Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The official Double Fine thread (brought to you by J_C)

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
All this time Bobby Kotick was just trying to warn us.

If only we listened.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
...fucking the consumer and saying that he should be happy about it is a Double Fine specialty too. .

Could you cut the fucking bullshit about this. Nobody said that they are happy with this NOBODY. They are just not butthurt like most people and don't care.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
In all seriousness though, I honestly never thought that DF's games were that great, and had very low expectations for Broken Age. From their inception DF games have always had very quirky and imaginative settings coupled with shallow and derivative mechanics. Oddly enough, they peaked from the start with Pnauts being their best title by far and declined in quality with each release.

Schafer has also shown himself to be more of a joke with each passing year too, especially as of late with all of his tittermongering. First it was white knighting Quinn and now he's defending DF's shitty money management.

Oh well.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In all seriousness though, I honestly never thought that DF's games were that great, and had very low expectations for Broken Age. From their inception DF games have always had very quirky and imaginative settings coupled with shallow and derivative mechanics. Oddly enough, they peaked from the start with Pnauts being their best title by far and declined in quality with each release.

Schafer has also shown himself to be more of a joke with each passing year too, especially as of late with all of his tittermongering. First it was white knighting Quinn and now he's defending DF's shitty money management.

Oh well.
I can agree that DF games after Psychonauts were quite shallow regarding gameplay, but as you said, they had a quirky and imaginative setting, and even the shallow gameplay was fun for those who like these kind of games. Not on the Codex of course, because OMG you are not hardcore Codexer if you like anything but the most complex games in gaming history. I disagree that there was a decline in quality. They were quality games, just not complex games.

buzz

Arcane
Guys, don't get me wrong. I think Double Fine is a piece of shit company just as much as you do :lol:, arguably even worse. The Project Zomboid guys did have many years of "experience" with game development and the Starbound dude was member of the Terraria crew, but at least they were a relatively small company going first-step into this Early Access shit, whereas Double Fine is supposed to be a cohesive crew with a big studio and a lot more experience and manpower. What they did is inexcusable.

But having the Project Zomboid dude come and say "Early Access is not an alternative development approach" when that's literally what they've been doing since 2011 is pure :retarded:.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Oh well.
I can agree that DF games after Psychonauts were quite shallow regarding gameplay, but as you said, they had a quirky and imaginative setting, and even the shallow gameplay was fun for those who like these kind of games. Not on the Codex of course, because OMG you are not hardcore Codexer if you like anything but the most complex games in gaming history. I disagree that there was a decline in quality. They were quality games, just not complex games.

Yeah, I'm not saying that DF games were particularly bad by any means, (I had a good amount of fun with Brutal Legend and Stacking) just that it's not like the company was that amazing to begin with.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They're amazing now. Amazingly bad, that is.
:yeah:

DrowningHarvey

Scholar
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Tim Schaefer seems like a person who should never have become the top dog in a company or start one. There should always be someone between him and the cash, slapping him back in reality if he gets too enthralled by his own vision or starts cultivating a hipster lumberjack brigade inside company property.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Tim Schaefer seems like a person who should never have become the top dog in a company or start one. There should always be someone between him and the cash, slapping him back in reality if he gets too enthralled by his own vision or starts cultivating a hipster lumberjack brigade inside company property.
Contrary to popular belief, Tim is not the CFO (chief financial officer) of the company, there are finance guys at DF who advise him about the comnpanies financial state. We could see them in the documentaries. They are as much, if not more at fault as Tim.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I don't remember the name, I will check out the documentaries when I get home.

Angthoron

Arcane
Please do, since google searches seem to give no result and I'm curious, but don't have the time to check videos because my colleagues are funny people that like to set up sudden emergencies.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Apparently, Tim Schafer's skills is inversely proportional to how much budget.

After all, all that quality grass is not going to pay itself.

How can you look at Tim Schafer and not think "heroin"?
too much fat.
screen-shot-2013-07-10-at-7-50-07-pm.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Please do, since google searches seem to give no result and I'm curious, but don't have the time to check videos because my colleagues are funny people that like to set up sudden emergencies.
Well despite my best efforts, I couldn't find a specific CEO position, neither on google, linkedin or in the documentaries (I'm not on Roguey's level when it comes to stalking, sorry). But I ran into Justin Bailey's name all the time, who is the COO (chief operating officer), and it was him who was discussing finances all the time. So maybe he acts like CEO:
Justin-Bailey.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Didn't they give him the job when they realized they had fucked up and where out of money for Broken Age?

I wonder if these guys are ever under crunch time trying to reach deadlines, even if these are deadlines they imposed on themselves.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gay_C must be getting a check under the table. Watch when his Jew Tube channel covers DF's shitty games almost exclusively.

almondblight

Arcane
schafer_1.png

"Hey guys I wasted all your money! Haha LOL."
"Haha, LOL, love you Tim!"
"Haha, yeah...so anyway because we're out of money we're stopping development and releasing the alpha as the final next week."
"LOL Tim! You're so...wait...what?"

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
The one thing you can't take away from DF, without them putting it on the line first - we probably wouldn't have gotten a WL2, PoE, or D:OS.

I say that as someone who never got what I kickstarted in for, but I still recognize the groundbreaking nature of what DF accomplished.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Anthony Davis Tim did a lot of great things, but the present and future for Double Fine fills me with pessimism, I'm astounded at how they've managed to trash their own brand and goodwill of their fans (I used to be one).

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Anthony Davis Tim did a lot of great things, but the present and future for Double Fine fills me with pessimism, I'm astounded at how they've managed to trash their own brand and goodwill of their fans (I used to be one).

Indeed. Many great things.

DF still has a lot of fans as well - though no doubt they have lost some.

I am kind of a lost fan, chances are I won't buy a DF game ever again, but I will always watch with some glimmer of hope.

Another issue, Tim and DF's "jokes" are hysterical one moment, then bitterly painful later and ironic later. The sneezing money just a couple of posts is a good example.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, I never really was a fan at all. All I can say is I'm glad I never got hooked on their stuff so now I won't get disappointed.

However, I am horribly disgusted by their epic money mismanagement.
How the FUCK do you just run an operation into the ground like that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom