Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

DraQ

Arcane
Skyrim looks like Oblivion
Dafuq.
Of all the thing that they took from Brutal Doom, they took the derpiest aspect: the executions and the violence.
Rather the most visible aspect, regardless of its derpiness.

We live in times when average gamer can know and understand more about game design than typical dev because they have more contact with more and more diverse games and mods to play and analyze.

Does anyone think the devs thoroughly analyze whatever they claim to be inspired by?
It's called Brutal Doom, it looks brutal, it's popular, 'ere we go.
Same as with Fallout being gore + dark humour.

This isn't malice.
It's a direct consequence of the fact that even if you were a lead of some sort and knew what made the game/mod in question great, you have no way to brief your team unless by some freak chance they are all avid fans of the game in question and actually also have the exact same :obviously: view on what made it great.
Otherwise only the aspects that are immediately presentable can make it through.

Btw no iron sights AFAIK. :incline:
I hate to spoil your fun, but original Doom's weapon sprites were centered on your screen for a reason.
:troll:

Israfael

Arcane
At first it looked like a pure PC game, but then i saw the dude pointing at 30 degrees off and killing the imp or whatever that was on the screen. Wouldn't hold high hopes for this, it'd be at TNO's level at best, DNF at worst. iD has long lost its way and won't ever find it again.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
This isn't malice.
It's a direct consequence of the fact that even if you were a lead of some sort and knew what made the game/mod in question great, you have no way to brief your team unless by some freak chance they are all avid fans of the game in question and actually also have the exact same :obviously: view on what made it great.
Otherwise only the aspects that are immediately presentable can make it through.

But you could at least assume that Id software developers were FPS enthusiasts, since that's pretty much what they do. FPS games. It's not like they used to make casual mobile games.

Like if you strip Doom away from it's fantastic level design, like yeah you still got an entertaining shooter but c'mon. Like What's the difference between Serious Sam and Doom? Not that hard to figure out.

Of course one of the reasons could be that they seriously lack talent and can't design to save their lives, which would be pretty damn sad if it is true.

DraQ

Arcane
But you could at least assume that Id software developers were FPS enthusiasts
There is no such entity as Id Software.
There are people. Employees.
They come and go.

There are far more of them than when Id did Dooms too, but even then I'd wager most of the stuff just happened because of all sorts of frictions in the team (*cough* Carmack, Romero *cough*) or by accident rather than being planned in any way.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
But yes, 'takedowns' in general have always been lame. Deus Ex, Hatred, Doom, it doesn't matter, eventually they get old as fuck.

Not when they're reserved for boss monsters, like in Duke Nukem.

"But wait! Those weren't takedown, they were cinematic cutscenes!!!111"

Precisely. :smug:

As for the new Doom footage - they remade Doom 3, weapons and all, except they dropped all the survival horror aspects. Monsters are now all identical-looking piñatas that drop health and ammo. And the over-the-top violence was over the top. Either I'm getting (too) old or I'm just jaded to the whole thing.

The Hell video is even worse. You gotta hand it to Bethesda, they're the first developer that makes Hell look dull and boring. And now Goomba stomping counts as a takedown? Thank goodness Bethesda doesn't own the Mario license...

The only thing I saw that even picqued my interest was the "echo scan" gimmick, which can make for a nice "organic" way to give exposition and unfold the plot. It's like a holographic version of the e-mails found all over Citadel Station.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Don't be ridiculous. Skyrim, even vanilla, looked nothing like Oblivion. No spherical heads, no eye-gouging bloom, decent textures, etc.

Well, it looked like that to me and a lot of others. It's no coincidence people called it "Oblivion 2.5"

Seems like people/AI already delivered so I only drop this.

tumblr_npysuuAubk1r5x7c3o1_1280.png

Call me jaded but I would not be surprised if Anita was paid to make these comments for more controversy (it's so gory and awesum like original DOOM!).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Call me jaded but I would not be surprised if Anita was paid to make these comments for more controversy (it's so gory and awesum like original DOOM!).

Nah, that's her quick side project (to bubblin' about dem old game, whose teach nothing, especially about fem culture) in the meantime between average sjw postin'.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Somewhat faster-paced Doom 3 with seemingly better movement, and BD-grade cheesy gore.
Let's be honest here: 'Tis the best you were going to get at this point, and by a large margin.
So we're getting Brutal Doom 3 now?
I figure that's the best id Software can shit out nowadays.

resilient sphere

Educated
Not looking forward to this game in particular, oh well. the old Doom map format allowed for strangeness and subtlety, and far more settings than just Space Corridors With Equidistant Superenemies. This modular snap-together Doom 4 map-lego couldn't be further away from the strength of the old games.

Thankfully it means that none of the good Doom modders will jump ship =P

Robert Jarzebina

The game is so slow and the time even slow down when player is choosing a weapon LOL WTF. Consolization of this game is really horrible.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Just watched the trailer and after a few seconds I noticed the slow speed and came here to rant about it, but I see, you already beat me to it :D

Also what did they do to the Cyberdemon? It looks ridiculous.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gameplay slow as fuck.

Monster appear running on the gameplay videos, but they still can't harm you by keeping the distance. Weapons are to powerful for that scarce number of enemies. There need to be more of them to set a proper challenge, this feels like "I'm too young to die". Original Doom didn't had amazing AI but thanks to the level designers it wasn't so bad. Also, the variety of them. So far I think there was imp, seargant, mancubus, revenant and something in-between them. Seriously, no Arch-Ville or machine gun soldiers ?

The takedown mechanics look a little derpy with the flashing enemies when they are near dead. I hope you can turn it off. The chainsaw feels good, it won't do much in later game but for the beginning it will be a cool weapon. Other weapons are better than in D3, don't know how it will feel in the final version of the game. Less boring audio logs and building a "horror" atmosphere is a big plus. Level editor - I want E1M1 from Doom 2 remade on this engine. Hope this time ID won't forget about the optimalization like in Rage's case and will bring more support and patches to the community.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Human Revolution lead had everyone play DX1 before they started on the game.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The atmosphere and style is coherent and harmonious... which is good. I guess it will become a solid shooter after all. Average probably, but solid.

Regarding slow gameplay: didn't you notice that the character movements are slow on purpose? This has been done quite often lately, just for the sake of presentation. It's easier then to follow movements, acting of the player, show environments. Also compression in youtube videos sometimes make fast movements blurred, so they were better off with a slow video and clear picture quality.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Might have more to do with the fact that slow movement also artificially extends the game length by 200%.

Or you know, trying to steer fast moving characters with a gamepad is not the most welcoming experience.

DraQ

Arcane
Just watched the trailer.
The game is so slow and the time even slow down when player is choosing a weapon LOL WTF. Consolization of this game is really horrible.
The original Doom was already slow (apart from movement speed), but this really looks maybe not as much slow (apart from movement which is molasses) as mindless, even by Doom's standards. There seems to be no way to make any sort of tactical error aside from walking into projectiles.
It basically seems like Quake 2 bashed on top of Diablo 2's hell/oblivion gate (Hell) or some generic UT3 level (industrial), except even worse as Q2 was at least hitscan dominant so for all the enemy ineptitude and slowness you were actually in (some) trouble if the enemy actually managed to fire at place where you were still standing.
All in all, just like in Q2, I can't imagine anyone feeling anything but overwhelimng pity for the derpy crippled monsters when playing this. Certainly not fear nor hatred.

Another way this seems like Q2 is extra monotonous environments. Look up some original Doom screenshots if your memory is faulty and marvel at environmental diversity they manage to convey despite being shoddy 2.5D affairs with no support for any "advanced" architecture like sloped anything or multi-floor structures.
Monotonous doesn't mean free from being pointlessly busy with eyecandy - everything spews some sort of particles or at least colorful lighting all over the screen, everything is some sort of pointlessly detailed mechanical or organic contraption. Eyecandy, including lighting is only as good as the purpose it serves and I'm sad to say that original Dooms have used lighting in far superior manner to Dumb 4, despite their excessive technological limitations.

Enemy visual design seem to fall into some unholy valley between D3 and originals - way blander and less creepy than D3 but not nearly as distinctive as originals. Bleh.

Overall, from the environments, through the effects and overall visual style the game looks like an UT3 mod (especially in industrial locations) and not in a good way either.

Weapon design doesn't look very good either - unless you're doing a milsim or have some other overriding priorities, a hallmark of well designed FPS weapons is that they allow player to make an educated guess (not necessarily the right one - if you can manage some interesting subversion) at what does it do after catching a mere glimpse of it.
If the best guess they can make when looking at half of your arsenal is "uhhh... some sort of futuristic AR?" or "A haphazard arrangement of cubes and tubes" then you have failed. An FPS weapon must be distinctive.

Lastly, HUD. The one thing FPS games has always had going for them is immersion - the most basic, sensory kind of it.
This means every time you stick some HUD info into player face (unless the player is some sort of cyborg like Adam "I never Asked of This" Jensen and you feel pressing need to convey that) or put a metagame cue like derpy glow on enemies player can punch dead you have failed in some small but substantial manner (possibly as concession for something more important).
The way the enemy death anims are effectively overtaken by massive icon spill of pickups is just unforgivable.

The chainsaw feels good
Depending on how badly does it lock you into cinefaggic anim.

Less boring audio logs and building a "horror" atmosphere is a big plus.
Actually going for more horror atmosphere would be good since it was a bit of a direction original Dooms tried to go in.
It would have to be skilfully executed so as to not override general gameplay pace or level design, but there can be well designed and fast paced, but moody FPS games and I don't see either the right pacing or even marginally competent level design in the trailers anyway.

Also, the "echo scan" or whatever it's called seems like pointless gimmick that's just an excuse to put more SHOCKING and BRÜTAL shit in game but only ends up wasting resources and man-hours for making one-shot animations for setpieces. It's not a System Shock 2 and it won't be. Logs would at least have been less intrusive and less of a development effort.

As for the good stuff:
Uhhh... Mancubi melt in the usual way?

Seems like people/AI already delivered so I only drop this.

tumblr_npysuuAubk1r5x7c3o1_1280.png

Can someone send her a message that they would like to see her deflorated with a chainsaw?
I look forward to seeing her resonating at many BHz after reading that.
:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom