Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Politics of Vailians

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wallians being black never triggered me (there is after all very ancient and Orthodox Black country in real life) unlike Dyrwood being Yankee land and their revolutionary figure a cross of Washington (noble fighting crown) and Lincoln (fighting against slavery). Played as :obviously: Aedyrian Aristocrat so raising colonial era keep was nice even when I could only LARP rebuilding Loyal county of Jenwood or joining the Leaden key and being the Fallen Godess champion (One of my party member however became leader of this organization which was somehow satisfying). Hence while PoE was so boring to play in it was just another ren fair England under all get up same as as Cyrodil in Oblivion. Would very much prefer game being done in Old Wallia which was supposed to be Ancient Rome/Byzantium like land.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i read threads like this one and people bring up shit like Dyrwoodian hero figure being like washington or the fact that Vailians live in an archipelago and i always think to myself:

"My god these people found PoE writing interesting enough to actually memorize this shit... I imagine their brains would explode if someday one of them actually reads a proper novel instead of the drivel in RPGs"

i played PoE three times and never even knew Godlikes didn't have genitals or whatever, and I even chose Godlike as my race for all 3 playthroughs too because they're the obvious mechanical choice for a player seeking a good build.

i am accustomed to what I read being good and skipping stuff that isn't (hence skipping most if not all lore-dumps in PoE); therefore i recommend you PoE lore addicts go to the books thread on Playground and take some time to do some good reading because anyone who found PoE lore absorbing needs some MK Ultra style re-education.

#LoreShaming

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think we all absorbed everything the game threw at us on our first playthrough, as we were expecting that Obsidian writing magic to dazzle us. Surprise! The joke's on us! Anyway, I just remember general stuff and big concepts from it because I usually remember a lot easily.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Race mixing in rpgs is pretty stupid in my opinion. It seems very forced and illogical,good example is Skyrim. You are playing in the mountains yet good amount nords are niggers... the fuck. How the fuck a bunch of nords that lived in the mountain for a hundreds of years became black?! It feels like going to Hammerfell and see it populated by white Redguards. I am ok if they all have different cultures and nations,yet thy are present in another nation and culture because they are merchants,adventurers,travelers or some other reason. It is really retarded to just splash some random skin colour and call it diverse. Skin colour is not something that you throw a dice during birth and everyone is ok with it as if it is normal. It is disrespectful to all the races involved,and gives a kick to the balls of immersion.

I played Morgan Freeman Redguard in Skyrim and had an okay time slashing pathetic fur armor with my scimitars.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Race mixing in rpgs is pretty stupid in my opinion. It seems very forced and illogical,good example is Skyrim. You are playing in the mountains yet good amount nords are niggers... the fuck. How the fuck a bunch of nords that lived in the mountain for a hundreds of years became black?! It feels like going to Hammerfell and see it populated by white Redguards. I am ok if they all have different cultures and nations,yet thy are present in another nation and culture because they are merchants,adventurers,travelers or some other reason. It is really retarded to just splash some random skin colour and call it diverse. Skin colour is not something that you throw a dice during birth and everyone is ok with it as if it is normal. It is disrespectful to all the races involved,and gives a kick to the balls of immersion.

I played Morgan Freeman Redguard in Skyrim and had an okay time slashing pathetic fur armor with my scimitars.
Hmmmm....ok and?

Zibniyat

Arcane
The game's world allows for the manufacture of gods, leading to enormous philosophical contradictions and other issues, but blacks having civilisations as advanced as anyone else is somehow "wrong"? Or worse, or more important to be discussed?

No, it is not.

oscar

Arcane
Direct cultural cogpy-and-pastes tend to be quite boring. Black renaissance-conquistador-southern gentry Italians/Portuguese/Creoles was actually a pretty decent original culture. And as mentioned isn't even entirely unfamiliar with 50s-70s jazz/soul/afro-latin/funk-inspired imaginings of blacks as soulful, sassy, cultured and emotionally expressive.

I didn't even much like PoE but they were a decent idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom