Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.5%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.3%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Why.jpeg

Learned
expert should be more than fine. you could go master with your knights tho.

Concerning MM7: I think the big elephant in the room is that most dungeons sucked compared to MM6. No acromage and no grandmaster skills can redeem that.
I decided not to re-roll with a couple knights in my party, still rocking my original 2x sorcerer, 2x cleric party. Expert is skill level 4 in terms of skill points right? Or rather that is at least the lowest you can train for it.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Alright. Got my team in MM6 outfitted with bows per suggestion and it has helped a lot. Still get buttmad and frustrated with the combat at times but the moments of satisfaction make it worth it. As a good rule of thumb how high should I raise my bow skill?
I'd recommend not raising it at all. You can kill most early game monsters just fine with only 1 point in bows, and with a party of 4 dedicated spellcasters you'll quickly stop relying on bows anyway.

Why.jpeg

Learned
Alright. Got my team in MM6 outfitted with bows per suggestion and it has helped a lot. Still get buttmad and frustrated with the combat at times but the moments of satisfaction make it worth it. As a good rule of thumb how high should I raise my bow skill?
I'd recommend not raising it at all. You can kill most early game monsters just fine with only 1 point in bows, and with a party of 4 dedicated spellcasters you'll quickly stop relying on bows anyway.
Well too late for that, already raised it to 3. Increasing it has been of enormous help in sorting out the abandoned temple and goblinwatch though. Can't expect everything to go perfectly the first time I play. Bah I say, second playthrough is for mini-maxing anyway.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
yes, all skills require 4 points to become expert. you dont even need to skill them at all, because soon quick cast will become your main kiting source.

Why.jpeg

Learned
yes, all skills require 4 points to become expert. you dont even need to skill them at all, because soon quick cast will become your main kiting source.
I've been spamming both. I'll focus on finding those nifty transportation spells and doing quests as I slowly murder my way through fuckloads of enemies in my travels. Mailmen in Enroth must have to enacted genocides to get the job done.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Well too late for that, already raised it to 3. Increasing it has been of enormous help in sorting out the abandoned temple and goblinwatch though. Can't expect everything to go perfectly the first time I play. Bah I say, second playthrough is for mini-maxing anyway.
Indeed, indeed. That's the right attitude.

You have no idea how much I envy you, man. What wouldn't I do to be able to experience MM6 like the first time again... :negative:

Why.jpeg

Learned
You have no idea how much I envy you, man. What wouldn't I do to be able to experience MM6 like the first time again... :negative:

So far its been a blast. Exhausted all the content I could find in New Sorpigal and have moved on to do some Castle Ironfist quests. I'll definitely be coming back to New Soprigal once I can fly over to the small islands across the water though.

Diggfinger

Arcane
So what's the general consensus on 8? I notice it has very few votes in here. In my experiences, it's been kinda nice. I like how smoothly it plays and the opening island is pretty chill to run around on. I haven't been far into it, but I would expect it to have more recognition here from what I've seen of it.

I finished it (8); had some good parts, especially the ending is really cool. It carried over some incremental improvements from 6 and 7, notably there being more loot.

Generally, however, the engine really started to wear on me at this point (having finished 6 and 7 just before), and I didn't much appreciate the new party structure.

Might and Might 9, on the other hand, was a monster. Frick I loved that game…finished and started planning a new party immediately! It was directed by Tim Lang (huge Fallout nerd and all round decent guy). Find out more about him here; 3amGaming Interview.

People criticise it because it was released in what is basically Alpha state. A lot of polish, especially graphics, were needed.
But the game itself is rock solid and did a lot of cool stuff to spice up the formula (which was desperately needed at this point). And I didn't notice a single bug in the GOG version.

Digg recommended!

Zdzisiu

Arcane
So what's the general consensus on 8? I notice it has very few votes in here. In my experiences, it's been kinda nice. I like how smoothly it plays and the opening island is pretty chill to run around on. I haven't been far into it, but I would expect it to have more recognition here from what I've seen of it.

I finished it (8); had some good parts, especially the ending is really cool. It carried over some incremental improvements from 6 and 7, notably there being more loot.

Generally, however, the engine really started to wear on me at this point (having finished 6 and 7 just before), and I didn't much appreciate the new party structure.

Might and Might 9, on the other hand, was a monster. Frick I loved that game…finished and started planning a new party immediately! It was directed by Tim Lang (huge Fallout nerd and all round decent guy). Find out more about him here; 3amGaming Interview.

People criticise it because it was released in what is basically Alpha state. A lot of polish, especially graphics, were needed.
But the game itself is rock solid and did a lot of cool stuff to spice up the formula (which was desperately needed at this point). And I didn't notice a single bug in the GOG version.

Digg recommended!
Maybe... maybe... I could give it a try... but after one of my original MM9 discs exploded in my CD-Rom back in the days, I was scared for life.

Edit: Any essential patches and stuff? Yes, uninstall.exe is all I will need, I know!

Diggfinger

Arcane
Indeed, indeed. That's the right attitude.

This won't hurt one bit…
maxresdefault.jpg

Diggfinger

Arcane

Digg recommended!
Maybe... maybe... I could give it a try... but after one of my original MM9 discs exploded in my CD-Rom back in the days, I was scared for life.

Edit: Any essential patches and stuff? Yes, uninstall.exe is all I will need, I know!

I just played the GOG version, no additional patches added.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

GOG version come with fan-made TELP patch 1.3. Still meet some bug, like the missing imps in castle but you will not suffer from anything except graphic style.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
How the fuck do you guys deal with petrification in M&M1 ? Whenever I try to venture into Medusa's Lair for instance, I end up getting STONED to death in a matter of rounds with no way out of it, tried to buff defenses, blind 'em, make the party invisible but these fuckers get me anyway...

:negative:

I play with the base party, got around 130k xp so everybody's level 8. The stone to flesh spell is far from my reach so that option is out for the moment.
I feel i'm in this weird xp range where any content is either too ez (with too little xp and rewards) or too damn hard...
Although I started playing with little hope in my will to keep much on, but this game is damn fuckin great for an apple II crpg, couldn't bear the bard's tale for long in comparision.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There is a kind of oil (don't remember the excact name) for sale in one of the cities (the last of the five ones, I think). Load up your characters with lots of oil before venturing forth into the Medusa's Lair. The oil casts the Stone to Flesh spell when used.
Also, make sure you get a blessing from a temple first.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Is it magic oil sold in Dusk ? The shit costs so fucking much... owell time to farm the crazed wizard cave.

If money is a problem, it sounds like you're entering the Medusa's Lair too early.
When I played it was one of the last dungeons I cleared before the north-west areas.

Luzur

Good Sir
How the fuck do you guys deal with petrification in M&M1 ? Whenever I try to venture into Medusa's Lair for instance, I end up getting STONED to death in a matter of rounds with no way out of it, tried to buff defenses, blind 'em, make the party invisible but these fuckers get me anyway...

:negative:

I play with the base party, got around 130k xp so everybody's level 8. The stone to flesh spell is far from my reach so that option is out for the moment.
I feel i'm in this weird xp range where any content is either too ez (with too little xp and rewards) or too damn hard...
Although I started playing with little hope in my will to keep much on, but this game is damn fuckin great for an apple II crpg, couldn't bear the bard's tale for long in comparision.

Do remember that your first char must have the head when you go back to Lord Hack, otherwise he wont recognize that you have it, happened to me.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Yeah I realized that when I brought some garlic to the dude. However I fell upon a starter guide on the web that led me to the wyvern lair as a farming spot and i'm quite amazed at how efficient it is. Around 2k xp and 800x6 gold per fight (which are pretty easy compared to some way way less rewarding ones) is fucking awesome. I understand now how poor I really was regarding gold.

Anyway i'm on a roll now, thanks for the tips and info.

thexsa

Educated
Wait so 9 is ,like, playable?

Highly playable! Just clearly unfinished in the graphics department*.

I finished it once and dang near started a second play through (until life got in the way…:negative:)

*But if you want graphics, better check in with Bethesda

Fucking game wont ever start for me again after I upgraded gfx-cards.

Same OS(64-bit Win7). Still SLI. Same manufacturer. Crash at startup. Hadn't played it for a few months, so probably new gfx-drivers that are messing with it.

Can play other notoriously hard-to-launch-games without a problem like Gothic 1 + 2, but this game just auto-crashes when the lithtech.exe is called. Doesn't even get to the first intro-video.

Same OS(64-bit Win7). Still SLI. Same manufacturer. Crash at startup. Hadn't played it for a few months, so probably new gfx-drivers that are messing with it.

Can play other notoriously hard-to-launch-games without a problem like Gothic 1 + 2, but this game just auto-crashes when the lithtech.exe is called. Doesn't even get to the first intro-video.

Are you using retail discs or the GOG release? I'm asking because I remember having a similar, if not the same, problem with my CDs + TELP patch, yet the GOG version worked without a hitch on the same machine for some reason.

Why.jpeg

Learned
I just brutally assfucked the Shadow Guild Hideout. I wouldn't want to do it often but completely steam rolling a dungeon on your first visit can be immensely satisfying.

thexsa

Educated

Are you using retail discs or the GOG release? I'm asking because I remember having a similar, if not the same, problem with my CDs + TELP patch, yet the GOG version worked without a hitch on the same machine for some reason.

Tried both, actually. (own GOG, downloaded original image files)

Now I found out something new. G-Sync does NOT like old games. At all. Experimented a lot with turning off G-Sync today and it solved pretty much all issues I've had with some older games, this included.

Luzur

Good Sir
Wait so 9 is ,like, playable?

Highly playable! Just clearly unfinished in the graphics department*.

I finished it once and dang near started a second play through (until life got in the way…:negative:)

*But if you want graphics, better check in with Bethesda

It is playable, i finished it vanilla when it came out, but expect alot of minor animation bugs, texture bugs, general bugs and crashes.

Patch it of you can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom