Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

catfood

AGAIN
Regarding MM7:

Does anyone know any patch or mod that changes the AI in such a way that it doesn't always attack the same character? They only attack my 3rd character (the cleric) and it's getting extremely annoying.
There's no patch or mod for it that I'm aware of. It's because certain enemies have racial prejudices, for example goblins only target dwarves.
Well that sucks. My dwarf priest does nothing else other than heal himself. What bullshit design.

catfood

AGAIN
I also think I picked the most annoying voice, it's one of the two female elf voices.

ITS JUST A CUT BUT I WANT IT FIXED

IS THAT ALL???

LETS LEAVE IT BEHIND

I HAVE A BETTER IDEA BITCH HOW ABOUT I LEAVE YOU BEHIND YOU DUMB CUNT

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Regarding MM7:

Does anyone know any patch or mod that changes the AI in such a way that it doesn't always attack the same character? They only attack my 3rd character (the cleric) and it's getting extremely annoying.
There's no patch or mod for it that I'm aware of. It's because certain enemies have racial prejudices, for example goblins only target dwarves.
Well that sucks. My dwarf priest does nothing else other than heal himself. What bullshit design.

Pretend he's Volourn.

Luzur

Good Sir
guys, this was posted on Celestial Heavens:

Hey everyone,

This is Ryan Smith, sound designer @ Brrapp Games. I have something to announce that any Might and Magic fan may want to hear:

Tim Lang, as we all know was a level designer and a big part of Might and Magic 6, 7, and 9. He currently heads a game development studio called Brrapp Games. Well, we're having a discussion about the possibility of making a "spiritual successor" to Might and Magic VI, that means a game that isn't but looks and feels like a true part of the series.

If you know the story of Torchlight and the history of its development, this is kinda what we want to do. We both share your frustration with the direction that the MM franchise is heading.

I have played Mandate of Heaven for many, many years (I was 6 when it first came out), so I know on a deep level what it takes to make the game as authentic as possible.

We've recently started talking about setting up a Patreon page for Brrapp Games, and a Patreon page, for those don't know, is like Kickstarter, but there is no "unsuccessful funding" deadline to worry about. It's continuous and ongoing. I have a poll set up and the results will count towards the end result, and here's why:

Tim, at least from what I can tell by working with him, seems a little hesitant and unsure of whether we should proceed immediately or save it for a future project, but I know deep down, he wants to do this.

By the way, this is what Patreon looks like:

http://www.patreon.com/

Do you guys want to see this idea come to fruition? Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

-- Ryan

and

This is Ryan Smith, Sound Designer @ Brrapp Games.

If you read the last thread I posted, you'll know what we were considering a spiritual successor to the Might and Magic series, Mandate of Heaven in particular. Well guess what...

It's coming.

Tim Lang, founder of Brrapp Games has confirmed today that yes, we are definitely making a game that will look and feel like the Might and Magic that we all remember. In case you don't know, Tim Lang was involved with the development of MM6, 7, and 9.

Now, you'll have to wait for a while before we commence on this project because we already have a couple others in the making. But after we finish those, we'll be ready.

Hope this inspires you.
smile9.gif

-- Ryan

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Instead of doing spiritual successors Tim Lang should go to work for Limbic. It'd be nice to have JVC on board too, but that's a pipe dream.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Instead of doing spiritual successors Tim Lang should go to work for Limbic. It'd be nice to have JVC on board too, but that's a pipe dream.
I don't think they'd be willing to move to Germany. I know that some of the art was outsourced to a team from China, but designers need to be in closer communication with the main development team.

About Brrapp Games
Brrapp Games is an indie game development company focused on making great games that are fun to play. Founded in 2009 by industry vet Tim Lang as a social and mobile game studio, Brrapp Games has now branched out into console
:decline:
and PC game development.
:incline:

e54bf8_280a0737a88087359e7e8043d04c1268.jpg_srz_p_145_145_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Tim Lang
President, Founder, Creative Director

Tim Lang has been in the game industry for over 16 years. He is most well known for his time spent as a Game Designer for New World Computing, and as the Lead Designer of Might and Magic IX. He also has had stints at Electronic Arts, Nival Interactive, Jailed Games, and Spin Master Studios.

The pipe is a nice touch, it gives him a :obviously: air. But I would replace MM9 Lead Designer part with "worked on MM 6, 7 and 9."

I wish him the best on the project and I'll consider supporting it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Luzur.

Turjan

Arcane
Tim Lang has been in the game industry for over 16 years. He is most well known for his time spent as a Game Designer for New World Computing, and as the Lead Designer of Might and Magic IX.

Lead Designer of M&M IX? If that isn't a recommendation... :troll:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
So they aren't happy where MM goes. If they want to create game in the likeness of MM6 - bring it on. They could have done it earlier though... all these fuckers - they wait until someone else manages something (in that case Limbic), before they make a step on their own. They could have proposed Ubisoft a "true MM successor" long ago, but they didn't. Lazy bastards.

Is there a project announced yet on this Parrot site or whatever this shit is...?

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
We both share your frustration with the direction that the MM franchise is heading.
we are definitely making a game that will look and feel like the Might and Magic that we all remember.

I haven't been following this closely and I am not reading the MMX thread, can someone tell me what he is talking about? I thought MMX was seen as a great game and mostly incline, at least thats was I gather from the Codex reaction so far. So why the frustration?

btw, is there any information how much of a success MMX is so far? Any talk about sales or MMXI?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Spiritual successor? Then what the fuck they waiting for?

Seriously - we got Early Access/Greenlight and Kickstarster and all we got is flood of the same pixelated diarrhea games, depended on trends in industry because fucking hipser indie derps-devs can't do anything else. Instead of filling the niche they creating the clones. Good fucking riddance.
No, throwing bunch of classic titles i nyer KS page, pasted from mobygames, doesn't work.

EDIT
still waiting for fanmade games. There is about 2? of them, mentioned by Luzur.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
We both share your frustration with the direction that the MM franchise is heading.
we are definitely making a game that will look and feel like the Might and Magic that we all remember.

I haven't been following this closely and I am not reading the MMX thread, can someone tell me what he is talking about? I thought MMX was seen as a great game and mostly incline, at least thats was I gather from the Codex reaction so far. So why the frustration?

MMX is a spiritual successor to MM3-5. Apparantly Smith and Lang prefers the MM6-9 engine (can't blame them).

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
We've recently started talking about setting up a Patreon page for Brrapp Games, and a Patreon page, for those don't know, is like Kickstarter, but there is no "unsuccessful funding" deadline to worry about. It's continuous and ongoing.
Wow, so Kickstarter wasn't enough, there is now literally a "give me random amounts of money now" site.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
We've recently started talking about setting up a Patreon page for Brrapp Games, and a Patreon page, for those don't know, is like Kickstarter, but there is no "unsuccessful funding" deadline to worry about. It's continuous and ongoing.
Wow, so Kickstarter wasn't enough, there is now literally a "give me random amounts of money now" site.
There always was, it's called Paypal donations.

Lhynn

Arcane
I never thought kickstarter deadline was healthy, everyone is so desperate to meet it that they mostly sell smoke trying to get the money, then fail to deliver because they set unrealistic expectations, or fail to meet goal because they were honest and open about it. It is a popular site tho, and it has a lot of popularity right now.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I never thought kickstarter deadline was healthy, everyone is so desperate to meet it that they mostly sell smoke trying to get the money, then fail to deliver because they set unrealistic expectations, or fail to meet goal because they were honest and open about it. It is a popular site tho, and it has a lot of popularity right now.
I agree about the unrealistic expectations, but there's a negative correlation between funding campaign length and success rate. I think it's psychological: if there's an imminent time limit, people are much more likely to make an impulse purchase rather than setting it aside for later, then deciding not to pay or forgetting about it.

Also, regarding the "no 'unsuccessful funding' deadline to worry about," I think it can also be useful to ensure the campaign organizers have enough funding to start and finish the project (assuming their estimates weer original). Having no deadline can result in a vicious cycle: campaigns getting started with 50% funding, getting started, running out of funds and slowing down, so people are even less likely to fund it in the future.

I'm not saying I like deadlines, but I find them useful to make sure I actually get stuff accomplished.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Tim Lang has been in the game industry for over 16 years. He is most well known for his time spent as a Game Designer for New World Computing, and as the Lead Designer of Might and Magic IX.

Is MMIX really THAT terrible? I am aware of its abysmal reputation but would love to read a Codexian review by someone who has actually played it. My knowledge of the game so far is limited to this review, which says that the game isn't all that bad. Also, the GoG version seems to come with a fan-patch applied by default so.. it can't be that bad.. can it?

Alchemist

Arcane
Re: Patreon, the most known in these parts is probably Matt Barton's : http://www.patreon.com/blacklily8

Which brings to mind a concern... I thought Patreon is designed to support on-going releases of smaller, episodic-like content (like a youtube show in Matt's case). I'm unsure how this structure would work for a major game project like this M&M VI successor Brrapp is talking about.

I don't see any good reason not to use Kickstarter for this. Saying "we don't want deadlines" isn't a good reason and kind of sets off a red flag.

Dorateen

Arcane

Is MMIX really THAT terrible? I am aware of its abysmal reputation but would love to read a Codexian review by someone who has actually played it. My knowledge of the game so far is limited to this review, which says that the game isn't all that bad. Also, the GoG version seems to come with a fan-patch applied by default so.. it can't be that bad.. can it?

It's the weakest of the series, no question, and graphics are ugly. But that shouldn't really matter. We can acknowledge 2D is superior to 3D and move on. If you enjoy party based dungeon crawling, world exploration and similar combat mechanics (ranged weapons in real time, melee in turn based) of 6 - 7, it should be playable enough. I always compare the Writ of Fate in context of what the cRPG landscape looked at that time and the direction things were headed.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

It's the weakest of the series, no question, and graphics are ugly. But that shouldn't really matter. We can acknowledge 2D is superior to 3D and move on. If you enjoy party based dungeon crawling, world exploration and similar combat mechanics (ranged weapons in real time, melee in turn based) of 6 - 7, it should be playable enough. I always compare the Writ of Fate in context of what the cRPG landscape looked at that time and the direction things were headed.
Even in that context it's atrocious. Wizardry 8 had far less bugs, better art style, better mechanics - better everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom