Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Experience and loot really isn't an issue no matter what party class/race composition you choose - in typical RPG fashion, you'll soon be drowning in cash, loot and levels :D

I know, I just happen to enjoy completing a game to 110%. It would frustrate me to no end if there was an entire area that I couldn't enter because I picked the wrong class/race. :negative:

Stuff like : "I'd recommend taking one of each race for the first game just for the sake of story completion." confuses me.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I didn't have any orcs in the party, and there was an island or area near the end of the peninsula, I believe, that was off limits. There's also the mercenary quest, Temple of the Winds? That is closed to a party without any mercenaries.

Interesting to hear about dwarven location. I did not play a Runepriest, but a Defender, so that's why we were allowed access. One of the best moments of the game for me.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There's no protection from mana drain. Suck it down.
IIRC, only some kreegan dudes and grand druids use it, so just prioritise them as targets if you value your mana.

I think I'll experiment with Feeblemind and see how that works.

Everyone returned Mordred to the quest giver - he gives you the promised reward and dagger back because he decides he doesn't want it after all. SPOILER, I guess.

Not only the dagger returned, but also a whopping 30,000 gold. Damned, I hate it when a game "forces" you to play Lawful Good. Fortunately it's not as prevalent as in Baldur's Gate, though.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Not only the dagger returned, but also a whopping 30,000 gold. Damned, I hate it when a game "forces" you to play Lawful Good. Fortunately it's not as prevalent as in Baldur's Gate, though.
Later on in the main quest there will be a decision that will give you a big negative rep penalty but it's pretty obvious.

mmap

Literate
I'm sorry to say but I really don't enjoy puzzles in Isles of Terra. Is Xeen less heavy on puzzles?

mmap

Literate
I'm sorry to say but I really don't enjoy puzzles in Isles of Terra. Is Xeen less heavy on puzzles?
To clarify; I find MM3 exceptionally fun game, it's only the puzzles that bother me. If Xeen is like Terra, just with fewer puzzles, that would've been an ideal game for me...

Many of the puzzles don't even make any sense. E.g., "what is too much for one, enough for two and nothing for three?" The answer is (is it even a "spoiler"?)
SECRET
which seems really wrong. Also, the math puzzle in Arachnoid cavern ("two primes less" - huh?), protection code in Cathedral of Carnage, etc. And that's just the beginning part of the game...

I noticed that the site "mm4_5 shrine" has a lot fewer solutions to puzzles (than "mm3 shrine"), is it an indication that there are not so many of them?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't comment on the quantity but I recall that I had much less trouble with puzzles in WoX than in M&M3. Could solve them pretty much own my own I think, whereas I had to consult a walkthrough for many in M&M3. So if the puzzles bother you so much its certainly worth it to try WoX.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
To clarify; I find MM3 exceptionally fun game, it's only the puzzles that bother me. If Xeen is like Terra, just with fewer puzzles, that would've been an ideal game for me...

Many of the puzzles don't even make any sense. E.g., "what is too much for one, enough for two and nothing for three?" The answer is (is it even a "spoiler"?)
SECRET
which seems really wrong. Also, the math puzzle in Arachnoid cavern ("two primes less" - huh?), protection code in Cathedral of Carnage, etc. And that's just the beginning part of the game...

I noticed that the site "mm4_5 shrine" has a lot fewer solutions to puzzles (than "mm3 shrine"), is it an indication that there are not so many of them?

There are fewer puzzles and riddles in the Xeen games. That said, there's a whole dungeon in there that's a crossword puzzle, so be warned.

But in all honesty, if you can't grasp the logic behind the "secret" riddle, then you're going to have trouble going forward in Xeen. In particular you should stay away from Swords of Xeen.

mmap

Literate
I can't comment on the quantity but I recall that I had much less trouble with puzzles in WoX than in M&M3. Could solve them pretty much own my own I think, whereas I had to consult a walkthrough for many in M&M3. So if the puzzles bother you so much its certainly worth it to try WoX.
That's good to hear.

There are fewer puzzles and riddles in the Xeen games. That said, there's a whole dungeon in there that's a crossword puzzle, so be warned.
Isn't the crossword from unified content? (World of Xeen) I'm thinking about skipping Clouds and just playing Darkside.

But in all honesty, if you can't grasp the logic behind the "secret" riddle, then you're going to have trouble going forward in Xeen.
That logic just seems wrong to me. In some cultures there is a saying to the effect that "a secret known to more than one is not a real secret." In my (real life) experience, that's correct; so I would've never solved that riddle on my own.
Anyway, I'm fine with checking a walkthrough once in a while, just not too often.

In particular you should stay away from Swords of Xeen.
I'll keep that in mind.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I really enjoy Might and Magic 10 and would rate it in my top 3 Might and Magic games (MM6,MM7,MM10).

But god knows that the DLC for Might and Magic 10 is the worst DLC ever made, in any game genre or series. It's so frustratingly annoying that I'm forcing myself to complete it.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
But god knows that the DLC for Might and Magic 10 is the worst DLC ever made, in any game genre or series.

The inventory strip is frustrating, but it can be very satisfying when you get your stuff back.

I can't think of a single positive thing to say about that experience. It's very tedious, it's incredible slow, they never bothered to play through their own DLC as they would have noticed that it's actually impossible to complete it with most might heavy teams. You need spell casters to heal in the prison, you need them to deal damage as the guards have a shit ton of armor and you'll deal no damage with the gear you pick up there, if you can't protect against the sleep condition, you won't be able to kill the Inquisitor as he'll constantly heal himself and spam sleep at the same time.

I min/maxed my team and went in at level 36. I still ended up having my melee defend and the MVP on my team was my Earth Mage who soloed most fights with Poison Cloud, Earth Armor and Regenerate.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I played a bit of MMX. I feel like they captured a lot of the feel of MM 3-5 but the combat was way too slow, difficult and complex. Combat in previous games was mostly just spamming attack and some spells and then eventually becoming gods by the end of the game so you could mow through hundreds of monsters. But in MMX you really need to min-max your stats and skills, plan your battles, use specific buffs and debuffs, etc. I guess that's the state of gaming in 2017 (or whenever it was released) but I liked that in the older MM games combat was something that you didn't have to think too much about and could focus on the exploration and discovery aspects more and didn't have to worry about getting that 60% buff to magic to sync up with that 30% debuff skill on the enemy and blah blah blah.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I played a bit of MMX. I feel like they captured a lot of the feel of MM 3-5 but the combat was way too slow, difficult and complex. Combat in previous games was mostly just spamming attack and some spells and then eventually becoming gods by the end of the game so you could mow through hundreds of monsters. But in MMX you really need to min-max your stats and skills, plan your battles, use specific buffs and debuffs, etc. I guess that's the state of gaming in 2017 (or whenever it was released) but I liked that in the older MM games combat was something that you didn't have to think too much about and could focus on the exploration and discovery aspects more and didn't have to worry about getting that 60% buff to magic to sync up with that 30% debuff skill on the enemy and blah blah blah.

There are so many contradicting things in this post, I don't even know where to start.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:abyssgazer:

That's a huge part of the reason why I think MMX is the best MM after No. 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom