Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Oddworld games thread

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
WTF! Only PS4 version at first?!?!...............

Well it looks great, a proper remake at least. Not some only widescreened "HD" remake. I'm gunna D1P on PC.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
WTF! Only PS4 version at first?!?!

Yeah, what the fuck :retarded:

Still, personally I don't care that much. I had a full Oddworld marathon fairly recently, and I doubt this remake has enough new stuff to warrant another playthrough this quickly.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm postponing my playthrough since I heard the remakes. I just hope PC version came before fall because after summer I won't have much time for games for a long time...
I will save'em all this time! (or die trying ...)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This looks awful. Especially the new graphixxxxxxxx, sceneless world-induced chant blocker stupidity and control scheme (assuming they also make it to the pc version). And what's up with Abe surviving that huge fall between platforms when the dude talks about one of the bugs? Hesus. Also, those new motion detectors, what the hell.

And was that Evanescence at the ending credits or something?!

lightbane

Arcane
:what: What the hell I watched? I was looking forward to play the remake to see how it hold against the original, but this video already answered my question. Jesus, it literally killed any interest I had, I was willing to give a pass to these overtly shiny lights, but fucking up the sound, the animations, the backgrounds and even the controls? Hell no (for not to mention that ending song).
Also, lol at the blatantly out-of-place ingame advertisements, it almost seems self-aware :lol::lol:

Farage

Arcane
Patron

I think Oddworld's pre-render looks too dark. Its even hard to see what the fuck is going on.
I remember playing this game for the first time and just struggling hard to understand what to do, before reading it in one of those magazines.
Nostalgia here might be a compelling factor to why this guy thinks pre-rendered is better, when it was actually a step forward into design overall that just didn't fit his personal taste.

Last edited:

Farage

Arcane
Patron
He did a very technical analysis, not a normal critic covering your typical areas. This is the kind of commentary that you would expect from a design professor about a class project or something, which is pretty nice. I can't stomach "hurr durr dis gaem sucks ass" from youtubers trying too hard anymore, it had its time, it was fun for a while, but a professional view is always interesting.
I was too lazy to watch the whole thing, he does some good critics mid part forward. But i still don't agree with the pre-render/lights part.
I mean, blame me, but the video is 37 minutes long. :|

Lios

Cipher
comrade lorne :salute:

on topic this made me want to replay the original abe's odyssey/exodus

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.egx.net/egx/news/oddworld-co-founder-lorne-lanning-presents-oddworld-soulstorm

Oddworld co-founder Lorne Lanning presents Oddworld: Soulstorm

Oddworld co-founder and Creative Director, Lorne Lanning will present an in-depth look at the studio's brand new game, Oddworld: Soulstorm, at next week's EGX.

During the session titled 'Brewing Oddworld: Soulstorm' Lorne will look at the production design and pre-production processes for the company’s next game. Lanning will discuss why Soulstorm is an evolutionary leap for the Oddworld IP and the methods the company is using to create its most ambitious game yet.

The session will take place at 1pm (BST) on Friday and those not at EGX will be able to catch the session live on Twitch and it'll be available to watch later on our YouTube channel.

We're celebrating the tenth EGX event this year and plan to make it our best ever so why not join us at the NEC in Birmingham on the 21st to 24th September. Tickets are available to purchase here.

Finally. :bounce:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
inb4 it will be a FPS about brewing (since Soulstorm was a brewery in the games)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Holy moly :what:

oh its just a remake of abe's exoddus

i confused it with one of those cancelled oddworld games that made lanning snap

nvm carry on

Not "just" a remake, but the definitive version of Exoddus with a lot of amendments that Lanning could never actualize in the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom