Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Order: 1886, the new 5 hour movie from Ready at Dawn Studios

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I imagine the discussion between Polygon/IGN editors and Sony:

PR site: Hi there, im the editor of X, im calling out of courtesy to explain our score of the Order 1886, in the hope it doesnt damage our monetization relationship.

Sony: Hey there, thanks for the call. We know the game has problems, it went way over budget and took the better part of 5 years to develop, but we had to release it regardless. Anyways, thanks to your coverage we manage to recoup the investment in pre-orders, so no major fallout on this.

PR site: Nice to hear, about the money i mean, sad that the game had to launch in such a state. Hopefully it manages to justify a sequel sales wise.

Sony: I'm sure it will, the money i mean, sadly the game will probably end up to be this generations Lair or Heavenly sword.

PR site: Hopefully our next PS4 exclusive review will work out better.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That Kotaku review is pretty good, actually! Takes a few hints from the Vault Dweller school of reviewing. Maybe we should start using animated GIFs in our reviews, it's very effective.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Pretending they don't like QTEs and horrible cover shooters. It's almost like the review is only like that because of the outrage.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/the_order_1886_review.html

order_score.gif

:lol:

Glad to see this shit getting hammered, fuck off with your $60 steaks.

kreepr

Novice
Can't understand where some people get the 10-12 hours playtimes.
According to the YT playthrough 2h40 min are all unskippable (QTE+cutscenes).
That leaves only 3h10 min of actual gameplay, of which some can't be extended (combat). Still, for the sake of the argument, let's say that in order to accomplish almost any objective+collectible you wouldn't need more than double this gameplay time.

This would give a total of 2h40min + 6h20min = 9h.
Ok, so it makes it longer than a DVD with commentaries and extras. Perhaps that makes the developers so proud :D

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Those 10 hour times from Neogaf are from the derpderps that padded the game time by starring at walls for an hour just to make the point the game is as long as uncharted.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
If the game cost was around 30 bucks, it wouldn't have cause such a shitstorm. We need more of these, actually.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Pretending they don't like QTEs and horrible cover shooters. It's almost like the review is only like that because of the outrage.
kotaku.png

"gameplay is well-constructed and brutally intense"

Oh really?

It also had shitty stealth sections.

Perkel

Arcane

Yeah those people claiming 12h+ are the best. Game has like 3 hours of gameplay when you don't rush and they stretched it into 9 hours.
Lot of screenshots and recording same places probably

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I have a strong feeling that the reviewers are just telling everyone what they already knew now that they don't have the capacity to spin the reviews any other way. Now they have a golden opportunity to win back some lost readers and respect with a damning review on a title they help hype. No doubt making them look like daring cavalier reviewers and rogue cannons on deck all the while writing reviews that conforms to the crowds expectations.

I imagine those self same 5's and 6's would have been 8's if the play through hadn't been leaked.

pippin

I have a strong feeling that the reviewers are just telling everyone what they already knew now that they don't have the capacity to spin the reviews any other way. Now they have a golden opportunity to win back some lost readers and respect with a damning review on a title they help hype. No doubt making them look like daring cavalier reviewers and rogue cannons on deck all the while writing reviews that conforms to the crowds expectations.

I imagine those self same 5's and 6's would have been 8's if the play through hadn't been leaked.

What if we ask them again what they think of Gone Home then? :smug:

Beggar

Cipher
Bhahahaha! 5 from gamespot and 6.5 from IGN. At least this cliche driven hollywood product getting shit on it everywhere. But the reviewer said the idea is kinda good and too bad it wasn't well told. So that means few months from now we will hear about the sequel :D Pathetic, It's not that developers want to show what they made, they just do what is safe and searches what other people want in video game. Back in my days games were art, not a product. They're ruining everything :argh:

Perkel

Arcane

Watch it on youtube and tell me same again with straight face.

The Order problem is that this is story game that has shitty story. That is auto 5 in my book.

What if planescape torment would have call of duty story ? Do you think it would be even a 5 ?

Perkel

Arcane
But the reviewer said the idea is kinda good and too bad it wasn't well told. So that means few months from now we will hear about the sequel :D

Yeah it is. After Aracum probably this is the most well designed world that is at the same time interesting. I would kill for RPG in that world.
The Order has top VA, top animations, graphics and so on. Game just fails to deliver actually even mediacore story and has shitty gameplay.

And the worst is the ending. Because it is clifhanger in one of the worst ways possible.

Echo Mirage

Arcane

Watch it on youtube and tell me same again with straight face.

The Order problem is that this is story game that has shitty story. That is auto 5 in my book.

Tell you what? That the game is shitty?

You know its shitty and I know its shitty as does everyone else. But that has never stopped a reviewer trying to sell it anyway. Its just this time someone stole their thunder.

DraQ

Arcane
And Erik Kain loses more points going once again full NEUTRAL. It isn't good, but it doesn't suck. It's full of bullshit, but it has fancy graphics... the guy went from "serious journo" to making a career of not taking any staces on anything.

It's a good strategy, with the recent fad of "reviewing reviews". You can't change the numerical score later on if you took a recognizable stance.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Most people could see this game was bad from a mile away based on all the footage and interviews since its announcement. I just don't understand the level of fanboyism people go to defend an obviously shitty game.

1424359745979.jpg

1424360586422.png

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In some places the Doritos have been successfuly eaten.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/19/8062515/order-1886-playstation-4-review

There are a lot of things that The Order: 1886, a new exclusive for the PS4, does differently than its contemporaries. It has some incredibly long cut-scenes — you'll regularly go 10 minutes or more without actually pushing a button — and many of the pivotal action moments are reduced to quick time events, those dull sequences where you have to hit a specific button at just the right time in order to escape unscathed. It also doesn't have multiplayer or, really, any kind of online component. It's brutish and short, and it takes place in a cramped world that pushes you along instead of inviting you to explore its intricacies.

It's been a long time since I played a game like this. And I forgot how amazing it can be.

order_knife_fight.0.jpg

The Order takes place in a steampunk rendition of Victorian London, a world where both werewolves and the Knights of the Roundtable exist and have been fighting each other for centuries. At the outset of the game, the werewolf threat has grown, seemingly aided by a group of human rebels, and London finds itself besieged by the monsters. At the center of all of this is Sir Galahad, a centuries-old knight who finds himself pulled into a conspiracy involving everything from magic water to a young Nikola Tesla.

The story is predictable, but fun in a ridiculous, Underworld kind of way (there’s a good chance you can guess the major plot twist right now, without even playing). It's hard not to be charmed by a game where Tesla builds you futuristic electric guns in order to fight men who turn into wolves.

So much of the game is designed simply to tell you its story that, at times, The Order proceeds like an interactive movie, where you merely have to push a few buttons to keep the film rolling. Most of The Order's appeal lies in its narrative and world, and if you're not charmed by either, there isn't a lot for you here.

The focus on cut-scenes is a peculiar choice for a showcase PS4 game. The technique was prevalent during the early days of 3D, when pre-rendered sequences looked a whole lot better than in-game graphics, and gave games like Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid an unprecedented cinematic feel. And while cut-scenes have fallen out of favor as graphics improved and new storytelling techniques emerged, The Order has some of the best examples of in-game cinematics that I've ever seen — even if they can run a bit long. I never found myself looking for a way to skip past any of them.

What's most impressive about the game, though, isn't the story itself, but the world it takes place in. Steampunk Victorian London isn't the most unique setting, but The Order has such a level of depth and detail that the fictional setting feels lived in. The designers at Ready at Dawn put a good deal of effort into making a believable rendition of London, and it shows in everything from the uniforms the knights wear to the buildings you explore. Every object and place feels like it has a weight to it and a history behind it. You can pick up a newspaper on a table and read the front page, and when you get a cool new gadget or gun, you can turn it over in your hand, examining every fine detail.

The Order is arguably the best-looking console game released to date. The game is decadent in its details. I wasted nearly 20 minutes touring Tesla's lab and ogling the various half-finished projects and tools littering his workbenches. A zoom button allows you to see the details up close, and there is virtually no clutter on the screen to get in the way of the beautiful, dark scenery — not even an on-screen map. It looks so good, and so realistic, that at one point my wife walked into the room while I was playing and asked if I was watching the BBC drama Ripper Street without her.

order_hallway.0.jpg

These features are especially important because, as an action game, The Order isn't especially notable; it's fun, but in no way remarkable. When you're not watching a cut-scene, most of your time is spent in firefights, hiding behind cover. The guns have a heft to them that feels good, and you get a lot of cool weapons to mess around with, but there’s nothing here that you haven’t seen in other third-person action games.

The Order is an especially brutal game. You kill a lot of people in shootouts, but the one-on-one combat is particularly gruesome. There are moments when you have to sneak around undetected, killing guards by silently plunging a knife into their necks, and other times where you'll stab a werewolf into a bloody mess repeatedly, until it finally dies. One of the very first things you do in the game is drown someone by tapping the X button.

Outside of the traditional combat, the game's overuse of quick time events can be frustrating: some of the key moments, including the final boss battle, are reduced to mini games where you have to tap a button at a specific time. They're more about memorization than anything else. (The final battle is also nearly identical to one found in one of the game's earliest chapters.) For a game with some impressive showcase moments — you do everything from downing a giant airship to getting in a knife fight with a towering werewolf — it's disappointing that many of these moments are so passive.

But I'm able to look past much of these issues for one key reason: The Order gives me something I forgot I was even missing. Blockbuster games have been getting bigger for a long time, to the point where now virtually every new release is an open world, teeming with different places to explore and side quests to take on.

I spent much of last year on these adventures, venturing everywhere from Mordor and Sunset City, to Los Santos and a near-future Chicago, searching out every tiny detail. It sometimes could be exhausting. The overwhelming number of options in these games turned them into huge toy boxes that, in most cases, I knew I'd never actually finish. Just looking at the mini-map in Assassin's Creed: Unity made me tired.

The Order, on the other hand, is refreshingly linear. There are no branching paths to distract you from the main quest, and you will never find yourself getting lost — the levels are essentially funnels that keep pushing you in the right direction. But the action is so brisk that I didn't really mind. Likewise, much of the pre-release discussion of the game has centered around its length, with many decrying its relatively short play time of under 10 hours. But when most games ask for dozens of hours of your time, it can be nice when a game can be completed in a few sittings. The Order feels like a much bigger game boiled down to the essentials, a complete experience without any filler.

Open-world games aren't going anywhere, and I don't want them to, but The Order is proof that there's still a place for linear, cinematic gaming experiences. It may look like a modern game, but The Order is a throwback to some of the best releases from the PlayStation 2: games that didn’t need a massive world to tell a cool story. It turns out I really missed that.

The game has many problems, but it plays like one of the best games on PS2.

:d1p:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I imagine the discussion between Polygon/IGN editors and Sony:

PR site: Hi there, im the editor of X, im calling out of courtesy to explain our score of the Order 1886, in the hope it doesnt damage our monetization relationship.

Sony: Hey there, thanks for the call. We know the game has problems, it went way over budget and took the better part of 5 years to develop, but we had to release it regardless. Anyways, thanks to your coverage we manage to recoup the investment in pre-orders, so no major fallout on this.

PR site: Nice to hear, about the money i mean, sad that the game had to launch in such a state. Hopefully it manages to justify a sequel sales wise.

Sony: I'm sure it will, the money i mean, sadly the game will probably end up to be this generations Lair or Heavenly sword.

PR site: Hopefully our next PS4 exclusive review will work out better.

:lol:

Gozma

Arcane
Kinda sucks that everyone agrees with ~2009 Codex now. Also there are now thriving low-end and low-middle-end indie game pipelines. We liked this band before it was mainstream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom