Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Lol. No it isn't. The game is open source. The formula is right there for the taking, and even if it weren't the game is relatively simplistic and should be somewhat easy to replicate. But who has tried to replicate it? Everyone understandably wants to add their own spice even if heavily inspired by Doom, and even id themselves have clearly wanted to do something different ever since Doom 2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Question is do they make it about derpy jumpscares and vignettes of 5-6 monsters at a time like Doom 3 or traditional shitloads of enemies like the (even) older games? The pacing of Doom 3 was terrible.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Don't forget the level design. Truly makes or breaks a game. There could be swarms of Demons but if it is just a series of corridors, no puzzles, environmental hazards, interaction with the game world, intelligent monster placement, secret areas etc it would be a failure.

34scell

Augur
It's just the sad fact that devs would rather spend their time creating a banal sandbox or tricking you into thinking your not traversing a corridor with a pretty background, rather than practising real level design.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Lol. No it isn't. The game is open source. The formula is right there for the taking, and even if it weren't the game is relatively simplistic and should be somewhat easy to replicate

Yeah that source code is what, 200 lines? Easy peezy. It's all laid out right there - the SECRET to the correct gameplay feel. All concentrated in one place. Just use... those constants declared over there, put them into a generic FPS, and voila, DOOM!

:nocountryforshitposters:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
That's exactly what it is you clown. Hell there are the Doom source ports that are standard today, so Doom has technically have already been replicated (and improved upon), at least in the code department which is the forefront. Get off Carmack's dick.

"THE SECRET"

It's only a mystery to idiots.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
it's a big difference between copying something and creating a thing that has the qualities admired in the original. you can take the levels apart and look at them and recreate them all you want, doesn't mean you can then make your own levels that are up to the same quality - especially not when working a in a huge studio environment.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Well the word used was "replicated", meaning a close or exact copy of.
If we are not talking in terms of replication then there are plenty of FPS that take the major qualities of Doom and use them well.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That's exactly what it is you clown. Hell there are the Doom source ports that are standard today, so Doom has technically have already been replicated (and improved upon), at least in the code department which is the forefront. Get off Carmack's dick.

"THE SECRET"

It's only a mystery to idiots.

When a tard exposes himself, saves me typing time. Thanks!

Machocruz

Arcane
It's not going to be as good as DOOM, no matter what they do or how much they understand, so get that out of your heads. Shadows and dust, Maximus. They should just call it DOOM Gaiden, make it typical cinemajestic popabrole and save themselves the trouble and humiliation of trying to restore glory. The Classical Age is never something moderns can rekindle.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"If we are not talking in terms of replication then there are plenty of FPS that take the major qualities of Doom and use them well."

Which games? Modern ones, specifically, not stuff like Blood or Quake. There are plenty of good fps games but I can't think of any that have the Doom feeling.

FEAR has more satisfying gunplay but the level design is extremely boring, and you are pretty much just fighting humans the whole time.

Stuff like Deus Ex and SS2 (if you consider them FPS) have more detailed environments, but they are realistic at the end of the day so they cannot offer the kind of creativity on display in the Doom levels.

All the new attempts at making "old-school" style games have fallen flat, since they are approaching it from the wrong angle of having a bullet point list of "shit that seems old-school" but are applying it to what is at the end of the day is a game designed with modern FPS structures, i.e. making the player move fast but still having corridor levels, having XTREME weapons but only allowing two of them to be carried at a time as well little thought given to what purpose the different weapons can serve, XTREME enemies but giving little thought to their placement (enemy placement is one of the prime things that made Doom what it is). There is just a general thoughtlessness to all these modern FPS games that makes them very boring.

Alfons

Prophet
Getting the Doom formula right is VERY difficult. The problem is that developers don't get the formula at all, and this ought to be the easy part.
And what is the formula? I saw you shitting on posts left and right in the BD vs Doom thread, but I don't think I ever saw you actually elaborate on what Doom is actually about.

Alfons

Prophet
Seeing as the guy I quoted used the word it seems appropriate to use it.:?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
As a figure of speech I don't see why it cannot be used for game design and code, and all the other aspects combined making something very complex and specific that can still be replicated to some degree.

toroid

Arcane
Doom's design "formula" can be described as being exactly the opposite of how Bethesduh produces their games.

edit:
To elaborate, every aspect of Doom is hand-crafted, polished to perfection, and has character.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
To elaborate, every aspect of Doom is hand-crafted, polished to perfection, and has character.
The reason I asked the person I asked is because I want his take on the matter. Hell, you were on the BD vs Doom thread, you should understand that's not the answer or even the type of answer I'm looking for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom