Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Zeriel

Arcane
"If we are not talking in terms of replication then there are plenty of FPS that take the major qualities of Doom and use them well."

Which games? Modern ones, specifically, not stuff like Blood or Quake. There are plenty of good fps games but I can't think of any that have the Doom feeling.

FEAR has more satisfying gunplay but the level design is extremely boring, and you are pretty much just fighting humans the whole time.

Stuff like Deus Ex and SS2 (if you consider them FPS) have more detailed environments, but they are realistic at the end of the day so they cannot offer the kind of creativity on display in the Doom levels.

All the new attempts at making "old-school" style games have fallen flat, since they are approaching it from the wrong angle of having a bullet point list of "shit that seems old-school" but are applying it to what is at the end of the day is a game designed with modern FPS structures, i.e. making the player move fast but still having corridor levels, having XTREME weapons but only allowing two of them to be carried at a time as well little thought given to what purpose the different weapons can serve, XTREME enemies but giving little thought to their placement (enemy placement is one of the prime things that made Doom what it is). There is just a general thoughtlessness to all these modern FPS games that makes them very boring.

Painkiller comes to mind. It's not super modern (and the modern remake sucked), but it's still clearly beyond the classic era, made by a janky amateur european company that shouldn't have managed greatness, yet comes pretty close. Like everyone else said, the sad thing is modern game developers aren't even trying to make a proper Doom sequel, they keep making another console shooter and attaching the brand name to it. That's the goal.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Painkiller is anything but great. It takes off Serious Sam, a glorified indie game that came out with a simplistic take on the Doom formula because the developers didn't have the necessary talent to do any real level design.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Dunno if I missed something. All I saw on Youtube was the old "super secret" trailer which was clearly another "vertical slice" like Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Unlike A:CM video, however, it looked fucking horrible. Linear Doom with monochrome levels and scripted bullshit.

looked alright, was expecting much worse

This, gameplay-wsie might be funnier than D3 coz looks more like action game than survival horror... but I can stand such lame monster design, basically it's a mix between Doom 3 and Quake 4, damn bring back good old Baron of Hell from D1/D2.

Astral Rag

Arcane
So as expected "Doom" 4 is a mix of:

Wolfenstein TNO: engine , gameplay, level design
DOOM 3: visual style, monster design
Brutal Doom: lolz awesome violence

yawn.gif~c200

Machocruz

Arcane
but I can stand such lame monster design, basically it's a mix between Doom 3 and Quake 4, damn bring back good old Baron of Hell from D1/D2.

Seriously. Get rid of the Giger/Gears of War shit and bring back my horned goat demons. Can't anyone into Hell iconography anymore? These designs look like typical concept art student portfolio shit.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Are all the enemies now bulletsponges, or does the shotgun have a criminally huge spread like every modern shotgun?
Which enemy type is what? I can hardly tell one from another
Where is the general feeling of carnage? In Doom this'd pass off as EEEAAASSSYYY
Will there be more open areas? This reminds me more of Doom 3 mixed with Quake 4
Will there be your face (or Doomguy's face) on the HUD as was promised in that one interview?
Did that guy just stare off at the background while the enemy was at his right, doing fuck-all?
Can I pause my chainsaw massacre to retreat to safety instead of being sucked into another cinematic execution?
Did the player even run?
Where's the metal? What is this pussy shit one calls music?
Will there be a FoV slider?
Why is the level design consist of only tight corridors?
What is happening?
Is this real?
Who am I?
john_cena-confused.gif

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, at least that looks "more fun" than Doom 3 if nothing else. Unless they bring back the awesome Closet Demon spawnpoints.

dunno lah

Arcane
Quakecon-goers must be retarded if they praised this...shit. The least i expected was the visual design of classic Doom with nice graphics. Instead, I get Doom 3 all over again with *aliens* who glow to tell you to "FINISH ME!!!". I am sad child.

The sound is horrible too. Dunno if it's just the video, but it all sounds muffled and "zero-adrenaline".

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
None of the guns shown have any weight or impact.
Cinematic takedowns
Cinematic chainsaw
gory "edginess"

bletch

sser

Arcane
Developer
I thought that looked pretty good. I take into account that most shit is played up for E3, though. Spoilers: it's scripted, dudes. The clips of the multiplayer type action seemed much faster which I'm assuming is how the actual game will be.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I wonder if the game pauses in multiplayer every time the player needs to switch a weapon. This game seems to be all show, no substance. And the fucking take downs got old for me already just by watching this video. Imagine having to do that shit through out the whole game.

Machocruz

Arcane
No longer innovators, just followers. Why takedowns/executions? Because everyone else has takedowns/executions, so youze can kill things even deader *headscratch*. And glowing items popping out of destroyed monsters looks real stupid. Not only that, I've seen that exact same thing in some other game. Too bad, looks like a better package than Doom 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom