Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Zeriel

Arcane
Might be because I'm using Daum instead of normal Dosbox. That's all I can think of.

kmonster

Augur
Anyways,
The NES version of MM1 has an automap and can be emulated quite easily.
The NES port has some issues tho: There is no front and back row system, anyone can attack every round no matter his position. Also there is this annoying bug where torches/magic lights go out every time you make a step, which makes dungeon exploring pretty annoying.
The graphics are very nice at least.

You're confusing the NES port with the console ports of MM2. The NES version has a front and back row system and dungeon exploring works well.

Outmind

Augur
I misplaced / sold the flesh to stone scrolls used to free kauri blackthorne in mm8. Can i do anything about that or are my dark elves doomed? The seer gave me stuff like the book of khel and ebonest, but no scrolls. Do any of the alchemy shops carry them sometimes?

Eggs is eggs

Learned
O how the mighty have fallen!

JVC's latest game has launched....and it's a F2P Puzzles and Dragons clone. :(

It's out worldwide on iOS and Android now and there is some influence from HOMM and a bit of JVC's signature humor as well but for the most part it's the same as every other P&D clone that has come out in the last 4 years. At least Richard Garriott is attempting something interesting with SotA. Sigh.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't recall age being a real factor in MM1 and 2.
In MM3 it definitely is.
Not as big a problem in MM1, but Ghosts in MM2 age you 10 years. If you aren't paying attention to age, you can find yourself way into the game without an earlier save with chars dying of old age. As... I did...

In MM3 there is an additional reason for considering using the pregens: they end up as NPCs in MM7, and it's not just the usual recycling of names.
Never noticed this. Need to check this out. Good find.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Having the "walk on water" spell in MM3 is almost a necessity and none of the pregenerated characters can use druid spells. Also, it's more fun to create your own characters than use Sir Caneghem and Crag Hack, et. al.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Having the "walk on water" spell in MM3 is almost a necessity and none of the pregenerated characters can use druid spells. Also, it's more fun to create your own characters than use Sir Caneghem and Crag Hack, et. al.

But the first two hirelings you find complement the pregen party perfectly.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I never used hirelings in MM3 when I beat it. I don't think I did in MM2 either except for maybe the puzzle where you have to get an item out of a dungeon using a special means. They always seemed like a waste of money.

madrigal

Augur

You can buy the swimming skill for your non human characters in the starting town so I wouldn't consider it a necessity and you are bound to come across items of water walk at some stage.

Archibald

Arcane
When he mentioned how he'd like to have MM back from UBI my first thought was "sure, so you could make F2P M&M Online".

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
MM6 is rapidly approaching on my chronological play list. The one thing I really disliked about it was the character portraits. Are there any mods for replacing the portraits (but not anime style)?
Other mods that will enhance the experience?
I already played MM6 twice, but both times got burn out near the end. But my Endurance stat has increased since then, and this time I will complete it.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The portraits are the best part. Just get Grayface patch and use 2X speed to move through large areas you have already cleared out.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I was surprised that the Millenium Edition (Xeen, VI and VII) of MM6 installed and ran without problems on my Win 7 64 bit machine, without having to deal with compatibilty mode or installing the Greyfact patch (I installed it later, though).

Now I need to decide which classes to choose. I have one rule for all my CRPGs: never duplicate classes unless there are more characters than classes.

But first I need to know: can you have both Light and Dark magic in the same party? Or only with difficulty, meaning having to meta game to swing Reputation from one end to the other? IOW, do I need both a Cleric and a Sorceror, or can I make do with just the Sorceror?

I've decided not to have a Knight in the party this time, so that means Paladin, Druid and Sorceror, and the last one being either a Cleric or an Archer.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
can you have both Light and Dark magic in the same party?
Yes you can.
Or only with difficulty, meaning having to meta game to swing Reputation from one end to the other?
Only if you want to Master both, IIRC. From best to worst reputation is very easy, compared to vice versa.
IOW, do I need both a Cleric and a Sorceror, or can I make do with just the Sorceror?
You dont _need_ any of it, but you should have at least someone who can cast the only meaningful healing spell, which is Shared Life (pally or cleric).
Also, I find archer to be a really weak class.

Luzur

Good Sir
MM6 is rapidly approaching on my chronological play list. The one thing I really disliked about it was the character portraits. Are there any mods for replacing the portraits (but not anime style)?
Other mods that will enhance the experience?
I already played MM6 twice, but both times got burn out near the end. But my Endurance stat has increased since then, and this time I will complete it.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/10622 <-------------mod list for MM6 and others

JBro

Arbiter
is there a way to make MM7 run in a higher resolution without the UI going all janky?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
But first I need to know: can you have both Light and Dark magic in the same party? Or only with difficulty, meaning having to meta game to swing Reputation from one end to the other? IOW, do I need both a Cleric and a Sorceror, or can I make do with just the Sorceror?

Do what I did and cheat with one cleric and three sorcerers.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Do what I did and cheat with one cleric and three sorcerers.

Ah, the memories of blasting things with ever so many Shrapnel spells.

T. Reich

Arcane
is there a way to make MM7 run in a higher resolution without the UI going all janky?

You mean an actual higher resolution mod, or just running on a large screen?

I played MM7 relatively recently, and I couldn't find any hi-res mod for it at all; I don't think such a thing exists.
As for proper resolution scaling, your vydia card's/monitor's settings should be able to handle this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom