Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm with Dux on this matter. My issue with MM2 is the same, everything just got too bloated. Every single level and every single stat increase in MM 1 had a huge impact whereas in MM2 you encoutner random npcs which throws +50 to a stat your way and you cant even tell the difference. The world also felt a lot more dangerous, paths would be cut off and each area had a fixed location you would be transported to if you were to run from combat, often resulting in finding yourself in a new unfamiliar area not knowing whether you would make it back safely to the inn.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Which game is more difficult combat-wise - Terra (MM3) or Xeen?
Probably Swords of Xeen. Great game, but with some bugs in its quests (be sure to cast Lloyd's Beacon in the first town before the giants descend from the mountains or your party will starve to death unless you leveled up like a master).
It's a fan made officially released add-on so it has everything you can love in WoX plus some disturbing text boxes and a really challenging difficulty.

kmonster

Augur
Well, turns out Wizardry 7 is too hardcore for a popamole person like me :)
So I'm considering playing some nice blobber instead - Wizardry 8 or a Might & Magic..
Which game is more difficult combat-wise - Terra (MM3) or Xeen? I loved MM6, which of the older MMs is closer to it? (IMO, MM6 was a reasonably tough game, for an RPG, at least).
I'm also open to a suggestion to play MM1 or 2, if it's practical to play them without drawing maps (that is, if they have an automap).
Advice, please?
The NES version of MM1 has an automap and can be emulated quite easily.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Well, turns out Wizardry 7 is too hardcore for a popamole person like me :)
So I'm considering playing some nice blobber instead - Wizardry 8 or a Might & Magic..
Which game is more difficult combat-wise - Terra (MM3) or Xeen? I loved MM6, which of the older MMs is closer to it? (IMO, MM6 was a reasonably tough game, for an RPG, at least).
I'm also open to a suggestion to play MM1 or 2, if it's practical to play them without drawing maps (that is, if they have an automap).
Advice, please?
1 is probably my favorite out of the series I've played (1,4,6). As others have said, you can use GC or other programs to give you an auto map in game. I prefer it without the auto map tho.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Started in on M&M1 today (only other M&M I've played is VI which I beat last years). This seems... tougher than Wizardry. At least a harsher start. Party feels very fragile. Grinding levels in Sorpigal for now.

Watser

Arcane
Started in on M&M1 today (only other M&M I've played is VI which I beat last years). This seems... tougher than Wizardry. At least a harsher start. Party feels very fragile. Grinding levels in Sorpigal for now.
Did you make your own party or used the default? The default party has really good stats and it will most likely take you hours to roll something even close to it.
Take your time and save after every few encounters, avoid sprites at all cost as these motherfuckers has to be one of the toughest monsters in the game.
Also, which version are you using?
You are in for an incredible game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Not that the starter party isn't good... but who the heck plays rpgs to use the default pregen characters?!

I do sometimes. Do you have a problem with that, buddy?
In the M&M games the characters are just a bunch of stats anyway, so it's not like I have some "connection" with them.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well I always need someone in my party who's named [Snorkack], who always gets the best choice of gear and who is the most badassest of all fighters. Otherwise it would feel like playing on someone else's savegame.

But of course you can do whatever the fuck you want, buddy.

Anyways,
The NES version of MM1 has an automap and can be emulated quite easily.
The NES port has some issues tho: There is no front and back row system, anyone can attack every round no matter his position. Also there is this annoying bug where torches/magic lights go out every time you make a step, which makes dungeon exploring pretty annoying.
The graphics are very nice at least.

Last edited:

Watser

Arcane
Well I always need someone in my party who's named [Snorkack], who always gets the best choice of gear and who is the most badassest of all fighters. Otherwise it would feel like playing on someone else's savegame.
Hex edit the characters to change their names. Done.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I guess you're closer to a LARPer than I am then.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
God, I love MM1, probably my favorite of the series(from what I've played which is 1,4,6). And grinding in Sorpigal is what I'm in the middle of rn. Remember to (s)earch for treasure after each encounter. It adds up fast if you always remember. Bon chance et l'aventure magnifique pour vous! (Pardonnez-vous ma français terrible)

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I guess you're closer to a LARPer than I am then.
I'm more a powergamer than a larper, but there is a certain minimum amount of attachment I need to have to my characters, and that requires them to not be named Craig the Hack, Gene Eric or Big Bootay.

Watser

Arcane
I understand how you feel. I always name my party after myself and my friends so I can tell them all about the days adventure. A good friend of mine was not particularly happy when I told him he got a sex change and was now a woman.
That way I always have someone to blame when shit hits the fan.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
I deleted the premade chars almost immediately, which was probably foolish since I could've raided their gold and equipment first but didn't think to do it. Also, can't you just rename all the characters in the View Chars screen, or is that just an option for chars you roll?

I'm playing the ibm pc version, making my own maps and all that, tho I briefly fired up WhereAreWe.exe and was tempted by the features.. Still, making my own maps has been one of my favorite parts of these old games, so I shall press on utility-less. I've gained a couple levels already and it does seem to go pretty fast, and isn't quite as brutal now that I have some equipment.

How does age work in this game? I believe all my dudes were 18 at the start but now some of them are 20 and some are 19. I haven't been resting THAT much. Is this part of the Sprite curse? Or do they just age a year when they level up? If so, it's weird to have them all aging separately.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't recall age being a real factor in MM1 and 2.
In MM3 it definitely is.

In MM3 there is an additional reason for considering using the pregens: they end up as NPCs in MM7, and it's not just the usual recycling of names.

Watser

Arcane
There are a couple of mechanics which causes your characters to age. The first one is on level up as you have already noticed which makes some classes age faster than others. Powerful spells will also cause your caster to age and certain enemies (ghosts) will cause aging every time they hit you. It may sound bad, but it isn't much of an issue. Later on you will get a spell which can lower the age of your party making you able to slay dragons with a party of toddlers.

There is a stat penalty at old age, I don't remember how much it is or when it kicks in though, and there is a chance of your characters dying of age when resting. In MM III+WoX your strength will go down as you age but your intelligence will increase.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
For some reason it's always way more satisfying to level up in games like this (Wiz, M&M) as opposed to, say Pillars. Don't know why.. it's not like I have more choices in the leveling or anything. Guess it just actually feels like I'm going from weak to less-weak, as opposed to powerful to more powerful.

Zeriel

Arcane
Figure I might as well ask since I'm attacking 3-5 again, what Dosbox settings (cycles, etc) do people use for these games?

Zeriel

Arcane
Does anyone have experience with the Where Are We automapping application? The map works fine for me, but the party/inventory window bit blanks out whenever the game loses focus... which includes when you click on the party window to actually use the interface it has, which makes it completely nonfunctional. Is there a fix for this?

Naraya

Arcane
Does anyone have experience with the Where Are We automapping application? The map works fine for me, but the party/inventory window bit blanks out whenever the game loses focus... which includes when you click on the party window to actually use the interface it has, which makes it completely nonfunctional. Is there a fix for this?
Weird, I never had such problem...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom