Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Thiaf Pre-Release Thread

MetalCraze

Arcane
Maybe some fan rendition (highly doubtful but a disclaimer so I can weasel out)

Either way looks terrible - honestly if these are true - the lighting is incredible shit. Fucking Dishonored-grade bad

SMIbAQwaL6c.jpg

XtH0GgBQAEs.jpg

tumblr_mj6t5aOqcV1qau2suo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mj6t5aOqcV1qau2suo1_1280.jpg

8IK-zFPtoE0.jpg

Yellow light, green darkness. Looks like that dump CliffyB took which he later named Unreal Engine 3

Can't wait till all my predictions come true

VlFXk7-NPyM.jpg

More like Bay of Pirates

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Graphics detail is fantastic, so is lighting quality, but the colors themselves are off. Green? Blue? Not black?

Reminds me of what they did in Thief 3 - purple instead of black shadows because the game has to be playable on TVs and low quality LCD monitors with bad black levels. This looks like the same idea.

Still, art style is nice and there is a lot of nice texture detail. Assuming that this is how the final game looks, you could likely just use SweetFX, ENB etc. to tweak the color balance around to get it how you want. Considering the quality of the Human Revolution port and the generally pretty good sensitivity to fans Eidos have shown, they might even have a way to tweak lighting, i.e. "classic mode" and "modern mode." It's also worth considering that super-dark screenshots are just that, super-dark - not necessarily good for promotional purposes.

My bigger concern is gameplay. Stealth takedowns in my Thief? :mad: Silly devs, Thief is a game about sneaking and completely avoiding enemies who will kick your ass in seconds, not clearing out levels of all threats and feeling good about yourself because you have rudimentary hand-eye coordination skills.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Source? Also don't be a graphics whore
Source - do you really need a bigger quest compass?
Graphics whore - g-whorism has nothing to do with it. The lighting in the originals was atmospheric and colourful with deep shadows. This shit looks just as bad as Double Agent which already hints at Thiaf excluding lighting from gameplay or dumbing it down to a degree where bots will be so blind they will be able to see you only in the light of torches.

sea said:
so is lighting quality
Where the fuck are shadows? In a Thief game?

lol it becomes skyrim-grade shit here
OaPmIGSXqmc.jpg

Data4

Arcane
Codex hipsters, lol. Game looks good, and I'm with sea -- the shots were probably brightened for the purposes of visibility.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Where the fuck are shadows? In a Thief game?
Everywhere? The game seems to be using a global illumination model of some kind judging by the depth, quality and accuracy of the lighting. Except the shadows themselves just aren't very dark.

As I said, this is either:

a) A change to keep the game visible on shitty TVs and LCD monitors, like Thief 3 did, or
b) A way to create nice-looking screenshots that show off lots of detail, instead of drowning it out in black.

That's not to say I think this is the right choice for Thief. I'm just saying in the grand scheme it is a smaller concern compared to gameplay changes they are likely to implement. Simple mods and tweaks can fix shadows, gameplay is not so fortunate.

Graphics look fine. Shit, most recent games look great to me. The real issue is if it's gonna have at least 30% of actual Thief left in gameplay.

MetalCraze

Arcane
As I said, this is either:

a) A change to keep the game visible on shitty TVs and LCD monitors, like Thief 3 did, or
b) A way to create nice-looking screenshots that show off lots of detail, instead of drowning it out in black.

How about
c) They dumbed down the game because kids won't see in the dark and will say dis shit sukkz giv moni bak

And if you have noticed on the screenshot above Garrett got a magical vision which shows him light sources and loot. But olololo I guess that screenshot was painted like that just to show you what you can lewt and put out for marketing purposes!11!!1!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And if you have noticed on the screenshot above Garrett got a magical vision which shows him ... loot.

Yeah, I don't think we can really expect this game to be less dumbed down than TDS.

But I assume that as in DX:HR there will be an option to switch it off.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah, I don't think we can really expect this game to be less dumbed down than TDS.
TDS will be a hardcore thief simulation compared to this POS. That game had just flashing lewt and that's it

This piece of shit will be like

"In ancient-school games of Thief you had to explore every corner to find cool stuff but that's BORING. Who would want to waste time on that?

That's why.... press X to win!"

But I assume that as in DX:HR there will be an option to switch it off.

If you will find an option in DXHR to switch off quest compass and enemy radar - page me

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Can't really muster much enthousiasm from these shots. The ones here in the OP are actually the best of the bunch. Character design just looks, dunno. Weeaboo or something. Meh.

Nothing much to be said otherwise. Like the architecture and the hanging from ropes. Glad to finally see something from this btw. I was almost starting to think there would never be another thief game.

Captain Shrek

Will probably be cover shooter. Until they clear that up negative interest. Also as Skyway noticed, it seems incredibly well copied from Dishonored in terms of the style as well as technical details. Not that it is a surprise.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
c) They dumbed down the game because kids won't see in the dark and will say dis shit sukkz giv moni bak
That is also a distinct possibility, but I really hope that's not the reason.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will probably be cover shooter. Until they clear that up negative interest. Also as Skyway noticed, it seems incredibly well copied from Dishonored in terms of the style as well as technical details. Not that it is a surprise.

Copied from Dishonored? How so?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So, low FOV and visible hands? Okay.

The whole "dark Steampunk city" thing is originally from Thief and was copied by Dishonored, so I hope you're not referring to that.

Captain Shrek

url

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom