Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Archibald

Arcane
I see, are single player maps considered for such list then? If I'm not mistaken HoMM5 had some story attached to them that looked like it was happening in "same" continuity.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
Me, obsessed with Might and Magic? Why would you ever think such a thing :M

I've been replaying bits and pieces of M&M and HOMM, and have come to the realization that my timeline as I originally posted may have some errors in it. Since I had some fun reworking it, I thought I might as well post the corrected version if anyone cares.

Might and Magic I: Secret of the Inner Sanctum
Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World
Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra
Might and Magic IV-V: World of Xeen (finish Cloudside before Darkside)
(Descendants campaign from Price of Loyalty)
Heroes Chronicles: Warlord of the Wasteland
Heroes Chronicles: Conquest of the Underworld
Heroes Chronicles: Revolt of the Beastmasters
Heroes Chronicles: Master of the Elements
Heroes Chronicles: The World Tree
Heroes Chronicles: The Fiery Moon
Heroes of Might and Magic I
Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Succession Wars
Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Price of Loyalty (Descendants starts much earlier, but ends around the same time the other campaigns take place)
(Dragon's Blood campaign from Armageddon's Blade)
Heroes Chronicles: Clash of the Dragons
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Shadow of Death
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
(Foolhardy Waywardness campaign from Armageddon's Blade)
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia
Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
Heroes of Might and Magic III: Armageddon's Blade (except 2 of the campaigns, see above)
Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer
Heroes Chronicles: The Sword of Frost
Heroes of Might and Magic IV
Might and Magic IX: Writ of Fate

I still have problems fitting HOMM2 POL expansion into the timeline, but then it wasn't developed by NWC. I don't think there's anything in it that references any characters, events or places from any of the other games, including HOMM2 itself. Also, I've no idea if the HOMM4 expansions fit, and if they do, if they should occur after the base game campaigns, or before the Reckoning. The AB campaigns are largely independent but they all seem to occur after the main AB campaign, with 2 exceptions: Foolhardy Waywardness, which definitely occurs where I've placed it per its ending, and Dragon's Blood, which is giving me some trouble because of Clash of the Dragons. Clash of the Dragons, which definitely takes place after Dragon's Blood, mentions a King of Erathia, but there is no King of Erathia at any time after RoE. And finally, I lumped MM1-5 together at the beginning because it's simpler to do it this way than to try and figure out where they occur in the Enroth/Erathia timeline, to which they are almost completely unrelated anyway.

Maybe I should do something similar for the Ashan chronology :M

You do realize that this idea of compiling a timeline has been around the MM forums since the 3DO years, right?

Luzur

Good Sir
You do realize that this idea of compiling a timeline has been around the MM forums since the 3DO years, right?

Is there a consensus for the correct timeline?

Not...really, actually, there are as many "correct timelines" as there are people researching and trying to shoehorn stuff in.

Even making a world map of Enroth and placing the continents correctly is still a major guessing game/debate in the MM society.

Archibald

Arcane
There are also some contradictions, as far as geography goes, in the games if I'm not mistaken.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
There are also some contradictions, as far as geography goes, in the games if I'm not mistaken.
There are, and some are pretty major, like Bracada being a desert in MM7 and snowy mountains in HOMM3. Someone was also trying to place Antagarich, Enroth and Jadame in relation to each other and ran into contradictions. That's also the problem I have with my timeline, especially with Mutare's arc. It HAS to occur before RoE because there's a King of Erathia, but then Clash of the Dragons mentions the tunnels from Nighon to Erathia, so it has to occur after RoE... but there are Kreegan running around in it, so it has to occur before the AB main campaign... and so on.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Might and Magic 2. Third time is a charm, eh?

Quicksand in C4 one of the most evil traps ever. Almost sure death for one party member.
Need to find Fire Talon, Orb and to the Square Lake! Oh should I really try to kill Mega-Dragon? Decisions, decisions...

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might and Magic 2. Third time is a charm, eh?

Quicksand in C4 one of the most evil traps ever. Almost sure death for one party member.
Need to find Fire Talon, Orb and to the Square Lake! Oh should I really try to kill Mega-Dragon? Decisions, decisions...
Quicksand in MM3 was worse, instant death for first two party members as well as being in more than one zone.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Quicksand in MM3 was worse, instant death for first two party members as well as being in more than one zone.
In M&M3 you could at least save anytime.

Sometimes E2 encounters are deathwish even for high level party. Time Lords and Cuisinarts, oh my.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Might and Magic 2 max stat guide
or So, You Want to be a Demi-God?

There are seven stats in M&M2. Might, Intellect, Personality, Endurance, Speed, Accuracy and Luck. Duh. Every stat can be from 0 to 255. Stat value increased by item or skill still considered "true" stat value. I.e. if your might, for example, 40, you equipped +10 to might item and tried to eat some spinach (+10 might if might < 50), you are shit out of luck. Remove item, eat spinach and you will get your 60 might. Same with some skills.
Another effect of 255 being absolute maximum, that you can permanently decrease your stats.
Say, if you have 240 might and equipped +20 might item, you will get 255 might. But when you remove this item - your might'll become 235.

There are several ways to increase your stats in M&M2:
1) Skills - semi-permanent increase
Athlete - speed +5
Linguist - intellect +5
Hero/Heroine - +1 to all stats
2)Items. - increased until item is removed.
Self-explanatory
3)Spell and item effects. - temporary
3)Places that grant +10 stat until it < 50. So, if your stat was 20, you will end with 50, but if your stat was 19, you will end with 59.
Might - Druids' Cave - 1,15
Int - Atlantium cave - 11,15
Personality - Ice (b2) dungeon - 8,15/7,15
Endurance - Vulcania cave - 15,14
Speed - Nomadic rift - 0,15
Accuracy - Pinehurst Dungeon 1 - 14,13
Luck - Dawn's Cave - 12,7
4)Circus quest. Grants +10 to stat until it reaches 100.
Beware, if stat was > 100 already, it will become 100.
5)Stat trading places.
Hillstone Dungeon 1 0,0 - -5 Int +3 Mgt
Hillstone Dungeon 2 3,9 - -5 End +3 Int
Woodshaven Dungeon 1 15,0 - -5 Per +3 Mgt
Woodshaven Dungeon 2 8,6 - -5 Lck +3 Per
Luxus Dungeon 1 5,0 - -5 Spd +3 End
Luxus Dungeon 2 15,0 - -5 Mgt +3 Spd
Pinehurst Dungeon 1 2,7 - -5 Spd +3 Acc
Pinehurst Dungeon 2 4,15 - -5 Per +3 Lck
Remember that lowest stat is 0? Say, you had 55 might (with +5 might item). You can trade 55 might for 33 speed. Now you have 0 might. Remove and equip +5 might item and your might is 5. Trade, remove/equip until your speed is less than 255. If it's too buggy/slow for you - just visit Druids' cave 5 times and again trade this 50 might for speed.

You can easily get mgt 255, int 255 (very important for Enchant item), per 100, end 100, speed 255 and 255 luck.
Most of it obvious, but I hope that my description of bugs that can decrease stats is useful.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Another thing. When attributes are permanently changed, you don't see it until you a)rest b)finish combat c)flee from combat d)hide from combat.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished this re-play of M&M2.
Square Lake is probably most uninspired dungeon ever. Still, it's was very quick with my party of 85 level heroes. Sheltem was killed by one attack of my Knight with his enchanted +34 Photon Blade. By the way, if you don't saved King Kalohn first, end tile in Square Lake will just send you to surface.

Anyone know any other fixed encounters that leave Doomsday Boxes, except from the Cat from Hell and the 3 Cuisinarts?
I think Death-in-the-Box from D3 9,14 leaves Doomsday Box, but I can be wrong.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Lvl 85? Heh, you must have done a lot of slicing and dicing.
BTW, was +34 the highest item bonus you found?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Lvl 85? Heh, you must have done a lot of slicing and dicing.
BTW, was +34 the highest item bonus you found?
Nope, enchanted from scratch, usually on elemental planes to save time. Highest item found was +30 or +31.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm thinking about replaying M&M3 for the first time in 20 years.

Question - have they fixed the bugs in that game? Like the Brother Zeta quest, that one square on the swamp island that locks up the game and the constantly spawning spiders on one of the earlier isles?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yep, all of these were fixed by the patched version. Where are you playing the game from? All compilations (and Steam and GOG versions) should be the patched version.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm thinking about replaying M&M3 for the first time in 20 years.

Question - have they fixed the bugs in that game? Like the Brother Zeta quest, that one square on the swamp island that locks up the game and the constantly spawning spiders on one of the earlier isles?
It doesn't lock up the game, but it still keep spawning spiders.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
:bro: (from a bloodied stump) to everyone for the answers.

2 out of 3 bugs squashed is good, especially since it's the bad ones.

Like I said, I last played M&M3 sometime before 1995 and was using a non-legal version at the time. This time round I'll probably be using the copy included with the "Special Edition" of M&M6.

I'll check out the patch as well. :D

EDIT: Another question. Ludmeister has created a mod for M&M3 that, among tons of other things, adds this:

The developers left an entire map in the game resources, which they took out at release. I have restored that map... and left it otherwise untouched. You all will love it. I guarantee it.

Any further info available?

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I didn't like the changes the mod (as opposed to the patch) did, so I didn't get to experience that restored map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom