Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The More You Know, ToEE Edition™

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bits of trivia and curious cases I've stumbled upon while spelunking in the ToEE DLL:

The ToEE stat roller ensured you get at least one stat that is at least 13, and that sum of derived modifiers is at least positive. It also happens to give you all 18s if you roll 10,000 times... and all 3s if you roll past that!

Sitra Achara

Arcane
bwahaha

hZ0rVXn.jpg

That's the sort of thing you run into when trying to diagnose ToEE's crappy pathfinding :P

Black

Arcane
Ye, it really is fun when you try to charge at an enemy and the game finds ridiculous ways to not let that happen.
One of the reasons I respect the DOS pathfinding so much.

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Found more bullshit.
In the material files (*.mdf), you either have to use backslashes or slashes in your texture filenames, depending on whether you write "Textured" or "General" in the first line... Wat?

Texture "art\ground\block_ll.tga"
vs.
Texture 0 "art/meshes/monsters/Gelatinous_cube/G_cube.tga"

If you use backslashes in General" materials, they're just eaten up.

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Yeah, their parser is buggy and doesnt allow for \\.
They also consistently used slashes in the "General" ones and backslashes in the "Textured" ones.

Bits of trivia and curious cases I've stumbled upon while spelunking in the ToEE DLL:

The ToEE stat roller ensured you get at least one stat that is at least 13, and that sum of derived modifiers is at least positive. It also happens to give you all 18s if you roll 10,000 times... and all 3s if you roll past that!

uhh...

Y7sv0OJ.jpg

:negative:

Sitra Achara

Arcane

uhh...

Y7sv0OJ.jpg

:negative:

Ironically, I missed the fact that the above check only applies to Ironman games :P

Black

Arcane
If you don't roll for over a thousand times for those sweet 18s and 16s then how can you even say you played the game??

Aothan

Magister
I'm okay with 14s and 16s for main attributes, probably because most characters are usually quasi-'hybrids' to begin with (i.e. Rangers, Druids and Paladins) although even 'min' attributes are typically 12 or more but I would like a system where a set number of rolls are available for the entire party. So you have maybe 10 - 15 rolls and the six or so selected and then the character sheets one uses for characters

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Did you know ToEE had an Awesome Mode? It really was ahead of its time! Simply type 'critical' into the console to enable.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Did you know ToEE had an Awesome Mode? It really was ahead of its time! Simply type 'critical' into the console to enable.

It's shit if you can't map it to a button.

I suppose there's some lame technical excuse as to why we can't have controller support :mad:

Aothan

Magister
difficult varies at points throughout the game, but even early and battles that might appear straightforward can spontaneously produce challenge by way of unexpected developments, e.g. one or more creatures has a favourable die roll on your character. And whilst some might say this randomness is a flaw in encounter design, the design as a whole is structured around this type of interplay - so characters and parties need to adjust to situations as they arise

I would recommend giving the game a good try, not metagaming by way of guides and the likes, and enjoying the experience as intended

edit: btw this is probably in the wrong thread >_<

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I'd even say that the game is balanced on the assumption that sometimes your characters die and lag behind a level on average due to resurrection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom