Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Order: 1886, the new 5 hour movie from Ready at Dawn Studios

Cazzeris

Arcanum: Of Popamole and Cinematics.

Oesophagus

Arcane
It'll hae a special unique controler:

tv-remote-clean-400x400.jpg

:troll:

Monad

Learned
So this game is going to be complete shit, but it'll probably win a ton of awards like the Last of Us. I really want to know, does anyone have any insight as to why these types of games win so many awards? What is the rationale behind it? I just can't understand it.

Cazzeris

So this game is going to be complete shit, but it'll probably win a ton of awards like the Last of Us. I really want to know, does anyone have any insight as to why these types of games win so many awards? What is the rationale behind it? I just can't understand it.

Cinematic "gameplay".

And also bribery

Monad

Learned
They can't bribe hundreds of outlets can they? I don't know why I want to understand this, but I do.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They don't bribe anyone outright, they buddy them up, give them free stuff, make keeping on their good side integral to having a job. Also most reviewers like games that are super simple and cinematic, because they're easier to get through and feel like movies for those who actually like movies more than games (which is a lot of them).

Machocruz

Arcane
You don't have to bribe anyone in the games media. They are in a compromised position to begin with. They are completely dependent on the publishers for any game news at all, and news draws readers, and readers/hits draw ad revenue. With so much competition, it's not wise to wind up late to the party because you pissed off a publisher. What a racket.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm starting to think a lot of games developers started out as aspiring movie writers/directors before they realized they didn't have enough writing skill and talent to make movies, so they chose games instead.

set

Cipher
Cinematic? Check
QTE in first 10s of gameplay footage? Check
Guns? Check

Okay guys, time to move on.
What do you know, I was right? The interview was so damningly awful it hurt to read. Talk about game companies purposefully making games now without gameplay -- I mean, it's not like games need them... or that by saying you're making a game, by the very nature of stating that, you are somehow going to make a product worth purchasing. Fuck cinematic shit. Fuck story telling. Go find another medium you fucking terrible hacks. I am completely baffled by how someone can say in a serious fucking interview about their product how unimportant the most important thing about a game is. This industry is so out of touch with reality it hurts.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm starting to think a lot of games developers started out as aspiring movie writers/directors before they realized they didn't have enough writing skill and talent to make movies, so they chose games instead.

Arrow, meet bullseye. Been saying this for years. If you sent them back in time to the 90s or late 80s, they wouldn't be able to compete. Can you imagine them coming close to even average games from Origin Systems, Bullfrog, Konami, Capcom, etc? Hell, they can't even compete with Crapcom now in terms of making actual games.

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
Cinematic? Check
QTE in first 10s of gameplay footage? Check
Guns? Check

Okay guys, time to move on.
What do you know, I was right? The interview was so damningly awful it hurt to read. Talk about game companies purposefully making games now without gameplay -- I mean, it's not like games need them... or that by saying you're making a game, by the very nature of stating that, you are somehow going to make a product worth purchasing. Fuck cinematic shit. Fuck story telling. Go find another medium you fucking terrible hacks. I am completely baffled by how someone can say in a serious fucking interview about their product how unimportant the most important thing about a game is. This industry is so out of touch with reality it hurts.
Sadly, there is a huge market for these kinds of games. Just look at how well Bioshock infinite and The Last of Us sold. Likewise, I know too many people who actually admitted to value storytelling over gameplay. I wouldnt say they are out of touch with the industry, rather than a whole new wave of gamers coming in expecting the one thing computer games have never been really that good at.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I don't think it's possible to have too little writing skill and talent to make movies. Have you seen the movies we've been getting lately? The soulless coke-vacuums who run Hollywood are incapable of judging a script's quality.

Likewise, I know too many people who actually admitted to value storytelling over gameplay
SElvEnJ.jpg

set

Cipher
A majority of those games, even the ones that have "good writing", have gameplay which is leagues beyond today's level of gameplay.

Whether gameplay or story is more important or not, gameplay does not come into existence because you wish it. Even a simple RPG like KOTOR2 has more advanced gameplay mechanics than the standard ARPG these days. The truth is story telling in games has either stagnated or degraded over the years -- not gotten any better (imitating movies is a bad way of trying to improve the 'narrative' of a game). The gameplay has fallen even harder.

VTMB for instance might have "janky" gun mechanics and melee combat, but it has intricately crafted levels and ways of play. There's what -- 9 different ways to play the game? If you think of each clan as its own method of navigating the game's 'puzzles'? Combat, stealth, dialogue -- there's gameplay in each path and that gameplay is much more varied than The Last Of Us or Bioshock infinite. Hell most levels in VTMB contain multiple entrances and exits -- things I haven't seen in a "modern" RPG in years. Even FO:NV didn't have many access/exit points for most of the quest areas, which usually is indicative of linear game design.

Jagged Alliance 2 has the barebones of a story, but goes to great lenths to make each merc reactive AND have their own personality. This merges "narrative" and "gameplay" into one and is a prime example of good design. It's certainly not a "cinematic" game either, which is a nomenclature reserved for "shitty hacks making a poorly paced overly-drawn-out movie and packaging it as a game". Most levels in VTMB are painstakingly built to convey a specific mood, to breathe life to a world -- the story itself is not important, each character you meet scarcely has an arc -- VTMB certainly isn't a "cinematic" game either - it's trying to tell a kind of story movies can't tell especially well.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
At least we can count on Total Biscuit to call out the developers on their bullshit:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I remember times when I was playing games in 640 x 480 and 20 fps. I had a lot of fun, because the games were just so goddamn good.

With today's shallow games, there's apparently nothing else to do than scrutinizing framerates and analyzing meaningless details ad infinitum.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I remember times when I was playing games in 640 x 480 and 20 fps. I had a lot of fun, because the games were just so goddamn good.

With today's shallow games, there's apparently nothing else to do than scrutinizing framerates and analyzing meaningless details ad infinitum.

Graphic whore!Should've gone 320x200 for better fps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom