Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I hope that the future will allow more console players to customize their graphics settings to their liking. Quite a few Xbone exclusives have done this IIRC.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Console peasants will always have to live with shitty 30 fps. That will be true with the Playstation 5 too, I bet.

Yeah once they'll manage most games at 4k/60fps, they'll probably push for 8k/30fps. :|
Still a somewhat unfitting place for this accusation, since Doom runs at 60fps on consoles.

At medium setting, with the game going in and out 1080p constantly. Consoles lul

Kitchen Utensil

Console peasants will always have to live with shitty 30 fps. That will be true with the Playstation 5 too, I bet.

Yeah once they'll manage most games at 4k/60fps, they'll probably push for 8k/30fps. :|
Still a somewhat unfitting place for this accusation, since Doom runs at 60fps on consoles.

At medium setting, with the game going in and out 1080p constantly. Consoles lul

Well, yes, it has adaptive resolution. Still better than 30fps or unstable framerate, which the 4k patch apparently suffers from. But the problem here is the shitty game anyway, not the tech. And if you haven't noticed, PC gaming is declining just fine along with consoles.

Melcar

Arcane

Well, yes, it has adaptive resolution. Still better than 30fps or unstable framerate, which the 4k patch apparently suffers from. But the problem here is the shitty game anyway, not the tech. And if you haven't noticed, PC gaming is declining just fine along with consoles.

Spoken like a true console cuck.

Kitchen Utensil

Spoken like a true console cuck.

Spoken like a true, butthurt, PC only hipster.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
And if you haven't noticed, PC gaming is declining just fine along with consoles.

PC gaming ceased to exist the moment the Xbox showed up. All the genres that could cross over had to be consolized and those that couldn't got stop being made.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

And if you haven't noticed, PC gaming is declining just fine along with consoles.

PC gaming ceased to exist the moment the Xbox showed up. All the genres that could cross over had to be consolized and those that couldn't got stop being made.

No. Just because the dark ages for PC and consoles began around the same time doesn't mean consoles (or even one console specifically) are solely responsible. It's the users of both.

The first genres I think of when I read your quote are FPSs, RTSs and CRPGs. Genres that I'd say should be exclusively developed for and played on PC (even though most games nowadays are dumbed down way beyond what would be required for gamepads). There are still lots and lots of PC exclusives in those genres, but people don't buy the good ones (bacause muh graphics or some shit), or start playing them with a gamepad, on their PC.

Back in 2004 a whole bunch of PC gamers adopted Steam, because they wanted to play Half-Life 2 (a complete shit game btw). They managed just fine to enslave themselves, no consoles needed. The whole free-to-play and games-as-a-service schemes work just fine in milking PC users. The fucking streaming of crap games to huge imbecile audiences (and the consequent development and advertisement of fitting games to such audiences) started on PC...

The amount of retarded games and players may be higher on console, but they infested the PC as well, to such a degree that I find it ridiculous to blame consoles. I despise the user bases of both equally.

Kitchen Utensil

Look, PC is in almost every way the superior platform. Better hardware, more and better input devices, modding - just to name a few. But if you don't see how PC software and users are declining completely independently from consoles you're deluded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Part of what drove enthusiasm for PC gaming lied in the experimental possibilities offered by platform. The moment developers had to conform to one set up and a specific number of conventions all that went out of the window.

You want your game to have sprawling, complex levels? Opps, can't, console hardware can't handle those.

Want fast gunplay? Ayy controllers won't allow it.

Want complex interface or interactivity capabilities? Can't, no mouse click.

Consoles are all about one thing and one thing only: immediacy and ease of access. The only type of games that can thrive in such an environment are actions games that can work with a controller (so FPSes are out of the window) and cinematic games. A game like Torment wouldn't work on consoles, too much text. You need cutscenes and voice dialog, which means less complex writing or at the very least a lot less variables. Branching conversations are a thing of the past because the effort to voice them all is simply too great. Strategy games, board type games, anything turn based. None of that is gonna work.

I mean i could go on but i'd just be stating the obvious. The only counter argument i've seen is that dumping down for commercial purposes is something that existed on PC as well (well, duh, that shit is everywhere), and that conversely great games have been made on consoles. But neither of those actually refute the argument, since consoles made the first problem a million times worse and all the great games that have come out on console were still subject to the limitations of the platform. There's also an east and west divine here, because Japan only had consoles to work with, so they had to adapt to the limitations of the platform and find ways to work with what they had, where as western developers were completely stumped when multiplatform became a necessity. None of the genres of games they were used to make could easily be made to fit the new parameters they had to work with, and so when the time came to adapt those games to the new platform, the only direction was total mutilation. Butchered interface systems, a narrowing of options and complexity, a push towards action at the expense of strategy and so forth. The Dark Souls formula works well on consoles because Dark Souls is a console game at heart. Arcade style action that arks back to a long tradition of arcade twitch gameplay. By comparison, there is no such thing as "console" Deus Ex. There's only butchered Deus Ex. And butchered Thief. And butchered Fallout and so on. You can't have System Shock, you can only have Bioshock.

Ultimately, what all this comes down to is that consoles only shine at one type of thing. All efforts to make PC gaming to fit into the new platform have resulted in genres being butchered or being discarded altogether. The problem essentially is not that consoles imply dumping down in and of themselves, they merely imply dumping down of features that were specific to PC games. You can have difficult arcade games like Dark Souls on consoles because arcade games already fit the parameters of the platform (immediacy, ease of access and so on). PC games however were made under different parameters and could not be changed without being ruined in the process.

See, everything worked perfectly when PC games were allowed to be what they were intended to be, and console games existed in their own isolated ecosystem. With the Xbox, all that changed. PC games had to be "consolized" where as console games could remain essentially what they have always been.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Whatever the reason, the Xbox started this cross platform shit, which is what ruined PC gaming. Yes, there was decline on the PC with or without consoles, but that's neither here nor there, because decline and dumbfuckery exists everywhere. The advent of multiplatform development was however the crucial factor and is what gave PC the death knell. From Doom/Quake to Doom 3. From Deus Ex 1 to Deus Ex 2. From Thief 1 & 2 to Thief 3. From Baldur's Gate to Jade Empire/Knight of the Old Republic and so on. Interfaces had to be changed. Everything had to made in first or third person. Isometric view had to be thrown out the window. Level design had to be curtailed, because of the lower memory of consoles etc etc. And any genre that couldn't be butchered to fit consoles simply disappeared from the map and became relegated to a forgotten niche.

Notice how we had no problems when PCs and consoles were their own separate entities, all though one could argue that the success of the Playstation made the advent of the Xbox inevitable, and is what gave us this plebeian mass mentality that dominates gaming as a whole at this point (games used to be for nerds by nerds, but with the Playstation we got invaded by normies, dude bros and other assorted philistines). Either way, Microsoft destroyed their own unique gaming echo system they had on PC and there's nothing that can salvage it now. There is no such thing as PC games anymore (indie stuff notwithstanding, all though indies are not the saving grace we had hope them to be). There's console games that sometimes get made on the PC as well.

Egosphere

Arcane
Notice how we had no problems when PCs and consoles were their own separate entities, all though one could argue that the success of the Playstation made the advent of the Xbox inevitable, and is what gave us this plebeian mass mentality that dominates gaming as a whole at this point (games used to be for nerds by nerds, but with the Playstation we got invaded by normies, dude bros and other assorted philistines).

Don't think that's fair on either PS1 or 2. It went a completely different way from the PCs, focusing mostly on jrpgs, survival horror, platformers and action games. Stuff like MGS, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, RE, Ratchet and Clank, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot was hardly the reason for MS pushing out Xbox. Xbox was the first console that tried to appropriate PC dominated genres. By 2007, the consoles had CoD 4, Bioshock, Resistance, Haze, Halo 3, Killzone 2 and others as their big sellers. That's a big swing from stuff like Ico and FF10 being top dogs on the previous generation.

lightbane

Arcane
I think one thing that helped the decline is people growing up with this kind of games and becoming accustomed, becoming unable to react to something "new" and/or reproducing the same shit over, over and over all.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Bethesda just announced Doom OST on vinyl lol wtf

Doom-Soundtrack-1-600x600.jpg

Doom-Soundtrack-3-600x600.jpg

'Composed by long-time Bethesda collaborator Mick Gordon, his intense vision channels industrial metal to mirror DOOM’s trademark fast and powerful first-person shooter gameplay across 31 synth and metal-filled tracks, spanning over two hours of runtime.'

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Probably the only thing half decent about the game. Youtube is obviously shit for listening to music. Trying to figure out how to buy the FLACs or MP3s without a phone. Spotify just wants me to sign up, doesn't tell me price or what format I can download it in. How the fuck do you buy music in this day and age? I thought they would have made the process easy by now.

Last edited:

Sodafish

Arcane
Spotify just wants me to sign up, doesn't tell me price or what format I can download it in

320 kbps lossy is the highest quality they do. You can download the files rather than stream them, but they're DRM'd and locked to their software.

In short, bollocks to that.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Yeah, I gave up actually, still don't even know how much it costs. I don't mind throwing a few bones out there for mediocre crap if I know *where* to throw 'em. I did it the old fashioned way in probably under 90 seconds.

Sodafish

Arcane
still don't even know how much it costs

You pay a flat rate for a subscription, and then you can stream/download as much as you want. Alternatively, you don't pay and are forced to listen to ads (there may be other limitations too, not sure).

I only have a subscription because it came with my phone contract. I wouldn't pay it otherwise.

T. Reich

Arcane
Probably the only thing half decent about the game. Youtube is obviously shit for listening to music. Trying to figure out how to buy the FLACs or MP3s without a phone. Spotify just wants me to sign up, doesn't tell me price or what format I can download it in. How the fuck do you buy music in this day and age? I thought they would have made the process easy by now.

Try Soulseek.

Also Bandcamp if you insist on paying shekels like a good goy.

McPlusle

Savant
I decided to start the game over and go into it with as open of a mind as I possibly could. I already knew it wasn't a Doom game, so I told myself not to judge it as such, and instead see it as the arcade/arena FPS that it is. That hasn't gone well so far. I just got to the first Hell area (after repeated crashes right before going through the portal) and I'm really struggling to like much of what this game has to offer. For one, for a game proclaiming itself as "old school," it sure has an unhealthy obsession with modern AAA upgrade trees, with not one but like five fucking upgrade resources and contrived, achievement-like sidechallenges feeding into just one of them. The amount of upgrade paths and nodes feels completely bloated and unnecessary. None of the weapon mods/alt-fire modes have gotten any use out of me (outside of curiosity) aside from the shotgun explosive shell, and maybe the plasma heat burst. The movement options are pathetic compared to id's older games. No bunnyhopping? Fucking really? And the actual combat zones are shit too. They're impressively large, but since all enemies have to be killed before the exit opens, god help you if you find yourself in a massive, seemingly empty space and the only enemy left is an imp.

On the bright side, the game looks great (even on mostly low settings on my 660 Ti) and the actual shooting almost feels good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom