Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters
There's absolutely no reason not to use the patch.

Goblino

Savant
So what's the general consensus on 8? I notice it has very few votes in here. In my experiences, it's been kinda nice. I like how smoothly it plays and the opening island is pretty chill to run around on. I haven't been far into it, but I would expect it to have more recognition here from what I've seen of it.

Zeriel

Arcane
The game balance is kind of shit and the story is hilariously dumb, but if you ignore dragons and the other overpowered races and just kind of muddle through with a typical MM6 or MM7 party it can be pretty cool. Definitely has a much better beginning portion and tapers off after a bit.

It's not especially good and I'd recommend MM7 over it, but if you've played 6 and 7 already and still want more it's certainly better than series other than Might & Magic that came later or M&M 9.

Goblino

Savant
That makes sense then. I've played some of 6, but havent touched 7. Might check it out if 8 is 2shyt4me.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Speaking of grayface patch - If I map the movement keys to WASD, is there any possibility to map quickattack(A)/-spell(S) to somewhere else or are they overwritten and lost?

Zeriel

Arcane
That makes sense then. I've played some of 6, but havent touched 7. Might check it out if 8 is 2shyt4me.

7 has pretty good story, better mechanics, the only place where it falls down is in content compared to 6. So if you loved the amount of areas in 6 you might be a little disappointed, but it's not like it's a small game by modern standards (or even Might & Magic standards).

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So what's the general consensus on 8? I notice it has very few votes in here. In my experiences, it's been kinda nice. I like how smoothly it plays and the opening island is pretty chill to run around on. I haven't been far into it, but I would expect it to have more recognition here from what I've seen of it.

I liked MM8. It definitely was not as good as its predecessors, but it was still a fun enough game, and the last of the series made by Jon Van Caneghem. And I liked playing with the overpowered dragon in my party, with all the flying and distance attacks that let my inner child squeal with glee.

Why.jpeg

Learned
Welp my first attempt to leave Sorpigal ended with my ass being raped by a mob of goblins. I get the feeling a more balanced party of 2 knights, cleric and sorcerer would be better. Speaking of that Grayface patch I cant get it to install correctly, do I need to install something else first?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Your first party is one of the best endgame combos, but also the weakest early.
Double Knights get godawful very soon. Lategame, the only purpose a Knight serves is to provide a huge HP pool to be distributed via Share Life spell.
Pally and 3 true spell casters are IMO fairly balanced throughout every phase of the game and a decent choice for beginners. Also check out Pope Amole II 's funbuilding series for MM6. Much insight about character creation/useful/not-so-useful skills to be found there, if you don't want to find out the hard way.

as for the patch itself-did you get it from there: https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm ? Did you choose the correct installation path? The patch is all you need and should work with any version.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

I think MM6 is larger (big dungeons, espiecally) than MM7 and that MM7 is larger than MM8, and that MM7 and MM8 barely add something to the formula.
I think that MM8 is good (I could say very good), but it looks like a cheaper version of MM7 which already looked like a cheaper version of MM6 , so there's no real reason to recommend it in the first place. What I usually say is that if you already played MM6&7 and if you want the same thing a very little worse and smaller, you should play MM8.

Why.jpeg

Learned
Yeah that is what I used. Probably fucked up the install path. 26 years old and still cannot into proper installation of shit. Fucking shameful.

There are shitloads of mobs and when I ran out of energy I was immediately fucked. I think I will muscle through and use turn base dagger swipes to kill the fucks.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Weren't you the one I gave the UPlay key? Then your installation directory will most likely be C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Might and Magic VI, which the patch doesn't default to.
Yeah, just keep hanging in there. The challenge you face now are nothing compared to when you hit castle Darkmoor, and by then you will be glad to have brought four full-on spellcasters.
shitloads of mobs
Hold on, shitloads? On the way to the goblin watch and the temple dungeon, there are no goblin groups larger than 5, and those should be the areas you go first. Save the other areas (The planes east of sorpigal over the hills? Or the area south of the ship with hundreds of mages?) for when you got fireball/ meteor shower etc.

Last edited:

Why.jpeg

Learned
Weren't you the one I gave the UPlay key? Then your installation directory will most likely be C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Might and Magic VI, which the patch doesn't default to.
Yeah, just keep hanging in there. The challenge you face now are nothing compared to when you hit castle Darkmoor, and by then you will be glad to have brought four full-on spellcasters.
shitloads of mobs
Hold on, shitloads? On the way to the goblin watch and the temple dungeon, there are no goblin groups larger than 5, and those should be the areas you go first. Save the other areas (The planes east of sorpigal over the hills? Or the area south of the ship with hundreds of mages?) for when you got fireball/ meteor shower etc.
Yeah using that one. Thanks again. I picked the wrong folder but that shit is sorted now. My problem with the mobs I kept running backwards spamming quick casts so I ended up pulling multiple groups. Ill save jogging like a retard for later when I have a better grasp of this game and play turn based right now.

Luzur

Good Sir

I liked MM8. It definitely was not as good as its predecessors, but it was still a fun enough game, and the last of the series made by Jon Van Caneghem. And I liked playing with the overpowered dragon in my party, with all the flying and distance attacks that let my inner child squeal with glee.

It was a rushed game, that can be seen ingame even, but it works although i am kinda confused why people havent modded the shit out of that too, everyone seem so focused on MM6.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Welp my first attempt to leave Sorpigal ended with my ass being raped by a mob of goblins. I get the feeling a more balanced party of 2 knights, cleric and sorcerer would be better. Speaking of that Grayface patch I cant get it to install correctly, do I need to install something else first?
Take a carrige to Castle Ironfist and get some bows. They'll make the early game a lot easier.

And yes, knights are pretty shit in MM6. Paladins and especially archers are much better choices.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I like the game for its unusual character classes. Some classes are obiously a lot more shit than others, but I appreciate the unique flavor that they all bring to the party. How many RPGs let you party with vampires, dragons, minotaur and ogres?

Zeriel

Arcane

I think MM6 is larger (big dungeons, espiecally) than MM7 and that MM7 is larger than MM8, and that MM7 and MM8 barely add something to the formula.
I think that MM8 is good (I could say very good), but it looks like a cheaper version of MM7 which already looked like a cheaper version of MM6 , so there's no real reason to recommend it in the first place. What I usually say is that if you already played MM6&7 and if you want the same thing a very little worse and smaller, you should play MM8.

MM7 adds a LOT, it's just a debate of whether people consider what it adds important.

Off the top of my head:

Skill system is more in depth (Grandmaster)
Class promotions are now dark/light divided, with included choices in the story to go along with that
There is ACTUAL TURN-BASED COMBAT NOW (yeah, can you tell I think it's ridiculous to have only pausing real-time in 6?)

The more structured story with good/evil choices comes at the cost of a smaller overall game, it seems like Codex mostly prefers the larger game than the stuff 7 adds, but I'm one of those who considers 7 the best possible version of the 6-8 real-time/turn-based hybrid.

I like the game for its unusual character classes. Some classes are obiously a lot more shit than others, but I appreciate the unique flavor that they all bring to the party. How many RPGs let you party with vampires, dragons, minotaur and ogres?

Yeah, it kind of reminds me of all those offbeat MUDs that allowed you to play as predators or aliens or even gods (i.e pvp extravaganza mudbase Godwars). Pretty cool and I'd love to see the idea fleshed out more, 8 just suffered from being rushed, like everything else NWC/3DO at the time.

It was a rushed game, that can be seen ingame even, but it works although i am kinda confused why people havent modded the shit out of that too, everyone seem so focused on MM6.

Are you really surprised? I mean, it was a new setting that didn't present itself as very compelling, and I think we've established by all the hate Ubisoft gets that people have a serious hard-on for Enroth. That seems to be what all modders focus on.

Goblino

Savant
Geez you quoted me like 20 times in one post bro. I think 7 might end up being just right for my style. It's unpopular to be this guy, but six feels like it's too big, I think I quit playing it back when I first tried it out because I kept hearing about how many hundreds of hours there could be and I kept seeing videos of massively long combat encounters. I fucking loved the dungeons though, and I'd say that the first dungeon in mm8 was bretty fuckin cool. My favorite part was the room with the floors you can fall through into snake rape. My first time, I fell right into it, but then I learned to use my wits and saw the red track on the ceiling. Reminds me of how sensory kings field 4 is.

Zeriel

Arcane
Sorry man, just lazy when quoting other people who were in the same quote pyramid.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
With grayface mm6 patch and optimized builds & henchmen (focusing instead of spreading the points around; using a healer for melee or +7 magic skills for casters) you can easily go through the 6 in, like, 50-60 hours. For an RPG, that's rather average, I think.

The real problem with 7 is that while seemingly its systems were optimised, in practice they got rather broken. Whereas in VI all the classes were useful (even the knights - dunno why people complain about them, 2x knights with 25+ bodybuilding and shared life solve all your healing needs nicely and you can totally punch off the dragons' ugly mugs), in VII we have three absolute suckers (ranger-rogue-druid) and hybrid classes (paladin & archer) being degraded into one-trick ponies. Sure, their perma-bash & bow limit break capabilities might be interesting to explore, but that's that. Most of the other grandmasters are actually rather boring, giving just plain increase to some fighting capacity.

And in terms of casting it got way too safe & stale. Whereas in VI dark & light were balanced by huge MP costs, universal resistances & sometimes wonky effects (which applied to all magical schools, though), in VII dark path makes all other schools obsolete and light, while not so cool offensively, still makes the game stupidly easy via god mode on (divine interventions anytime, anywhere, en masse). Not to mention that stuff like Protection from Magic really takes the edge out of the game (which is a rather unpopular opinion, unfortunately).

The game lost a lot of subtleties too. Different shops opening & closing at different times, some useless henchmen that can still give you rumors or flavor, money becoming useless (in VI there was a crude yet efficient economy), etc. The world is also not brutal enough - in VI, half of the map was filled with really nasty areas. In VII, most of the map are just safe low-level encounters. Metagaming also got more boring, tbh - none of the explosive Gate Master starts.

I'm not saying that VII is bad as the overall formula is still decent, but it's not as good as the VI.

Why.jpeg

Learned
Alright. Got my team in MM6 outfitted with bows per suggestion and it has helped a lot. Still get buttmad and frustrated with the combat at times but the moments of satisfaction make it worth it. As a good rule of thumb how high should I raise my bow skill?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
expert should be more than fine. you could go master with your knights tho.

Concerning MM7: I think the big elephant in the room is that most dungeons sucked compared to MM6. No acromage and no grandmaster skills can redeem that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom