickstarter update is ready to roll out. We expect to have a healthy mix of environment art, character art and animations to share with you. Next update we also want to talk about battle drills and adaptive formations. However, we are currently waiting on a third party to deliver crucial code to get everything working together (we want to avoid hacking something together just for demo purposes as that is wasted effort). If we have something good then we will show it. Alternatively we may split the next update in two. Time will tell.

We will round off this update with a concept of an Osmani space station. The scale object (ship) on the left is a Black Eagle heavy cruiser (the same model we showed in drydock a few updates back).

Cheers,

Avellion

Erudite
Will the final version allow me to put a fully nude woman on my coat of arms?

If so I might find some feminist community, post a Let's Play of the game there and see how long it takes for me to get banned.

Avellion

Erudite

If so I might find some feminist community, post a Let's Play of the game there and see how long it takes for me to get banned.
Yeah! THAT'LL show them!

As an aside, strange seeing SB's avatar next to the topic. :(
It aint so much about showing them, as much as it is to see how long it will take for me to get banned on their site.

That said, may he rest in peace. :( Taken away far too early.

empyrean

Scholar
Update #47

Mar 10 2015

Roll Call on the Observation Deck

Hey backers,

In this update we are going to cover the game flow, show how we are building star bases, discuss ship deck plans (both frigate and destroyer) and last but not least talk about the backer pledge templates.

IMPORTANT: On the 31st of March 2015 we will lock down the ability to pledge for or upgrade to backer design tiers. This will be your final chance to upgrade existing pledges or purchase new ones. See the end of this update for further details.

As you know we are in the process of growing the development team. To introduce our new developers to the world of The Mandate we created a “game flow” overview to give a visual concept of what the game is about and how the different game modes are interconnected.

We think this diagram does a good job of explaining the different game modes and how they come together. Of course this diagram is a bit abstract so it can help to have a more graphical version which shows a thumbnail picture of what each game mode will look like.

As you can see - the battle orchestrator is the glue that holds the entire game together. As an example: When you are looking at the miniature galaxy map from afar, this is the battle orchestrator in action; you can see the edges of the table in the background. When you are in this mode, you are really looking at a representation of the galaxy projected onto the battle orchestrator table as opposed to the galaxy itself (which would require something like a "God view" and we didn't feel it would be appropriate). The battle orchestrator representation displays everything slightly out of scale to more easily be interpreted.

When you zoom in on specific objects such as planets or space stations, the battle orchestrator is working at a closer zoom level and will display more information and a more accurate rendition of the object. You may remember our video from last year which showed exactly this kind of seamless transition between the battle orchestrator and space combat.

Last update we gave you a sneak peak at the Osmani star base. In The Mandate, each major faction will have a unique star base design and ship designs that mirror the traits of that faction. This will make it easy to recognize exactly who controls a star base. We are going with a modular approach for the star bases which is similar to how we tackle space ships; Star bases will have one major module and several minor modules that connect to the major module. This allows us to create a lot of visual variety from relatively few pieces. In terms of scale, the star bases will be anywhere from 2 km to 8 km long. Some factions will have symmetrical designs whereas other factions will have asymmetrical designs. The shape of the star base also varies, from cylindrical to toroidal.

The production of star bases is still very much work in progress but we thought we would show you a bit more; this time, the Arkwright star base. Let’s first start with some notes from our Art Bible about the Arkwright star base:

“The Arkwright SS should look hardy and metallic. Imagine this station floating in the rings of a gas giant with the constant potential for collision with asteroids. This station and it's parts should look tough enough to withstand such collisions.

Key aesthetic features for the Arkwright star base:

• There should copious dust or fog around the station. Drones should be collecting and ferrying rocks back to the station
  • This station should always have one module devoted to melting and crushing rocks. Like the jaws of a hungry molten rock monster
  • Each station should have at least one port area for ship repair and trade
  • Each module will need to look like it does something
  • When submitting a design, each one should be labeled with its function and how it connects to the rest of the station parts
This station should not look pretty and is not designed for looks. It should be boxy with cross-beams and struts because an engineer at one point did the math and said “We need something here for stability”.

So what does it look like?

This is a concept piece to set the art direction for the station. Next up we have a blockout which shows the modular pieces arranged next to each other.

By combining the modular pieces we can create different star base configurations. Below is a configuration that closely follows the initial concept above but we could also have a smaller or bigger base as well.

Next up we want to talk about deck plans. Last year we shared some preliminary deck plans for a basic frigate. We have since iterated on these deck plans to find the right balance in terms of which rooms will be represented inside the ship, what function they will have and how they are linked to crew skills and consoles.

After calculating the deck plans all the way from frigate up to battleship it soon became apparent that scaling the ships proportionally would result in a boarding operation on a frigate being fairly straightforward while boarding a battleship could take a very long time. Two solutions we came up with to tackle this was a) to reduce the overall space available as the ship gets bigger and b) to make the rooms for bigger ships bigger in size.

In terms of available space a frigate uses approximately 90% of the available interior space. For a battleship we are around 60%; this can be explained via bulkheads and additional armour that takes up additional space. Keep in mind that the frigate is 200 m long and the battleship is 800 m long. The frigate has one full deck and the battleship has three full decks (in addition to cargo hold, bridge deck and observation deck). So there is still a lot more real estate available on the battleship.

For room sizes we had originally planned each room to be 10x10 meters. However, after doing pathfinding and boarding tests we saw that we had to change this to 15x15 meters. This is what we call a “small” room, and it is used for frigates and destroyers. For cruisers we switch to 25x25 meters, or “medium” rooms. Finally, for battlecruisers and battleships we switch to 35x35, or “large” rooms. Each of these room types also has a “double” version, e.g. 15x15 has 15x30 etc for specific room types (hangar, mess hall, gym etc).

The deck plans you will see below are one way of configuring them. We are building content design tools inside Unity which allows us (and later modders) to create new deck plans. The deck plans are created on a per-ship-section-basis. For example a frigate with a midship hangar section can have a different interior layout than a frigate with a standard midship section. Furthermore, we can easily extend this approach to also differentiate between factions i.e. an Osmani frigate could have a different layout than an Arkwright frigate. The tools are powerful so for us it is more a question of time and game balance constraints.

One more thing before we show the actual deck plans: The basic grid/cell size is 5 m which is the area that would be occupied by a 4-man fire team or single-wide door. This is our basic scale of measurement if you will. So here is the updated frigate deck plan:

We also wanted to share a preliminary deck plan for the destroyer. With twice the length of the frigate there is more space to work with. The destroyer comes equipped with heavy batteries and mounts an extra offensive battery. The destroyer also has more redundancy so in case one room is knocked out during combat, this can be less critical than on a frigate.

There are a lot of details we could go into for the deck plans, room types, crew positions, ranks etc. For example how we have rearranged and classified the “weapons” service branch rooms into “offensive batteries”, “defensive batteries” and “heavy batteries”. We could also talk about what upgrades would be required on a frigate to allow it to match or exceed the firepower of a standard destroyer (hint: ship section upgrades + tier quality). But we will save this for another update. In the mean time - feel free to study the deck plans and post your comments either on Kickstarter or over on the backer forums on the community site.

Moving on, as a follow-up to last update, we have now posted the pledge tier design templates for the various tiers. CLICK HERE to read the templates and to understand exactly what you are expected to deliver.

After you have checked your pledge tier then the next logical step is to login to the forums on the community site and visit the pledge forum called Pledge Tiers Design Discussion. This forum is only visible to registered backers and contains one sub-forum per backer design tier. In each sub-forum you will find sticky posts that outline the process, rules and guidelines that you should follow when doing your designs. All registered backers can read everything in this forum but only backers who pledged for a specific tier can post in that respective sub-forum.

Our train of thought is that you should be able to give and receive peer review feedback from other backers who are working on the same designs as yourself (If you wish to provide feedback in a pledge tier outside your own then feel free to send a private message to a backer. However, remember to be civil, respectful and constructive).

If you have lore questions then the volunteer scribes will help you out and if you run into any other problems then our volunteer moderators will also be there to help you.

IMPORTANT: On the 31st of March 2015 we will lock down the ability to pledge for design tiers. This will be your final chance to purchase or upgrade existing pledges. During April we will contact everybody who pledged to a specific tier and provide a link to which sub-forum on the community site they should use for posting their designs for peer feedback. During April and early May we will launch lore updates for the major factions as well as important NPC characters. This means that you will soon have a lot more lore and backstory which you can use as hooks for your own backer designs.

If you have an existing pledge and wish to upgrade it before the 31st of March, then the easiest way is to:

• goto store.mandategame.com (our old store)
  • click on the top-most “donate” button on the page
  • this takes you to a custom paypal store
  • you can pick the desired amount to donate and then send us a message via Kickstarter with your transaction ID and also tell us which pledge you wish to upgrade to
  • we will handle the rest
For the next update we plan to do a “meet the team” segment. And as a brief intro to this we wanted to share a video from Francisco “Kiko” Buyo who is our senior animator. Here is a video that outlines his work process as well as a few example animations that he did recently. We are working hard on gameplay examples and Kiko's animations tie-in with these... More to come soon!

Cheers,

Raapys

Arcane
Ye it looks good, and they seem to have a good handle on it even. I think they'll release, but I suspect the disappointment will come from repetitive content and few/simple gameplay features(with the possible exception of boarding). I definitely think we're envisioning more overall depth in the game than they actually intend on implementing.

Norfleet

I dunno, I don't think that's very coat-of-arms material. It is definitely valid nose art or a hood ornament, though. If I ever finish making such a game, you will definitely be permitted to do such a thing, it's traditional and has been around since the Age of Sail.

empyrean

Scholar
Update #48

Apr 2 2015

Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Hey backers,

Today we will first focus on a part of the game which we have not discussed in detail before, namely the Adventure Mode. Secondly we have had several requests to do a “meet the team” feature and we are kicking this off today. Actually, we decided to split it in two and the first part will focus on the art service branch while the second part will introduce the other service branches.

Before we begin, a quick word about our backer design pledge tiers and sign-off dates to purchase these. We originally set 31st of March as the deadline but we have received several requests from existing backers to postpone this deadline. So we will push the deadline to correspond with the next Kickstarter update which should be out on 16th of April. This is the final deadline so if you have been on the fence about upgrading then you should make a decision soon.

Instructions for how to upgrade via PayPal are provided at the end of KS Update #47. Pledge tier templates are available HERE. When your pledge upgrade has been confirmed you can post and receive feedback from other backers on the pledge sub-forum (which is invisible unless you login on the community site). Only backers at the same pledge tier as yourself are allowed to post feedback directly (everybody can send a private message with feedback, however). If you forgot your community site password then click HERE to reset your password. All backers now have an account in BackerKit and this is where we will later distribute your game keys. If you need to check BackerKit then click HERE to request an invitation.

Anyway - back on topic: Adventure Mode. As you may recall, the Adventure Mode is featured quite prominently in the game flow sketches in update #47. So what exactly is the Adventure Mode? Well, its the main gameplay screen in the game where players will spend the most of their time.

The Adventure Mode allows you to view and interact with your sandbox, move your fleet, interact with other factions, as well as build and upgrade your logistics, production and training capabilities. Whenever you are not doing space combat and/or boarding combat you will be in Adventure Mode.

From a design perspective the major goals with the Adventure Mode are as follows:

• Background story - a rich history that helps make the sandbox an interesting place to explore. Player choices during character creation will affect starting conditions and generate certain future events. The player will evolve the story through his or her actions such that it is unique for each player.
  • Sandbox gameplay - a living world where events take place and factions work towards their agendas even if the player does not participate.
  • Longevity & replayability - the Adventure Mode itself must have sufficient depth to support hours and hours of gameplay. Scripted chains of events should be avoided. Player choices made during space battle and boarding operations must be echoed in the Adventure Mode.
  • Tactile - All objects in space (planets, stars, asteroids etc) should serve a purpose and interacting with them will yield a corresponding and logical gameplay effect that is internally consistent in the game world. As the player gains more knowledge about the underlying game mechanics, more optimal usage of these objects should be possible.
On the design side what we are doing right now is prototyping our sandbox generator. The player sandbox will contain stellar objects like planets, stars, asteroids, gas giants, moons etc that you can interact with (ref “Tactile” above). We are planning how this interaction will happen and what the impact will be in early, mid and late game stages.

These stellar objects are logically grouped into star systems and of course each star system will have one (possibly two) stars at its center with the other stellar objects in orbit around. Zooming out, adjacent star systems are grouped into what we call clusters. Together the clusters form the player sandbox / game world. Each cluster, star system and stellar object will have a naming convention according to which faction is in control at the start of the game.

As part of the process we have used official data from NASA as well as other sources as a starting point to see the type of star systems we can generate as well as what type of diversity is possible. One key finding is that a “full real life simulation” would be boring as star systems would either be empty or have a lot of similar stellar objects. So we have already made several changes to the weighting and probability of generating certain types of star systems as well as the chance to generate specific types of stellar objects.

On the programming side we are working on having the Adventure Mode, Space Combat and Boarding Combat all running in parallel with the ability for the player to seamlessly switch between each of these three modes. If you remember update #45 from before Christmas we gave a brief description of the custom object entity model. Well, here it comes into play and is starting to pay off.

In terms of design and programming it is not that easy to visualize our progress right now. On the art side this is naturally a lot easier. One of our new artists, Chris, has been working in Substance Designer to create procedural textures for habitable planets, rocky planets, gas giants and stars.

Just for fun we tried to see how flexible the procedural textures are and whether we can recreate some of the more well-known gas giants and planets inside our own solar system. Original images above and our procedural versions below.

We also built a test star system to check how these objects look when placed together. Keep in mind that planet orbit and rotation speed is not finalized and for testing purposes only. This test star system spurred the discussion about how to handle asteroid belts as well as whether we want to visualize the solar wind. Chris, Garret and Vegard put together the video below to give you a glimpse of how a star system can look inside Adventure Mode.

As you can see the procedural textures are very powerful and allow us to create a wide variety of interesting looking stellar objects to populate the sandbox with. Of course we will continue to tweak and refine these further in the coming months but already we have a lot of parameters that we can randomize like cloud layers for planets or storms for gas giants.

That’s it for the Adventure Mode for now and we look forward to reading your comments and suggestions both here on Kickstarter and over on the backer community site.

Now it’s time for the “meet the team” feature. During the last few months we have been staffing up quite aggressively and the art team has grown from 4 to 13. The breakdown is as follows:

• 1x art director and 1x technical art director
  • 6x environment artists (including 1x lead artist)
  • 1x animator
  • 1x character artist
  • 2x concept artists
  • 1x VFX/particles artist
Most of February and the first half of March was spent getting everybody up to speed on the project. There is a lot of documentation to read and the procedural texture pipeline was quite new for most of our artists. The influx of new blood and the quality of the artwork that is being produced is already very inspiring. We thought it would be a good idea to let each of the artists introduce themselves and after that we will show some of the recent work that has been completed.

Art Team Presentation (PDF)

The art team is organized into two teams; one interior team and one exterior team. The interior team focuses on the rooms, consoles, corridors, characters and animations needed for boarding combat and planetary missions.

For the crew we plan to have four uniforms per faction: a duty suit (vac suit or jump suit if you will), a light armour, medium armour and finally heavy armour. Each uniform is split into four parts: lower body, upper body, arms and head. Below you can see some of the Grand Fleet faction uniforms. The heavy armour is still a work in progress. Note that the duty suit is currently equipped with the light armour helmet since the side cap is not completed. Since the textures are fully procedural we can change the material type as well as the armour into whatever we want.

The exterior team focuses on starships and starbases for space combat. We already revealed the concept for the Arkwright heavy cruiser earlier. Below we have a “family photo” without textures that shows off all the 9 ship sections (3 front, 3 middle and 3 back). This allows us to create 27 types of Arkwright heavy cruisers before doing texture modifications.

Below you can also see the Osmani heavy cruiser with some of its upgrade sections. The first image is the initial concept art that sets the art direction while the second image is an actual 3D model with textures.

That concludes the first segment of “meet the team”. The focus of the next couple of updates will be lore and backstory. This should prove helpful when designing backer content for inclusion with the game. If our lead writer’s task list is any indication, we suspect you will all be doing quite a bit of reading in the next couple of months:

Cheers,

When I was watching the video I thought they were talking about MCA but it's really a guy named Christopher Albeluhn. Anyway it's really nice to see that things are getting off the ground and this stuff gets me excited for the future updates again.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does anybody else not even read these updates because they're just too overwhelming?

Backer Release 1 (April)? Is this game about to release? :o

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom