Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
a 3 part interview with Tim Lang, designer of MMX:

part 1

part 2

part 3

Luzur

Good Sir
also, Grayface has made available a "Might and Magic Editor"

GrayFace said:
This is my project that makes modding the game easier and greatly extends possibilities. Help is very far from completion and I'm planning to make it in a totally different way in future. So, you can play with it yourself and look some things up in decompiled scripts. Feel free to ask me how to do things, the answers would go to examples section of Help. Here's more info:
http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/mmextension
Since version 1.3 you can edit some things in TXT tables. For example, you can edit various attributes of classes, like skills they can master.

Level Editor
MMEditor is a complete indoor levels editor. You need to install it together with MMExtension. You'll find it on MMExtension page. Some basic stuff is explained in MMEditor ReadMe.txt.
GUI is temporary, I'd like to use icons instead of text on buttons in future.
MMEditor.png

MM8 Choose Party scripts
Now you can choose your party on start or solo dragon for example.
MM8ChooseParty.png

P.S. Please discuss anything MMExt-related in this topic, it's never "old", you're not necro-posting.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I'm working on a MM 1&2 editor myself. I'll share it here once it's in a workable state.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I forgot to make this clear, so as to not ruin codexers' expectations: I'm working on a savegame editor/trainer, but it won't have a level editor like Grayface's MMEditor. On the plus side, it will be a fully featured character editor, with editable character name, gender, class, ability scores, gold, food, age, experience, spell points, hit points, character condition, equipped items slots, inventory slots, plus a few others I forgot.

My main motivation is the fact that MM1 kind of forces players to use the default characters (even if they can be renamed) since it's so hard to randomly generate characters with decent stats and even when the player creates a reasonable party, it has to survive encounters armed only with clubs and with no starting gold.

Luzur

Good Sir
I forgot to make this clear, so as to not ruin codexers' expectations: I'm working on a savegame editor/trainer, but it won't have a level editor like Grayface's MMEditor. On the plus side, it will be a fully featured character editor, with editable character name, gender, class, ability scores, gold, food, age, experience, spell points, hit points, character condition, equipped items slots, inventory slots, plus a few others I forgot.

My main motivation is the fact that MM1 kind of forces players to use the default characters (even if they can be renamed) since it's so hard to randomly generate characters with decent stats and even when the player creates a reasonable party, it has to survive encounters armed only with clubs and with no starting gold.

actually, that is good too, since there are very few trainers for those games around nowadays.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The first version of the MM1 Trainer is ready as an executable jar file. It's not complete yet, but it allows editing most character data. Fields I haven't figured out yet will remain unchanged when the output file is produced. The biggest remaining issues are editing the inventory, equipment, and current city (the user interface layout could also use some work).

For the next version, I think I will make only the inventory slots editable, since I don't want to add logic for figuring out if characters are allowed to use the items in the equipment slots (ex. two-handed weapon while shield is equipped, weapons and armor class restrictions).

Some disclaimers: I haven't added any data validation (since it's a somewhat tedious process), so don't try to set any values above 255 (except for gold and experience, where the limits will be 25599 and 65279, respectively) and no not try to use negative numbers. Also, do not type alphabetical characters in the numerical input text boxes (i.e. everything except the character name). Names should be shorter or equal to 15 characters. I haven't tested it with MM2, I just assumed it would work, since you can import the ROSTER.DTA file to MM2.

To use the program, place a copy of the ROSTER.DTA file (found in the Might & Magic 1 install directory) in the same folder as "MM1 Trainer.jar" and then run the jar file. The application won't run if it doesn't find ROSTER.DTA. I mentioned it in the Help section, but you can't see it if the program doesn't run; I'll add a check in future versions.

The application will write out an output file called ROSTER.DTA, but it will make a time-stamped backup copy of the original ROSTER.DTA as ROSTER.DTA.YYYYMMDDHHSS using the current date and time. If the edited version is messed up, you can delete it and rename ROSTER.DTA.YYYYMMDDHHSS back to ROSTER.DTA

I would appreciate any constructive feedback, which can be posted in this thread or via PM.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Bros, until MMX comes out I am going to replay MM7 for a few days with a widescreen mod and mouselook. Can any of you guys recommend any fun, non-orthodox party lineups to play with?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bros, until MMX comes out I am going to replay MM7 for a few days with a widescreen mod and mouselook. Can any of you guys recommend any fun, non-orthodox party lineups to play with?

Just play without knights, clerics and sorcerers. Any combination without those should be pretty fun/unorthodox. Though make sure to get the classes you need for the grandmaster magic that you want :)

Skills to focus on would be Unarmed/Dodge, Grandmaster Daggers maybe. Stuff like that.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The all-Knight all-night party is always fun.

Grunker's broad suggestion also makes for a large number of fun combinations, since it excludes Dark and Light (not that much of an issue in 7 since they're very late-game), and it also excludes GM in any magic school (not sure what G. was referring to in the last bit). All-druid could be a fun, though quite tough in parts party. Or you could go for something like Palladin-Archer-Monk/Rogue-Druid, covers most bases but still un-orthodox compared to the more traditional parties.

Or if you really want to gimp yourself go Ranger-Ranger-Ranger-Ranger.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Can any of you guys recommend any fun, non-orthodox party lineups to play with?

I've made a lengthly write-up in my VII LP (iirc), but if you need shorter rules, here they are. First, there are three useless classes:

Ranger - can't do jack. They're just useless.

Rogue - they don't tank/deal damage as good as the knights/monks (that "triple the dagger damage + skill added to dagger damage" of GM dagger looks sweet, the only problem is, it triples only the damage of the dagger itself, no other bonuses added, meaning it is 10% to deal extra 4d6 + 14 damage= extra 2.8 damage per attack on the average... yeah). And thieving skills are useless because traps are meaningless in M&M VI-VII and stealing is pointless as there's too much money in the game and no way of spending it.

Druid - can't learn gm magic = can't do shit. Also, with two easily accessible black potion shops in the game, GM alchemy is kinda useless.

Otherwise, just combine other classes knowing that:

Knight & Monk are decent damage dealers/tanks, you can build them either way. For damage dealing capacity, overtrain (meaning gain 10+) armsmaster/unarmed, for tanking capacity, go bodybuilding. Theoretically, monks should be better than knights because of their GM learning and tons of extra experience gained, but practically there's extremely little monster XP in the game so that advantage is kinda lost. Otherwise, knight are better damage dealers (they can wield 2 artifact weapons whereas monk is limited to one non-artifact staff) while monks are better tanks (because of unarmed evade chance).

Paladin is worse tank/dd than either of them, and his magic is kinda crap/redundant, however, his strength is GM mace. If you train him properly, he has 20-30% to paralyze enemy per hit and that's a freaking lot. I'd suggest 2-3 paladins in the party if you want to play that way.

Archer is all about his bow - as is seen in my LP, they can go crazy with it. Still, 2-3 are required for this tactic to work.

Massed clerics can be interesting - unlike elemental magic, self-magic en-masse is not ridiculous (it's rather weak, in fact), so the game will retain it's challenge. Just remember to abuse initiate+prelate followers. Just go light way with this party - dark path will be too easy.

Sorcs are sorcs, they're awesome and they're cool and they're the funnest way to play this game but most people avoid it because they think they're broken. Well, their loss. If you also feel that way, you might try singleton ligt sorc. Perfectly doable and still interesting.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'd definetely recommend monks, they're p. fun.

The all-Knight all-night party is always fun.

Grunker's broad suggestion also makes for a large number of fun combinations, since it excludes Dark and Light (not that much of an issue in 7 since they're very late-game), and it also excludes GM in any magic school

I was mixing up playthroughs, thinking Druids could GM Earth Magic!

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Version 1.01 of the MM1 Trainer is ready. Changes from version 1.0:
- can set gems for each character
- can set maximum spell level (0-7)
- can set the items in the inventory slots
- slightly more presentable UI

I'm not going to make the equipment slots editable, since it would be too tedious to code in the class and alignment restrictions for each item. With editable inventory slots, any item can be added and the game can deal with the logic for checking restrictions. I still need to add data validation, so use only values between 0 and 255, inclusive.

Humppaleka

Cipher
I've been slowly playing Might and Magic I: Secret of the Inner Sanctum on my laptop whenever I'm on the move.
Goddamn the game is fun. I've only mapped out (using Grid Cartographer, awesome utility) Sorpigal and the dungeon below it, just popped out my head on the surface. Using default party, all I do is make sure they get max hitpoints per level, which is starting hitpoints am I right? So if my dude had 12 hitpoints level 1, the maximum he could get is 24 at level 2.
Have to admit I'm not going in full blind, as I check out maps online after I map them to see stuff I've missed and shit. Also it'll propably take forever anyway, so a little bit of added help won't hurt.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Using default party, all I do is make sure they get max hitpoints per level, which is starting hitpoints am I right? So if my dude had 12 hitpoints level 1, the maximum he could get is 24 at level 2.

Hmm...don't you always get a fixed amount of HP at level up, the only factors being your class and your Endurance? Been a while since I played, so I may be wrong, though.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've been slowly playing Might and Magic I: Secret of the Inner Sanctum on my laptop whenever I'm on the move.
Goddamn the game is fun. I've only mapped out (using Grid Cartographer, awesome utility) Sorpigal and the dungeon below it, just popped out my head on the surface. Using default party, all I do is make sure they get max hitpoints per level, which is starting hitpoints am I right? So if my dude had 12 hitpoints level 1, the maximum he could get is 24 at level 2.
Have to admit I'm not going in full blind, as I check out maps online after I map them to see stuff I've missed and shit. Also it'll propably take forever anyway, so a little bit of added help won't hurt.
I've gotten as little as 2 HP and as much as 12 HP per level, so it's definitely random. Regarding the maps, they are included the in MM1 cluebook, that comes included as an extra with the GOG.com version.

Humppaleka

Cipher
I tried to find info about that online back when I started the game but my googlefu wasn't strong enough. It is definitely random though, and I went to the trainer so many times I think it caps out at your starting hitpoints (or more like whatever factors into that). That has been my guideline and now at party level ~3 everyone is at triple the hitpoints they started with.

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
Since we are reminiscing about the older M&M games, when the florious revival of the new age of the series is upon us, I would like to say that the opening of M&M 6 is one of the most kickass of any crpg. It really, really sets yo in the mood to do some exploring, and uncovering the mystery of whom the outer space invaders are. And of course, to avenge beloved Sweetwater :(

Sadly, they had a ridiculously retarded opening in MM:7, which IMO was a superior game (but not by much, MM 6 was superb). You are immediately thrust into a stupid scavenger hunt, with non nonsensical items to find, and you start on an island, immediately mentally shutting you in and giving you the impression of a smaller world. Contrast that with MM 6's opening that showed the entire globe giving you a sense of opening and wonder.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
MM6 has more in common with the earlier games than 7 or 8. No more gigantic dungeons after that, more restrictions on exploration and less open ended objectives for the main quest.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I tried to find info about that online back when I started the game but my googlefu wasn't strong enough. It is definitely random though, and I went to the trainer so many times I think it caps out at your starting hitpoints (or more like whatever factors into that). That has been my guideline and now at party level ~3 everyone is at triple the hitpoints they started with.
I looked up the game manual and found that the hit point gained per level are as follows: knight 1-12 HP, paladin/archer 1-10 HP, cleric/robber 1-8 HP, sorcerer 1-6 HP. So you were right about the starting HP.

I found this in an online faq:
1- 4 = -3
5- 6 = -2
7- 8 = -1
9-12 = average(0 either way)
13-14 = +1
15-16 = +2
17-18 = +3
19-20 = +4
21-23 = +5
24-26 = +6
27-29 = +7
30-39 = +8 (30-34 and 35-39 are +8/+9 on NES)
40+ = +9 (+10 on NES)

So using this reasoning, a cleric with 19 or 20 endurance would get 5-12 hit points per level, (1-8)+4. You always get at least one hit point per level, but that's no excuse for starting with low endurance.

According to this, endurance acts as a bonus, but I'm not sure if really works this way.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
According to this, endurance acts as a bonus, but I'm not sure if really works this way.
It does, although I cannot remember now if it acted retroactively in MM1-2. I think it only affects level-ups after you get the endurance gain (like in TES). There's a spot in MM2 where you can regain "missed" HP, ie you pay gold and it will bump your char's current max HP up to the calculated/theoretical max (ie what the max would be if you had your current endurance stat from the start and had gained the max base HP allowed by your class at every level), but again I don't remember if MM1 had a similar catch-up mechanic.

Dorateen

Arcane
Aye, the good old hit-point maximizer. In Gates to Another World, I think there was one in a certain deadly dominion, and maybe another in one of the castle dungeons. I'll have to reference Corak's Travelogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom