Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The map discussion

Amasius

Augur
I agree that the NWN2 map is rather a nice background picture for some locations you can visit without any real purpose. In NWN2 and many other RPGs you "hop" from location to location without actually traveling. Sometimes there are some random encounters, but thats it. If you teleport between the different locations of such a game you don't need a clear and functional map, a nice one does it as well or better - it shouldn't provide specific informations but a certain atmosphere.

On the other hand if you actually travel on the map and crossing a river or climbing a mountain has consequences you need a useful map. The games with the arguably best traveling system are Realms of Arkadia 1 and 2. You need a lot of stuff to travel without problems and to avoid getting diseased or falling into a chasm. The top-down RoA map isn't very beautiful but useful:

RoAmap.jpg

Also Darklands has a very realistic map of medieval Germany.

So the question is which kind of travel system AoD has. If I'm not mistaken you are teleporting between the locations, so the map doesn't has to be "useful". The mountains in the north are an almost unconquerable barrier and I think this is better illustrated by 3D mountains as in the current AoD map or the NWN2 map than by a top-down one.

galsiah

Erudite
Amasius said:
If you teleport between the different locations of such a game you don't need a clear and functional map, a nice one does it as well or better - it shouldn't provide specific informations but a certain atmosphere.
I don't think that's all that's required, even with teleportation - providing a clear idea of context and position can be important anyway.
If the player ever needs to make any decision/assumption based on distances, locations, environmental conditions etc., then it'll help him to have a clear picture of the geographical state of things.

For example considerations like:
Can someone travel between X and Y in a day?
Is it necessary to cross the river to get to Y?
Would a group going from X to Y have likely stopped at Z (and become aware of the situation there...)?
Will I be passing through the forest in getting from X to Y?
Will I be passing through the territory of faction Z?
An NPC said he took a week to get from X to Y - is that credible, and what would explain the delay?
I met [nasty group of bad guys] travelling over [terrain type Z]. Will I be passing through such terrain on this trip?
Where would I hide if I were being pursued by guards from towns X and Y?
Where would an army from province Z likely attack first?
[importantly, none of these situations need be explicitly represented by game mechanics - they're implicitly represented in pre-scripted consequences]

I guess it's not that likely that many of these specific situations would be important in AoD. However, I find it unlikely that there aren't some situations in which reasonable positional understanding is assumed implicitly - e.g. in dialogue. In a game with many important choices and consequences, it's important that the player have a clear picture of the context in which those choices are made. A reasonably accurate map provides part of that context in an obvious, natural way - almost all of the above questions would be answered by a glance at the map (or known already from having seen it).

I'd prefer the map to the picture in any game - regardless of its actual importance. As a player I like to know what's going on in the game world so that I'm better equipped to make any decisions that do come up. If understanding the game world turns out not to be important, then that's unfortunate - but as a player, I don't know that up front. There's ample opportunity to throw atmosphere at the player in other artwork - splash screens, background images etc. When I look at a map, I want information. If it can also provide atmosphere, that's a plus.
Personally, I think I get more atmosphere from more functional maps in any case - they tell me more about the game world and give me a greater understanding of the context of world events.

Amasius

Augur
galsiah said:
If the player ever needs to make any decision/assumption based on distances, locations, environmental conditions etc., then it'll help him to have a clear picture of the geographical state of things.
I like your examples and I'd love to play a RPG where such considerations would matter but how often have you experienced something like this? Please name some games.

galsiah said:
I'd prefer the map to the picture in any game - regardless of its actual importance. As a player I like to know what's going on in the game world so that I'm better equipped to make any decisions that do come up. If understanding the game world turns out not to be important, then that's unfortunate - but as a player, I don't know that up front. There's ample opportunity to throw atmosphere at the player in other artwork - splash screens, background images etc. When I look at a map, I want information. If it can also provide atmosphere, that's a plus.
Personally, I think I get more atmosphere from more functional maps in any case - they tell me more about the game world and give me a greater understanding of the context of world events.
Fair point but that only means that as long as there are no actual gameplay reasons (and they are unfortunately rare) for a realistic top-down map it's only a matter of taste - some players like you prefer a map that pretends to contain important informations while others like a more artistically one - which can also give some informations (like terrain types, rivers, citys and towns) just to a lesser degree.

Severian Silk

I would prefer a non-teleporting map like in Fallout. It's one thing that disappointed me about ToEE.

laclongquan

Arcane
On the whole, I prefer walking map like Fallout. It's realistic and contain certain information that experienced players can glean just from looking alone.

Never play NWN series or TOEE so I dont know maps of those games. Are they any similar to maps of Baldur Gate universe or Planescape Torment?

Ah, Planescape Torment! Map of teleportation! Very nice looking, even if it's old. Great wallpaper materials. Take me back to the great ol days of ancient venerable games.

I imagine this map is prior to putting down icons of cities, towns, dungeons and the like? If them icons are made good and distinctive, I think the map will be fine. Any chance to put personal notes on the map (ala P:T style)?

Jora

Arcane
laclongquan said:
Never play NWN series or TOEE so I dont know maps of those games. Are they any similar to maps of Baldur Gate universe or Planescape Torment?
The map in TTOEE works in pretty much the same way as in the Infinity Engine games but you can access it without having to move to the edge of the screen. You could also travel to any location you want without having to go through some other area (you just have to have learned the location first)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom