Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

nomask7

Arcane
I think I know why DOOM (2016) is shit: the publisher didn't want to make people become addicted to the game. It's like planned obsolescence. You're not creating an MMORPG that can be milked monthly for several years, you're creating a game you sell once and then you want to be able to sell another game six months later, and then another, and then another. That's why they chose the repetitive, shallow style instead of the classic, enduring gameplay of the original. They know people aren't dumb enough to want to play it for ages, that's the whole point, planned obsolescence. They're too dumb to boycott it though. Isn't capitalism great?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So this is now on a Humble Bundle (for $29.99). I'll assume sales wise, this just didn't do so well. I don't think Skyrim ever made it to a Humble Bundle as soon as DOOM did? Or if ever?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
So this is now on a Humble Bundle (for $29.99). I'll assume sales wise, this just didn't do so well. I don't think Skyrim ever made it to a Humble Bundle as soon as DOOM did? Or if ever?
Skyrim is on HB. It has about the same sales like Wolfenstein : New Order so probably there will be sequel/DLC/MP maps support.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If a new game costs a lot to make and doesn't sell that well, isn't there usually at least one sequel made with a fraction of the first game's budget, full of reused assets and recycled content so they can at least make some of their losses back?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Skyrim is on HB. It has about the same sales like Wolfenstein : New Order so probably there will be sequel/DLC/MP maps support.

Did Skyrim go to HumbleBundle in less than a year after it's release though? Somehow I kind of doubt that.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If a new game costs a lot to make and doesn't sell that well, isn't there usually at least one sequel made with a fraction of the first game's budget, full of reused assets and recycled content so they can at least make some of their losses back?
Sort of like Wolfenstein: The Old Blood?
Although I gotta ask whether Megatextures really allow reuse of assets, most of The Old Blood stuff looked fairly original compared to TNO.

Boleskine

Arcane
Being on the Humble store is different than being in a Humble Bundle. Doom is just on the store and hasn't actually been bundled. It has been discounted 50% on Steam and other retailers a few times since the summer. It's probably still selling well due to positive reviews and word of mouth, but regular discounts are normal to reach more players especially when the MSRP is so high. Most people who are willing to pay $60 for Doom have already bought the game at launch.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Did Skyrim go to HumbleBundle in less than a year after it's release though? Somehow I kind of doubt that.

I don't know. I believe that Id is satisfied with sales concerning how market is saturated with shooters. Altough, they probably wanted to gain more impact for future of Doom as rebooted franchise. Judging how Shadow warrior 2 sells quite slow in that genre, they will carefully plan next release and probably won't release new Doom before winter 2017 or even 2018.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I am just finding this interesting (from a sales perspective) that it went on discount rather soon. And yes, I do agree, the FPS market is rather saturated. Wonder if they did at least achieve the initial sales they were expecting from this.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Although I gotta ask whether Megatextures really allow reuse of assets, most of The Old Blood stuff looked fairly original compared to TNO.

Megatexture does the exact opposite. It allows a greater variety of textures and hand-painted detail without blowing up in vram usage, the downside is it has an impact on file size.

The above video goes into the details into the benefits and downsides that Megatexture presents.

You can also see and read the improvement the Id Tech 6 team made to the system here:

02c7c84867.jpg

9928c5a35e.jpg

62ecd40b52.jpg

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am just finding this interesting (from a sales perspective) that it went on discount rather soon. And yes, I do agree, the FPS market is rather saturated. Wonder if they did at least achieve the initial sales they were expecting from this.

It even had a large discount at release date via Paypal, I paid less the %50 at day 1.

HansDampf

Arcane
I played this for about an hour and just got the Plasma Rifle. I don't know if it's just me, but I'm already getting bored. Everything is brown, the fights play all the same, and I'm not a fan of the melee finishers. They only slow the game down and other enemies will, of course, conveniently wait for my attacks to finish. I'd rather just shoot my way through.
Does it get better?

It's also funny how the game, at first, doesn't treat its story seriously with Doomguy punching the monitor, but later it locks me into a room for 5 minutes of exposition...

Durandal

Arcane
I played this for about an hour and just got the Plasma Rifle. I don't know if it's just me, but I'm already getting bored. Everything is brown, the fights play all the same, and I'm not a fan of the melee finishers. They only slow the game down and other enemies will, of course, conveniently wait for my attacks to finish. I'd rather just shoot my way through.
Does it get better?
the arenas get slightly bigger over time
other than that no

It's also funny how the game, at first, doesn't treat its story seriously with Doomguy punching the monitor, but later it locks me into a room for 5 minutes of exposition...
expect to see more 'don't take me seriously but please do' down the road

Durandal

Arcane
this arcade mode seems to cut out the fat of the campaign mode and all the RPG shit that slowed things down
I don't have the faintest idea why they didn't went straight ahead with that in the first place, as it's pretty much a straight improvement over the campaign mode
just shows where their design priorities lie

ColCol

Arcane
I just want more campaign stuff.

You know, it's interesting that they kinda left room for a hexen esque-spin off.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Megatexture does the exact opposite. It allows a greater variety of textures and hand-painted detail without blowing up in vram usage, the downside is it has an impact on file size.

The above video goes into the details into the benefits and downsides that Megatexture presents.

You can also see and read the improvement the Id Tech 6 team made to the system here:

02c7c84867.jpg

9928c5a35e.jpg

62ecd40b52.jpg

Carmack has been pretty big on texture variety since Quake 3. Too bad it is all in the service of shit now.

nomask7

Arcane
Anybody doing anything with the editor? Maybe modders can fix this shit.

I tried doing a classic style level, but the monsters are complete pussies when they're not jumping at you in hordes for five minutes from every direction. It would take a lot of work and probably wouldn't be worth it even if it somehow succeeded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom