Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The official Double Fine thread (brought to you by J_C)

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
In fact such a guy usually needs a good producer over his head, in order to make a good game.

That's the key. When two shitty entities work together, fireworks and drama lulz usually follows. I can't imagine Kotick giving Schaffer any sort of flexible leeway that his studio obviously needs to produce results. LucasArts was probably the best thing that happened to them.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
As for Shaffer's awesome lucasarts adventures, it's obvious that a talented writer/designer doesn't make a good game studio manager. In fact such a guy usually needs a good producer over his head, in order to make a good game.
I'm not much of a fan of their recent output, but keeping a small studio alive for 15 years in the current market climate is actually fairly impressive. They even made one great game in that time.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm not much of a fan of their recent output, but keeping a small studio alive for 15 years in the current market climate is actually fairly impressive. They even made one great game in that time.
Yeah, you're right about that. Actually if it wasn't for the documentary the backlash would have been much smaller.

But it's also just that, they made ONE very good game and that was 10 years ago.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So he can go back into the game and now is getting paid by the evuul publisherz Sony making a 'gummi bears/michael bay' cross-over game.
Little heads up. Double Fine didn't make these games showed in the video. They just released it. That's their Double Fine Presents stuff.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I don't care about the rest, I reacted to this line. Fuckoff!

You're a fucking moron and probably a Double Fine plant.

Yeah but Kotick has an even shittier reputation.

Not that he was wrong about Shaffer's abysmal management skills.

I can't disagree with you on Kotick's rep, however he does make money and he is successful.

Yeah, he's a dick about it, openly talking about saying these gamers will pay for this and we have to exploit that, but that's the nature of the business.

However, he doesn't try to dress up words or anything. He has a good business model that still makes money.
And he expects everyone who works for him to either fit into this model or fuck off.
Can't blame him for that.

index.php

Arcane
The rats are leaving the sinking ship:

http://nichegamer.com/2015/10/double-fine-veteran-brad-muir-leaves-for-valve/
Brad Muir of Double Fine fame recently announced that he’ll be leaving the company this coming Friday.

So where is he ending up? He posted over on his Twitter that he will soon be joining Valve this December.

For those unaware of his work, he played a pivotal role in the companies history, from being a programmer for Psychonauts to lead designer of Brutal Legends, to becoming project lead for Iron Brigade, Brazen and most recently Massive Chalice.

It’s unknown what his next project will be with Valve, but hopefully we’ll learn soon enough.

:incloosive:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For that saying to work, there really needs to be a plural of employees leaving Double Fine at once, not just one guy.

Durwyn

Prophet
Sooo... Next panic kickstarter for damage control and funds that will let them breathe just a little longer before unevitable death and final disillusionment ?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Sooo... Next panic kickstarter for damage control and funds that will let them breathe just a little longer before unevitable death and final disillusionment ?

Figstarter, you mean.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Muir was King Rat the XXVIII. Considering MASSIVE CHALICE was the only halfway decent product they've put out in years it says a lot. Although why he'd go to Valve is beyond me unless they're making some shitty F2P strategy game.

buzz

Arcane
Working at Valve is the ultimate hipster gamedev dream. I think I recall at least one or two other big guys at Double Fine moving over there, including the lead designer of Psychonauts.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Working at Valve is the ultimate hipster gamedev dream. I think I recall at least one or two other big guys at Double Fine moving over there, including the lead designer of Psychonauts.

Valve is probably the best employer in the industry.

buzz

Arcane
Best in terms of what it gives to the employees, not in what results out of their actions. That's why it's the hipster dream, it's the job equivalent of being babysit and getting money for it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Best in terms of what it gives to the employees, not in what results out of their actions. That's why it's the hipster dream, it's the job equivalent of being babysit and getting money for it.

Yeah, you don't even have to develop games.
The last game Valve released was Dota 2. Its a free to play online game that is lining Valve's pockets just for existing.
Valve just does not have the incentive to develop anymore. They are in a position where other companies do the development for them, and they rake in the profits through their client.
Sort of like EA, really. Except EA still publishes.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Those are the fucking losers that work at Double Fine?
Yeah, it's quite strange, they look like ordinary people. I expected real game developers:
super-computer-nerd-580x348.jpeg

Jesus fucking Christ, trolls never change.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-25-lucasarts-audio-legend-jory-prum-dies-aged-just-41

Double Fine, LucasArts audio legend Jory Prum dies, aged just 41

Acclaimed game audio wizard Jory Prum has passed away, aged just 41.

jpg

Jory Prum, 1975-2016.

Prum's name may not be immediately familiar, but his work will be. His career saw him record voice over, music and orchestral scores for more than 100 games, including LucasArts' Knights of the Old Republic, Double Fine's Broken Age and Telltale's The Walking Dead.

More recently, his work can be heard in the Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango remasters. For the latter, Prum was able to retrieve the original audio for the game and, with ex-LucasArts composer Peter McConnell, record its new orchestral score.

Double Fine founder Tim Schafer broke the news of Prum's death over the weekend, after word spread that Prum had been involved in a serious motorcycle accident.

Those who knew him were "stunned and deeply saddened", Schafer added.

Prum's career began at LucasArts, and from there bridged over to Telltale Games beginning with its Tales of Monkey Island and Sam & Max series. He also worked stints with EA and Maxis for Sim City 4 and The Sims 2, and then with Double Fine for games such as Brütal Legend.

His work extended onto the big screen, too, and with his own recording studio worked on movies such as Lost in Translation, Adaptation and the Oscar-winning Pixar short For the Birds.

But Prum will be best remembered for his award-winning work with games, and for the huge number of titles his talent touched.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom