Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Order: 1886, the new 5 hour movie from Ready at Dawn Studios

Echo Mirage

Arcane
bmpO5sJ.jpg

:hmmm:

223 pages of how to press buttons. My god.

omega21

Arcane
Is this a magazine page or a strategy guide? If it's a magazine page it's most likely a result of the editor going "ayy fuck we need 5 pages of content for this new game, think of something"

pippin

At the bottom it says Chapter XVI, so it should be some sort of guide or manual.

I'm not trying to defend this piece of shit but all these harsh reviews are total bullshit. Those are the very same sites and magazines that threw 9/10s, 10/10s and 11/10s at every single "cinematic experience" of the last generation, a trend that was as bad or even worse than the FMV craze of the 90s. They create a monster that completely ruined the action genre for an entire gen and now they blame this one for small length and few gameplay bits.

What a sad scapegoat this game is, I almost feel bad for the devs because if this was a Naughty Dog game it'd have tons of reviews saying this is the first killer app of the newershit.

I don't believe there's a media worse than game journalism anywhere in the world and in any field of any sort.
Theory: shit sites trying to up their game because of #gamergate and wanting to look like the good guys.

This. It's happened before, its happening again.

The Order is the allotted Two Minutes of Hate for the game reviewers. It's a game made by no-name devs who have no pull in the industry. it's a game that is undeniably crap. It has no political message or other shit to weasel out positive reviews with. It's a game that has been overhyped to death (and no one is going to point fingers because every one of them was hyping it). It will be the "fall guy" game of the year.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kuchera does it again
ic4QDrx.jpg

From the comments:

He’s exploring both viewpoints.
Its almost like he is fleshing out both arguments for the readers and trying to understand peoples points of views better.

I know its hard to accept that someone does not exist in a binary state of "I believe this and its true and thats it". I am really impressed with his ability to rise beyond the standard internet opinion.
It’s one of the reasons I’ve been a fan of Mr. Kuchera for a while now. Being able to change an opinion or even have a different opinion on the same subject based on other factors is not a bad thing at all. And some would say is also a sign of wisdom. In this case, long and short games are both good, and there is nothing wrong with favoring one over the other based on different factors.
HsvVjm4.jpg

St30UMd.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It really goes to show just how far gaming journalism has come when they're able to consider the nuances and benefits of more than one side of an opinion on such deep issues as game length. Truly, these are the intellectual masters of this modern art.
Kuchera does it again
ic4QDrx.jpg

From the comments:

He’s exploring both viewpoints.
Its almost like he is fleshing out both arguments for the readers and trying to understand peoples points of views better.

I know its hard to accept that someone does not exist in a binary state of "I believe this and its true and thats it". I am really impressed with his ability to rise beyond the standard internet opinion.
It’s one of the reasons I’ve been a fan of Mr. Kuchera for a while now. Being able to change an opinion or even have a different opinion on the same subject based on other factors is not a bad thing at all. And some would say is also a sign of wisdom. In this case, long and short games are both good, and there is nothing wrong with favoring one over the other based on different factors.
HsvVjm4.jpg

St30UMd.jpg

:martini:

Ebonsword

Arcane
I'm not trying to defend this piece of shit but all these harsh reviews are total bullshit. Those are the very same sites and magazines that threw 9/10s, 10/10s and 11/10s at every single "cinematic experience" of the last generation, a trend that was as bad or even worse than the FMV craze of the 90s. They create a monster that completely ruined the action genre for an entire gen and now they blame this one for small length and few gameplay bits.

What a sad scapegoat this game is, I almost feel bad for the devs because if this was a Naughty Dog game it'd have tons of reviews saying this is the first killer app of the newershit.

Every once in a while, game journos decide it's safe to hate a big budget title and they all pile on it as if it's the worst thing ever, even though they've all rated similar titles highly in the past.

Resident Evil 6 is a perfect example of this phenomena.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I remember reading a preview for the 2008 Alien vs. Predator game in an issue of Official Playstation Magazine NZ, and you could almost picture the precum staining the writer's pants as he was describing the game: how the demo oozed atmosphere, how the gunplay was absolutely perfect and the way the xenomorphs would circle around you and attack you terrifying, the man basically did everything short of calling it the second coming of god.

Then I read another issue a few months later that had the review for the final release for it: they gave it a six out of ten. Saying the gameplay was annoying, the enemy AI rock stupid, and the story weak.

These people are fucking vultures, they'll defend you at every turn right up until the mob's at your door, then they'll wheel around and join in with them demanding your head on a spike.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Most people could see this game was bad from a mile away based on all the footage and interviews since its announcement. I just don't understand the level of fanboyism people go to defend an obviously shitty game.

1424359745979.jpg

1424360586422.png
Too much ego. Too afraid of looking like fools. No self-awareness or reflection. And I guess for people who've never been fooled by a shitty game before, they have to see it for themselves.

Maschtervoz

Learned
[guide for retards]

THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL PAY MONEY FOR THIS :badnews:
But there is more. Someone will pay money for this because they actually encounter difficulties in pressing the buttons that flash on the screen and need to be explained how to do it properly.

That someone is the target audience for a huge chunk of the gaming industry.

:dead:

hivemind

I have been watching a stream of this shit for a while and it's not even well written, like what the fuck. If you are going to make a movie than at the very least have it be good movie.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Watched a bit of Liriks stream, it does look sexy. Shame that the gameplay is retarded even more than the Tomb Raider that was the hallmark of AAA cinematic experiences so far. Press buttons shown on screen and look at cool shit happen. Much gameplay and much skill involved. Noobz not allowed.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Watched a bit of Liriks stream, it does look sexy. Shame that the gameplay is retarded even more than the Tomb Raider that was the hallmark of AAA cinematic experiences so far. Press buttons shown on screen and look at cool shit happen. Much gameplay and much skill involved. Noobz not allowed.
Tomb Raider actually was about 20 hours long and most of that was non QTE gameplay.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tomb Raider actually was about 20 hours long and most of that was non QTE gameplay.
On rails sections were all QTE, iirc. And there's a bunch of em. And puzzles were way easy. Still, a decent "experience".
And its nowhere close to 20 hours. I think this is 80% done.
ktf8ebY.jpg

evdk

Patron
On rails sections were all QTE, iirc. And there's a bunch of em. And puzzles were way easy. Still, a decent "experience".
And its nowhere close to 20 hours. I think this is 80% done.
ktf8ebY.jpg
I guess you are better than me, because it took me 22 hours to finish and the way I remember it, after the initial "cinematic survival flee for your life" bits, it was more free roam than on the rails and the QTE frequency lessened a bit.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:lol: this is hilarious. I have a friend who was waiting for this game for the ps4 like it was the best thing evar. I'm gonna bust bust his balls over this and his stupid decision to buy the console so early. I told him to wait at least one year, but no, he just had to buy it. Now all he plays is PES2014 with super PS4 graphix :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom