Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters
Codex Year of the Donut
the best part of might and magic is when in dark messiah of might and magic your succubus that's related to you gets you drunk, has sex with you, and gets pregnant

EruDaan

Arcane
Around lvl 20-30, you can trash anything living on the surface in Clouds, didn't do every dungeon though, i stopped playing it for a while (playing both M&M III and Xeen at the same time was probably ambitious, i'll get back to it later ).]

Yeah and only an complete and utter fag would even touch Darkside before finishing off Clouds. The game can be broken around lvl. 3 (after finishing MD - Mines and Witch Tower) with ease just by visiting and revisiting Asp. And the official level cap for Clouds should be around lv. 13 (Golem Dungeon + Shangri La + Explorer).

Incendax

Augur
Going to start MM1, but I’m incredibly OCD about missing bonuses. Are any stats not retroactive? Like, should I max endurance and int asap or permanently miss points?

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah and only an complete and utter fag would even touch Darkside before finishing off Clouds. The game can be broken around lvl. 3 (after finishing MD - Mines and Witch Tower) with ease just by visiting and revisiting Asp. And the official level cap for Clouds should be around lv. 13 (Golem Dungeon + Shangri La + Explorer).

With the modded version, trainers train you further, the game is far harder too and exploring Darkside a bit doesn't break the game anymore (reduced xp in darkside for both quests and monsters).
I have no interest on replaying the game exactly as it was if i can get a different balanced experience, probably enhanced if one is asking for challenging battles.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Going to start MM1, but I’m incredibly OCD about missing bonuses. Are any stats not retroactive? Like, should I max endurance and int asap or permanently miss points?
The amount of hit points you get on a level up is random (though weighted in some way, I think), so it wouldn't make sense for there to be a compensation for increased Endurance later in the game. I may well be wrong, but I believe Endurance only affects the upper limit of possible hit point gain. You should have decent Endurance on everyone, and especially the frontliners (Knight and probably Paladin, though that depends on the circumstances). You should aim for a high Int roll on your Sorcerer and to a lesser extent your Archer. Or just go with the pregens, they have good stats. I rolled my own, but if that's not important to you then you could save yourself some tedium.

I believe INT is retroactive but not END.

If you really want to be an ultra min-maxer you can just level a party normally then once you've found all the stat boosting locations make new level 1 party members and max their stats before leveling them up.

Breshard

Novice
Pretty sure there's a fountain in first outdoor area outside Sorpigal you can use to jack up your stats before levelling, not really sure how much endurance affects the hp gain though, never really tested it, although i guess it should be pretty easy to by levelling with endurance boost a few times and then levelling with your base stats. In all the M&M games I've played i believe the sp is based off of current personality or int when you rest so shouldn't matter much about having those stats high when you level.

Pretty sure there's a fountain in first outdoor area outside Sorpigal you can use to jack up your stats before levelling, not really sure how much endurance affects the hp gain though, never really tested it, although i guess it should be pretty easy to by levelling with endurance boost a few times and then levelling with your base stats.

I tried this and it didn't seem to help, so either endurance is retroactive or it goes by your real stats rather than your buffed stats.

No Great Name

Arcane
Temple donations worthwhile? How do they work?
Donating at the temple will give the party a ton of different resistance buffs and other protection spells like Levitate that are really for 1 day. The number of times you have to donate before receiving those spells is random so it can be a whole bunch of times or maybe even once or twice. It was definitely worth it for me when exploring areas like underneath Dusk.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it depends on the day of the week, with the most potent buffs being on Tensday, you need to donate 10 times then. The temple buffs are extremely powerful at the beginning, but fade in power once your cleric can cast vastly superior versions.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Ellinger's Tower. Cant find a way to him on 4th level, teleport doesnt work. Did i miss something? On the first floor there was a mirror with 3 answers i chose not most honoroble answer.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Ellinger's Tower. Cant find a way to him on 4th level, teleport doesnt work. Did i miss something? On the first floor there was a mirror with 3 answers i chose not most honoroble answer.

Nothing to do with the mirror, it locks the access to the second level and above (i suppose you can get there from the roof later).
So, it's probably a secret passage, there may be two ways to the fourth level too so you might be on the wrong side.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
They're definitely cheesy based on my brief survey, but it contributes to the whole Might and Magic vibe (tavern wenches and "Wanna train?" and step-right-up dwarves, etc), which I find mostly amusing. Not sure I care enough to restart tho

Incendax

Augur
Alright, rolling up my party for MM1. Since this is JVC, I’m going to name all the characters after Star Trek Captains. The question is... what class would each captain be?

Kirk
Picard
Sisko
Janeway
Archer
Lorca

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Alright, rolling up my party for MM1. Since this is JVC, I’m going to name all the characters after Star Trek Captains. The question is... what class would each captain be?

Kirk = Knight, he's swung his sword all over the galaxy
Picard = Paladin, fits with his holier than thou attitude
Sisko = Cleric? Or Robber but then that would be racist.
Janeway = Sorceror, how else can you explain her ever being a captain
Archer = Archer, naturally
Lorca = Robber, didn't he try to steal a ship or universe or something? I barely paid attention to that dreck.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Hi, Might and Magic fans, what are you're opinion on MMX?
It's alright, but pretty dumb. It's got a great first impression, but once you spend some time with it, it's just boring.

It's very linear because it's gated by powerful monsters. It reminds me most of all of the NES Dragon Warriors games, where you start facing much more powerful enemies the minute you cross a bridge.

Combat is pretty dull. It's easy to get an overpowered party without even really thinking (there is a low level "cleric" spell that creates a barrier around your party that absorbs a certain amount of damage based on your skill rating, but trivializes any battle for at least the first few areas). In addition to healing spells, you have camp supplies you carry around that you can use anywhere without risk (except in combat of course) to restore all HP and MP. At first you can "only" carry 10, but merchants in newer areas allow you to purchase more than that.

Character building is meh. You learn skills from masters and spend points on improving them when you level up, so at least it's not a skill tree. Equipment sucks. It's your typical "find a new sword, does less damage that your current sword but has +1% water magic resistance" kinda junk that you just end up selling.

Maybe it gets better 10-15 hours in, but I just lost all motivation to continue with these trash mobs by the time I got to the third area.

bobs

Novice
Character building is meh. You learn skills from masters and spend points on improving them when you level up, so at least it's not a skill tree. Equipment sucks. It's your typical "find a new sword, does less damage that your current sword but has +1% water magic resistance" kinda junk that you just end up selling.

Maybe it gets better 10-15 hours in, but I just lost all motivation to continue with these trash mobs by the time I got to the third area.
The itemization is a real turnoff. Damned modern RPGs and their MMO influences.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hi, Might and Magic fans, what are you're opinion on MMX?

++++++ Grid AND Turn based +++++++
+ Best M&M since No. V
+ Best combat in M&M ever
+ Best character building and development in M&M ever
+ Cool OP abilities (balance? BAH!)
+ Atmosphere
+ Cool puzzles. Nothing too complex but very nice nonetheless.

- Smallish world for an M&M game

+/- Itemization: There are some very cool artifacts, but typically they are overshadowed by random shop magic sword with double attack (that mod is really OP).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom