Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Order: 1886, the new 5 hour movie from Ready at Dawn Studios

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this from /v/?

I can't take them seriously since they tend to lick Telltale's balls.

I've no idea whether someone from /v/ made the video, I saw it on another forum.

Machocruz

Arcane
"You can speedrun [otherwise longish game] in 30 minutes, does that make it a bad game?" is the new "RPGs were turn-based because of technical limitations." or "30fps is more cinematic."

Mike Judge was right again.

Dexter

Arcane
JMuxc3X.jpg

Machocruz

Arcane
That only makes sense if non-speedrun takes significantly longer than speedrun - which I doubt can be the case with highly cinematic, linear TPS.

It can't make sense at all. It's a false equivalence to use game A, which is, say, 15 hours but can be pared down to sub-1 hour due to hindsight, glitches, practice, etc., to justify game B being 5 hours on a normal playthrough.

The shills are trying to massage the term 'speedrun' to fit The Order playthrough in question, but that's just more b.s.

DraQ

Arcane
That only makes sense if non-speedrun takes significantly longer than speedrun - which I doubt can be the case with highly cinematic, linear TPS.

It can't make sense at all. It's a false equivalence to use game A, which is, say, 15 hours but can be pared down to sub-1 hour due to hindsight, glitches, practice, etc., to justify game B being 5 hours on a normal playthrough.

The shills are trying to massage the term 'speedrun' to fit The Order playthrough in question, but that's just more b.s.
Yep.

cfisher2833

Learned

Pretty much. I watched some of the playthrough in question and can say firsthand that the guy in no way rushed through the game. He even took fairly decent pauses at some points. The people reporting 8-10hrs are people that PLATINUMED the game--ie found every stupid collectible.

Perkel

Arcane
Who cares how long does it take to finish it ? Not every title needs to end up like first playthrough of Skyrim. For a good AAA popamole like Binary Domain or MGR it doesn't matter that you can beat them in a fairly short time. It's the replayability that makes them shine and be a good examples of TPS games.

Order could have 50 hours of gameplay and it still would be a bad game.

I love all that butthurt especially people who claim bigger =/= better in relation to The Order which needs additional 2-3 hours like air because RAD cut game in middle to sell The order 2 later and forgot that if you cut game like that first game will have shit story and won't hold on its own.

So in summary they made story based game where story fucking sucks. Which is so confusing because whole setting is actually stellar and i wish RPG based on that setting.

So in story game story sucks which means you need to look for other things like gameplay. Aaaaand this is where game completely fails.

Because most of games have shitty stories or shitty lore but because of gameplay they salvage them where in the order case gameplay is to short to salvage story.

Either way tommorow will be awesome day. Expect ton of 5 some 4 and some 6 scores.

Divinity: Original Sin
Looking at the developer's past games, well, they excel at doing short games: the portable versions of God of war games are among the shortest games i've ever played.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ready-at-dawn-the-internet-is-the-new-playground-for-bullies

Ready at Dawn: The internet is the new playground for bullies

by Ben Parfitt
Wednesday, February 18th 2015 at 3:55PM GMT

The Order: 1886 developer Ready at Dawn says that there is an uncanny 'haterade' for its upcoming PS4 title.

The game has this week been caught up in a bit of a stormover allegations that its single player campaign – which comprises the entirety of the game – is too brief to justify its £50 price. Reports suggest it can be completed in under six hours, while the studio says it could take as long as 12 hours.

“We have this uncanny 'haterade' for our game no matter what,” the game’s director Dana Jan told Develop. “People are looking for something to throw at our game, some reason to hate it. I'm excited to hear what people who have actually played the game think about it, how do they feel about the quality and the quantity? I think by and large that most people are going to be satisfied.

“I just feel like these days it's so easy to be negative and I think the internet is the new playground for bullies. Who goes out of their way to really go and say something positive, right? It takes a lot more effort to say something nice than to say something negative, and I think people are excited to jump on some bandwagon of negativity. It's just for the people who are excited for this game, I feel bad for them that they have to sit through this ecosystem that the internet has created which is full of negativity, it's really kind of gross.

“I don't think people need to go out there and be unbiased supporters of our stuff or anything either. I want them to make up their own minds about the game period. It just seems like the pendulum swings the other way so frequently. I mean, we'll see, right?”

Jan also addressed the game length concerns, arguing that value cannot be purely judged on a pounds-per-hour basis.

“I don't think you can have a discussion of quantity without quality,” the developer added. “If you pay $100 for a steak that tastes like the best steak you've ever had in your life but it's only 200 grams versus paying the same price for the worst steak you could want – but it's all-you-can-eat. There's an argument to be made that one is better than the other depending on who you are.

“Which is why for our game we targeted a very good length for the game, but it wasn't our priority. It's not something people are going to think is short. A lot of what we're hearing about is a case of it either being irresponsibly or inaccurately reported or putting the game on easy and skipping through and speed-running the game.

“The truth is, if you've played other games that are in the same genre as ours, third person shooters you're in for the same length of ride as those games, but possibly of a higher quality depending on what you're looking for.”

Ready at Dawn’s previous games include the PS3 God of War: Origins Collection, the Wii version of Okami and PSP due God of War: Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus.

That steak analogy... as if the order 1886 is a tasty meat. It's probably a bland meat that has 200 grams. Which no one would pay unless they were super hungry.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Let your product speak for itself, assholes. Oh wait, it is speaking for itself and people don't like the words that are coming out of its mouth. Accept the loss, fagits, and make an oath to do better next time. Running a hand waving campaign is shamefur dispray.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
“The truth is, if you've played other games that are in the same genre as ours, third person shooters you're in for the same length of ride as those games, but possibly of a higher quality depending on what you're looking for.”
Max Payne 3 is the closest "cinematic third-person shooter" I can think of and it was like 10-12 hours, plus a cool multiplayer. Tomb Raider was like 12-15 hours long, had shittons of stuff to find and also had multiplayer. Gears of War 3 was derpy as hell, but was long and full of cool multiplayer modes. And I won't even mention Resident Evil 6, that although mediocre was like 25 hours long and with loads of stuff to do.

So yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that.

pippin

Besides multiplayer is often a clever addition to these kind of games. You could argue that playing an arcade-y game with some friends is a much better experience than what they usually do for tps games in their single player mode.

Delterius

Arcane
“I don't think you can have a discussion of quantity without quality,” the developer added. “If you pay $100 for a steak that tastes like the best steak you've ever had in your life but it's only 200 grams versus paying the same price for the worst steak you could want – but it's all-you-can-eat. There's an argument to be made that one is better than the other depending on who you are.

What an interesting analogy. What it forgets is that there's also an argument to be made about plain good customer service, case in point.

churrasco.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
ARE YOU READY FOR BUTTHURT REVIEW THREADS ?
DO YOU HAVE IT IN YOU TO SIP YOUR FINEST WINE LISTENING TO LAMENTS OF CONSOLETARDS ?
ARE YOU READY ?

this will be fucking great. consoletards are using any kind of stretch of imagination to sell game as good but anyone who played it is sipping their wine waiting in their happening bunker.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Neogaf is melting down with its need to hype AAA but at the same time angry that the game has so little value, its wonderful to see.

Avellion

Erudite
NeoGAF are shilling this game hard.

Q: Can I remove the black bars on screen?
A: No. The Order: 1886 is presented in a 2.40:1 aspect ratio, a popular standard for feature-length films. Most modern TVs and monitors use a 16:9 (1.77:1) aspect ratio which is not wide enough to accommodate the game's display area, so the display width is changed to fit the width of your monitor while maintaining the aspect ratio, and the space not used by the monitor is blank (known in film as letterboxing). Removing the black bars is impossible as there is nothing 'behind' them.

Q: Can I skip the cutscenes?
A: No. One of the goals of The Order: 1886 is to blur the distinction between cutscenes and gameplay. Both are blended together and therefore cannot be skipped.

Q: And crucially, vitally, absolutely most importantly, how long is the game?
A: As long as it takes you to finish it.

The game has gotten its first reviews now, a 7.5 from some french magazine.

Perkel

Arcane
Neogaf is melting down with its need to hype AAA but at the same time angry that the game has so little value, its wonderful to see.

It will derail soon. If you go into spoiler thread most of people shit at game. Rightfuly so for shit story in story game.

Perkel

Arcane
And here we go:

IGN 6
EDGE 3
Polygon 5
JimSJW 6

And quote:

"Do you like movies? Do you like video games? If you answered "yes" to either of those questions, you should probably skip The Order: 1886."

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And Erik Kain loses more points going once again full NEUTRAL. It isn't good, but it doesn't suck. It's full of bullshit, but it has fancy graphics... the guy went from "serious journo" to making a career of not taking any staces on anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom