Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Reinar

Scholar
It's actually easier when you kite enemies. In TB monsters move only a little bit per turn between your attacks. In RT you shoot your arrows and while you wait for the recovery, monsters keep moving. It's a huge difference. In TB mode, it's possible to kite a single enemy or a small group for ever, if you have the space (f.e. Arena). In RT, they will eventually catch on you, because you lose a lot of time turning around. Unless you slow them or keep in hit animation.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's actually easier when you kite enemies. In TB monsters move only a little bit per turn between your attacks. In RT you shoot your arrows and while you wait for the recovery, monsters keep moving. It's a huge difference. In TB mode, it's possible to kite a single enemy or a small group for ever, if you have the space (f.e. Arena). In RT, they will eventually catch on you, because you lose a lot of time turning around. Unless you slow them or keep in hit animation.
There is almost no recovery time if you walk when i fight. I do walk by default and run with shift when i need to.

Reinar

Scholar
There is almost no recovery time if you walk when i fight. I do walk by default and run with shift when i need to.
Do you also sheathe your weapons and take off your helm when you enter a city? :P

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Do you also sheathe your weapons and take off your helm when you enter a city? :P
Hahaha,absolutely mate,even take off my armour when in audience with the crown ;).
Joke aside it is far more practical,recovery speed is very different between walking and running. I do walk when i do combat and run when i have to doge something. I am pretty proficient when it comes to mm6-mm9. Shift running/walking is pretty good for the diagonal strafing and corner attacks. Last time i played mm7 i ended it in a around a day,i was supper depressed after that :( .

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Not only should you walk, and remove your armor in front of the king, but please remember in games with such features to sleep and eat regularly. Also, take shelter from the rain in-game with weather system, and just watch it fall gracefully. Gaming is an escapism. Do not ruin it for you.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Now I remember why MM1 is not quite up there with MM2 and MM6 as my favourite M&M games:

Poison. :argh:

Sprites. Curses!

It's a pain in the neck to map the outdooors. The whole map won't fit on double A4 pages, and the "fake" mountains makes it even more of a pain to map with Grid Cartographer.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MM1 is awesome.

Sprites are probably the most annoying monsters in the game, but I'm pretty sure they're in MM2 as well, and they curse there too.

What do you mean by "fake" mountains? Mountains in MM1 are basically outdoor walls that cannot be passed (though you CAN Etherealize through).

No Great Name

Arcane
Just like how there are some fake walls in towns and dungeons that you can pass through like the leprechaun in Sorpigal, there are some fake mountains on the overworld too. For example, there is a hermit hidden behind some of those fake walls just south of Sorpigal who gives you a quest item. I think that's what he means.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Money is a constant problem in MM1 before learning the Cure Poison spell.
But the Ice Princess gave me a key that I can sell for 1000 gold. And I can return to the princess and get a new one.
It's cheating, but it's tempting, what with this bullshit of every door and even cloth sacks being trapped...

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Just like how there are some fake walls in towns and dungeons that you can pass through like the leprechaun in Sorpigal, there are some fake mountains on the overworld too. For example, there is a hermit hidden behind some of those fake walls just south of Sorpigal who gives you a quest item. I think that's what he means.
I think you can treat these just like secret doors in dungeons: once you've mapped and see an "island" of unexplored tiles that seem inaccessible, just go back and try and find where the secret wall/mountain is.

I don't remember having this much of a problem with money, or with poison, but then I usually grind until levels 4 or 5 before really going out and exploring. I love the game immensely but I've always had to admit the early game imbalance is probably its most serious flaw.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
MM1 is awesome. I still remember when I finally beat the minotaur in his stronghold, coming back after gaining a couple of levels. I thought he was one of the big guys of Varn. Silly me.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't remember if this has been mentioned before, but another things that makes MM2 IMO superior to MM1 is that the Bonus on Touch was implemented properly.
Although, as discussed on CRPG Addict's blog, it was probably cut due to difficulty issues, MM1 being hard enough as it is in the beginning.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't remember having this much of a problem with money, or with poison, but then I usually grind until levels 4 or 5 before really going out and exploring. I love the game immensely but I've always had to admit the early game imbalance is probably its most serious flaw.

I realized that my "I'm a master blobberer" cockiness and resulting careless play didn't work very well, so I restarted the game, with a much more cautious playing style. Just remembering to always have Protection vs Poison on and avoiding all locked doors for the time being, and - if anyone does get Poisoned after all - always heading for the cheap temple services in Sorpigal (1/4 of the price in Erliquin) has saved me tons of money.
And always having Levitate on has saved me from some ambushes.

I really detest the idea of grinding, and much prefer the "pussyfooting" approach of heading for another area if the current one is too hairy. All the center outdoors areas are relatively easy. I met a Dark Knight and some Assassins, though. Luckily my party managed to finally run away with only my Sorceror left standing with a few HP.

Paying more attention this time, it seems there is some level scaling going on, but not quite as blatant as in some areas of MM2.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So in MM1 I did the "Climb all trees in the area" quest (while being zapped, cursed, diseased, poisoned and whatnor) and returned to the quest giver, chose "Item" for reward, and was presented with Bells of Time. "Probably casts Time Distortion when used", I thought, but it turns out all it does is age the user 10 years.:argh:

Dux

Arcane
74r2Xx.png

Camelot has seen better days.

No Great Name

Arcane
That fucking desert in MM1...it turns out characters devour 1 Food for every step you take. :argh:
And the game doesn't notify you when characters die from starvation/thirst. :argh::argh:
Using up a day's worth of food for each step was actually a big enough deal for me to make note of it in the Tips for New Players section in the review I wrote after I finished MM1 not too long ago. I ended up doing a bunch of suicide runs in order to fully map out the desert. Finding the giant scorpion was a pain.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You'd think Blue Dragons and Liches would drop at least Gold Chests to loot, but no - Wooden Crates. :argh:
And every time my Robber, with Robber's Tools and 25 Luck fumbles, which is too often, I go :roll:.

But despite all my :argh: I love MM1, and it was good to sink my teeth into a big, juicy blobber again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom