Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Casual Hero

Augur
I want to actually make some progress in MM 6, but the only thing holding me back is the skill system. I don't know what skills to give who, and am afraid that will trip me up later in the game. So I am using Paladin-Archer-Cleric-Sorc, and could use some advise on skills. Right now my Paladin is focused on swords, archer uses axes, cleric uses mace, and sorc uses dagger. Also, everyone knows bows. Is this good?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
-Starting skills don't matter that much since you can buy them for money
-You could take a Knight instead of Pal since they are insanely good at tanking damage. Later in the game there is a spell that pools the party HP together, then gives 25% to everyone. Knights with their high HP may serve as "HP banks" for the purpose of using this spell.
-Sorcerer could use a staff since they have bonus to defense
-Archers can never use shields so it's a good idea to raise their dagger skill to expert level in order to make them use their second hand for something.

kmonster

Augur
Paladin is far better than Knight in MM6. Knights only have more HP, no other advantage. Therefore Knights were improved a lot in MM7. Weapon selection of your party is fine and bows are in fact most important.

You can't really mess up the skills, if you select something not so great you can simply gain a few levels (monsters respawn after some time, great for ginding ;-) ) and spend the new skill points.
In the end you'll have all your characters master their important skills anyway (and have some unimportant ones too) . How you get there isn't that important, choose your own path.

Casual Hero

Augur
Cool, I'm gonna stay with what I got. ;) This game is so good. Just finished up basically all the quest in New Sorp (I think), and heading off to Ironfist.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I went with three sorcerers and a cleric for Might and Magic 6. The game was somewhat tough at first, but ridiculously easy towards the middle and end; plus it began to feel like a shooter with all the blasts I was firing off.

Casual Hero

Augur
Cleared the Arena in Ironfist and now hunting down some trainers and doing dungeons. Very satisfying.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Paladin is far better than Knight in MM6. Knights only have more HP, no other advantage. Therefore Knights were improved a lot in MM7. Weapon selection of your party is fine and bows are in fact most important.
What? The knight's more HP are infinite times more useful than the crappy spells the paladin brings to the table. Tier 3 Knight + High Bodybuilding + Cleric spell 'share life' = full party heal. Now if the pally had access to Light/Dark, this would look different.
Same with archer, although the archer at least brings some AoE spells that ACTUALLY WORK.
Bows are only useful in the early game, too. You can substitute them with spells very soon and when you first get your hands on blasters, you'll curse every skill point you wasted on bows. Don't train them above expert level.
You can't really mess up the skills, if you select something not so great you can simply gain a few levels (monsters respawn after some time, great for ginding ;-) ) and spend the new skill points.
In the end you'll have all your characters master their important skills anyway (and have some unimportant ones too) . How you get there isn't that important, choose your own path.

Well, by the time monsters respawn in a certain area, you'll most likely be way too overleveled to get any significant xp out of them.
I think the best way of late game grinding is: Gamble for Pyramids in the circus -> exchange pyramids for jewelry -> sell jewelry -> throw money in a certain fountain.

Also, I think skill points are scarce enough to think twice about how to spend them. Don't waste skill points on stuff like identify or diplomacy, because you'll want to have as much as possible in Light/Meditation/Blasters...

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
You only get blasters at the very end of the game at which point if you didn't spend your skill points willy-nilly but actually kept them hoarded them you should have enough to train blasters to master level. When that happen everything else stops mattering since you can go into real time, hold a and just mow everything in your way.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You only get blasters at the very end of the game at which point if you didn't spend your skill points willy-nilly but actually kept them hoarded them you should have enough to train blasters to master level. When that happen everything else stops mattering since you can go into real time, hold a and just mow everything in your way.
yes, that's basically what I'm saying.
Spare some 40-50 skill points per character for the blaster skill. Don't waste them, espiecially not on bows.

Casual Hero

Augur
So.... many.... side-quests! Like, seriously! I've barely scratched the surface of MM 6. But I must say, temple of Baa was, in a word, EPIC. Nothing like fighting off hordes upon hordes of skeletons. That was so fun, and I didn't even run onto the ledge to fight them using arrows. Phew, it was hard, but awesome.

DaveO

Erudite
Each map area tends to have a few available quests. Auto record of the trainer locations was not until MM7, so you'll have to write them down or use a walkthrough to find them. Let's see if you still say EPIC after Castle Darkmoor with the liches and flying eyes. I was able to get thu without as much hardship as the pyramid with the genies and terminators, but your reaction may be:rage:

m_s0

Arcane
Each map area tends to have a few available quests. Auto record of the trainer locations was not until MM7, so you'll have to write them down or use a walkthrough to find them. Let's see if you still say EPIC after Castle Darkmoor with the liches and flying eyes.
I like how long dungeons are in MM6, but yeah, Castle Darkmoor is where this bites you in the ass hard.
I was able to get thu without as much hardship as the pyramid with the genies and terminators, but your reaction may be:rage:
I don't remember it being anywhere near as irritating as CD.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Holy shit, Castle Darkmoor. Those eyes... those eyes... they keep staring at me, and the liches... they dispel my buffs through the walls ! It's hell, I want out !

WM7Pvio.jpg

Casual Hero

Augur
Oh, yeah, I'm not looking forward to it. I stumbled on Castle Darkmoor on accident and was out of there faster than I could say, "Screw this!"

Luzur

Good Sir
Holy shit, Castle Darkmoor. Those eyes... those eyes... they keep staring at me, and the liches... they dispel my buffs through the walls ! It's hell, I want out !

WM7Pvio.jpg

sneaking around walls and doing the ring of fire to hit the eyes through walls was my tactic, the liches i kinda just cornered and rushed whn it was possible, otherwise peek in room, fire a volley, duck back out.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
The mid-90s had that period where tons of games were using FMV with live action actors and while MM6 didn't have in their cutscenes, they decided to use them for the portraits.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
they decided to use them for the portraits.
This decision alaways left me with mixed feelings, on the one hand it's funny and fits the game series' long tradition of second degree, on the other it's a bit too "in your face" to really fit and becomes pretty annoying when replaying the game. I decided to give "The chaos conspiracy" megamod a try, and I'm using "Legendary heroes" a cosmetic mod that changes (among other things) portraits to give them a more traditional M&M style.

For those interested in replaying the game without the usual mugs, it looks like this :
ER0DvwO.jpg

I personnaly like it well enough, but tastes may of course vary.

treborSux

Arcane
I've played or at least tried playing all of MM I-V, but I never even played VI and I think it was because of those disgusting modern esque portraits that rubbed me the wrong way. That dude with the 90s ass hair and the other dude with the ponytail. It looks like people you would see at a renaissance fair or something.

Naraya

Arcane
Is there a mod for M&M 6 to play in windowed mode and to get rid of the fugly italic font and replace it with something legible? It's driving me crazy.

Redlands

Arcane
I've played or at least tried playing all of MM I-V, but I never even played VI and I think it was because of those disgusting modern esque portraits that rubbed me the wrong way. That dude with the 90s ass hair and the other dude with the ponytail. It looks like people you would see at a renaissance fair or something.

I remember feeling the same way. It felt weird after V, but I pushed through with it and ended up liking it quite a lot. VII and VIII not quite so much, but I think that's probably somewhat due to parent company 3DO running into financial difficulties and riding their cash cows into the ground.

lorn

Educated
For me, my M&M journey started with 6. Absolutely loved that game and finished all M&Ms after that. I did try to play 1-5, but they were before my time and as I really like good user interfaces, I just couldn't get into any of them. The inventory system is atrocious.

The best game in the series for me is a very hard choice between 6 and 7. 7 has better game systems (classes, races, progression, choice between good and evil and most importantly the skill system is much improved); 6 on the other hand has more and higher quality content. If NWC had been given the time to flesh out MM7, it could have excellent.

By the way, does anybody whether there is still something going with the MMTribute game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom