Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Quest - Enhanced Edition of iOS RPG now available on PC

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is an instabuy for me the moment it hits gog, it looks increibly charming

Alchemist

Arcane
buy now its 30% discounted only 10 euro

Not anymore:(
Steam fucked up apparently, it was never meant to be 30% off:
OXtZPD7.png

I bought it day one with the 15% discount and it seems well worth it.

Cromwell

Arcane
Too bad I wanted to wait until I finished underrail before I got this but if its as good as people here say I will just drop the full price its not that expensive.

RuySan

Augur
Too bad I wanted to wait until I finished underrail before I got this but if its as good as people here say I will just drop the full price its not that expensive.

I'm not saying it isn't worth it. But now I have to choose between this and season 3 of pinball arcade, which has the lowest price it has ever been.

The game is incredibly charming and well-written. If you're asking, "is it cohesive?" I would answer yes, and more. More like frosting on a cake than honey on a brownie, mate.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I have played the game for a few hours. Here's my impressions:

The game is not very good. It makes great first impression (thanks to nostalgia factor probably), but after a while The Quest is becoming too simple and tedious. And it's not even M&M mixed with Daggerfall - to me it's more like retarded brother of those games mixed with mobile games sin - simplification. Character generation and skills are really bare bones, not matching even early M&M titles complexity. When combined with controlling only one character it become obvious that the game gives you no satisfaction when developing your character. If you want to play warrior - you just click one button, as there is no abilities to choose, no tactics to consider. Itemisation is basic, almost non-existence in terms of quantity (and quality of items). Sure, game touches the right strings, writing is charming, but if this game would be released in 1993-5 it would be considered as mediocre and boring after 2 hours. And forgotten.

Pros:
-Writing
-Music
-Old school atmosphere
-Graphics (sprites FTW!)
-Secrets

Cons:
-Character development is simple and boring
-Graphics (world is flat, houses are the same, character models are repetitive)
-Itemisation
-One man party? So much wasted potential
-Problems with automap (you only see a part of the map)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That sounds disappointing. Skills being even more basic than M&M, which is about as basic as it can get, doesn't sound very good.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Yep. But in M&M you've got some customisation due to controlling a party. Did I mention that UI has no tooltips and no explanation on how the stats are working?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you play longer you have to develop a character to survive fights and persuade people - a simple fighter doesn't work on the long run.

I have played the game for a few hours. Here's my impressions:

The game is not very good. It makes great first impression (thanks to nostalgia factor probably), but after a while The Quest is becoming too simple and tedious. And it's not even M&M mixed with Daggerfall - to me it's more like retarded brother of those games mixed with mobile games sin - simplification. Character generation and skills are really bare bones, not matching even early M&M titles complexity. When combined with controlling only one character it become obvious that the game gives you no satisfaction when developing your character. If you want to play warrior - you just click one button, as there is no abilities to choose, no tactics to consider. Itemisation is basic, almost non-existence in terms of quantity (and quality of items). Sure, game touches the right strings, writing is charming, but if this game would be released in 1993-5 it would be considered as mediocre and boring after 2 hours. And forgotten.

Pros:
-Writing
-Music
-Old school atmosphere
-Graphics (sprites FTW!)
-Secrets

Cons:
-Character development is simple and boring
-Graphics (world is flat, houses are the same, character models are repetitive)
-Itemisation
-One man party? So much wasted potential
-Problems with automap (you only see a part of the map)

It sounds like you have some serious prejudice. Party-based is a preference, not a con.

Their prior game for Pocket PC had it. Maybe that would interest you more.

When taking about turn based blobbers party based gameplay is always an adventage.

Again, from a personal perspective. I find blobbers have limited appeal. I almost never, if ever, connect with any of the characters on an emotional level. Considering the number of fans in this thread alone, I doubt one review stands against the tide of positive remarks we've had on this thread, let alone this forum.

For your credit, your review was genuine, and credible, but I think a lot of it is based on personal preference, as I'd rather have a tighter RPG experience with one lead, much like Daggerfall.

Also, most turnbased blobbers do not include the option for ranged combat, this is something new, and being able to circle strafe your enemies whilst sticking them with arrows in turnbased mode is a very satisfying experience. Likewise for spells, they can be cast from a range, and the combat is not restricted to one room, but covers multiple rooms in a turnbased fashion, both ranged and melee. To me, this is tighter and more satisfying than trying to control a party in realtime, yet even in turnbased it mimics it so well, as you are constantly dodging your opponents attacks, using simultaneous turnbased actions, and dodging out of the way, without the twitch-based reflexes required from Grimrock or EoB.

Last edited:

Rabbid

Savant
When taking about turn based blobbers party based gameplay is always an adventage.

Isn't the term "blobber" used to describe party based gameplay by definition? Calling a single guy a "blob" is redundant. No abstraction regarding party size takes place. It's just one guy acting inside the game world.

The Quest is a game with relative freedom of movement. Space is grid based and time is turn-based. It could have been a blobber, but it isn't and doesn't have to. Turn-based TES is a good description imo.

duchU

Educated
Have played it for several hours so far and I have some questions:

1. Took Ranger class but switch primary skill Repair to Pick-lock. Was it a good choice or I rather fucked it up here? Or it's rather irrelevant?
2. Is Ranger a good choice? It's a grid based game/turn based so not sure if range weapons are as good as they could be in free-movement game.
3. Is there any way to switch weapons (melee vs range) by quick swap key or something? Cos doing this via inventory is kinda annoying after some time. Enemies have tendency to run away from melee range (by one square and then they get back).
4. This game was made by 2 people from what I read so how the hell is it possible there is still no game like MM6/7 or Wizardry clon so far? I do not get it. There are plenty Grimrock clones or Baldur's Gate/Fallout perspective party based game yet not something like The Mandate of Heaven (or similar) around...

duchU said:
Have played it for several hours so far and I have some questions:

1. Took Ranger class but switch primary skill Repair to Pick-lock. Was it a good choice or I rather fucked it up here? Or it's rather irrelevant?
2. Is Ranger a good choice? It's a grid based game/turn based so not sure if range weapons are as good as they could be in free-movement game.
3. Is there any way to switch weapons (melee vs range) by quick swap key or something? Cos doing this via inventory is kinda annoying after some time. Enemies have tendency to run away from melee range (by one square and then they get back).
4. This game was made by 2 people from what I read so how the hell is it possible there is still no game like MM6/7 or Wizardry clon so far? I do not get it. There are plenty Grimrock clones or Baldur's Gate/Fallout perspective party based game yet not something like The Mandate of Heaven (or similar) around...

1. Yes. You can pay someone to repair, but not to pick locks for you.
2. Depends on build. I use healing frequently, the undead spells that leech health work fine for me, though I dual wield up close. The spells are more potent, compared to melee, though they cost mana. Especially, drain life is useful, as it's like a full restore plus 2-3 melee hits in one. I think all builds should work late game, anyway, the game seems well balanced. Undead are not the best race, BTW. They miss out on a lot of metagame quests.
3. Not that I know.
4. :australia:

duchU

Educated
One more thing. What is with spike traps? Disarm seems not work with them, there is no jumping or something. I even tried Feather potion cos it is named Levitate potion in one of the books but it only increases weight limit you can carry. Is there any way do avoid spikes if there is no other way to go? Also searched for hidden buttons etc. but have never found any in case of the several spike traps I have encountered thus far. Or maybe it's intended that player steps into it to take damage (but this would be kinda weird)?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It is damn good, I even made a review to soot here on the Codex to try to get some antention for the port but the powers that be seem not to like it

getter77

Augur
They also recently confirmed that "The Quest 2" will ostensibly be a PC developed title from the ground up as the lead----of course, that's still quite a ways out as they want to get their own expansion done up on PC first alongside the rest of the polishing patches and whatnot.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Bought the game, been playing through it on and off. I noticed that one's race affects your starting location and you receive a pre-written background explaining your motivation. Has anyone noticed any race only quests or background related events in their playthroughs? The Undead race for instance wants to find out why they're a walking abomination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom