Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Rageaholic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2) Non-derp characters, writing and atmosphere

Who's more memorable as a character, the morally complex Steve Jobs-ian visionary David Sarif or Leila Nassif (lol who was that again)?

What's more interesting, reading :obviously: emails about mass media manipulation at Picus and having innovative "conversation battles" with deeply characterized individuals, or listening to the rants of moustache-twirling "Templars"? (BY THE SKULL OF SIDON! lololol because they are TEMPLARS get it?)

Which area is more atmospheric, the majestic Upper Hengsha or the LOL FUTURE pyramid arcology (where over a thousand years of Islam have lololol disappeared within two decades with no explanation in favor of something called "The Order" because FUTURE)?

You're defending the indefensible, fool.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
no you

I like how the difference between two characters and a bunch of e-mails that have no correlation to the game is what you use to defend HR after my tirade.

oh, but I'm not. IW and HR are both really bad. HR is just the worst of them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
no you

I like how the difference between two characters and a bunch of e-mails that have no correlation to the game is what you use to defend HR after my tirade.

oh, but I'm not. IW and HR are both really bad. HR is just the worst of them.

I saw your tirade just now.

Let me guess, it's a been a long time since you played IW.

Let's set gameplay issues aside. Are you seriously arguing that IW has better writing and better characters than HR?

Do you realize this opinion makes you a laughing stock?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Do you realize this is not an argument?

IW and HR has about the same level of derpyness in story - where HR has more credible writing, IW's actually has focus-points and a theme.

Angthoron

Arcane
Bros, that's okay, chill, I'll try IW out and settle your dispute once and for all as the True Judge of Good Taste.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
IW and HR has about the same level of derpyness in story - where HR has more credible writing, IW's actually has focus-points and a theme.

To the extent that that's true, I prefer well-executed writing with many minor themes over one poorly executed overarching theme.

circ

Arcane
What's more interesting, reading :obviously: emails about mass media manipulation at Picus and having innovative "conversation battles" with deeply characterized individuals, or listening to the rants of moustache-twirling "Templars"? (BY THE SKULL OF SIDON! lololol because they are TEMPLARS get it?)
Who the fuck reads a ton of emails in a game? I can understand books in DF or something, but badly written emails that may or may not flesh out a story? What?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Who the fuck reads a ton of emails in a game? I can understand books in DF or something, but badly written emails that may or may not flesh out a story? What?

I do?

You have a point, though. One valid criticism of DX:HR's design is that the game doesn't try to give the full depth of experience to people who don't make the effort to read everything. The ebooks and emails are much more important to the storyline than books are in Elder Scrolls games, for instance.

Others might consider this a feature, though (wanna blast through the world with a minimum of exposition? go right ahead)

Angthoron

Arcane

I do?

You have a point, though. One valid criticism of DX:HR's design is that the game doesn't try to give the full depth of experience to people who don't make the effort to read everything. The ebooks and emails are much more ancillary to the storyline than books are in Elder Scrolls games, for instance.

Others might consider this a feature, though (wanna blast through the world with a minimum of exposition? go right ahead)

I found the e-mails interesting enough to read as well. Ended up influencing my gameplay too since instead of rushing through an area I'd be trying to hunt down every single terminal, hack them (no matter how difficult the hack level) and try to see what else is going on. Same with "newspapers" and the "book". Thing is, they're written well enough for me to do so. I've cringed a few times and stopped reading Dragon Age codex entries and ME codex, for one - it was just TOO much of an extra to give a fuck, while e-mails often give a cool backdrop to the story. Sneaking the police station and finding out about bent cops, cops allied with corps and cops frustrated about the other two groups, for one, was pretty cool, same with Picus terminals (though a little too heavy-handed imo).

So I'm all in favour of this type of backdrop delivery, don't want to be spoon-fed, or slowed down on consecutive replays (if any).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I found the e-mails interesting enough to read as well. Ended up influencing my gameplay too since instead of rushing through an area I'd be trying to hunt down every single terminal, hack them (no matter how difficult the hack level) and try to see what else is going on. Same with "newspapers" and the "book". Thing is, they're written well enough for me to do so. I've cringed a few times and stopped reading Dragon Age codex entries and ME codex, for one - it was just TOO much of an extra to give a fuck, while e-mails often give a cool backdrop to the story. Sneaking the police station and finding out about bent cops, cops allied with corps and cops frustrated about the other two groups, for one, was pretty cool, same with Picus terminals (though a little too heavy-handed imo).

I LARPed and used passwords whenever I could, even at the cost of earning less XP points. Saved time on hacking, and digging around in drawers, behind sofas and under desks for passwords was kind of fun.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Let's set gameplay issues aside. Are you seriously arguing that IW has better writing and better characters than HR?

Why? Because IW is considered worse than HR by the majority that never played IW but is trying to be hardcore?

It's the same shit as 6 months ago. Retards shitting on Oblivion because it was hated on Codex once but praising Skyrim.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

13907.jpg

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist

Why? Because IW is considered worse than HR by the majority that never played IW but is trying to be hardcore?

It's the same shit as 6 months ago. Retards shitting on Oblivion because it was hated on Codex once but praising Skyrim.
You're a very angry and bitter man skyway. Perhaps you would like to play Kotor seven times?

Angthoron

Arcane

You're a very angry and bitter man skyway. Perhaps you would like to play Kotor seven times?
Now now, I think you're mixing the cause and the effect here.

Also, installing DE:IW now.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
it was really close to Deus Ex.

lol

It was still a great game

Considering that you never played first two DX - sure.

Halo is also a great shooter if you never played shooters.

Even the lead designer of HR himself called DX1 boring and slow and talked about how they want to take HR into an awesome direction and here you talk about them being really close. Hardcore newfags.

Nigga I loved Deus Ex:1.

Also I played through parts of IW as well. lol it's not better than HR

Black

Arcane
His song at the beginning of this video basically says everything there's to say about Skyrim.

:salute:

After all this bullshit he goes with the typical cop-out "BUT IT'S NOT A BAD GAME!!"
Yeah, fuck him.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I heard he thinks IW is a good game, I will refuse to watch his videos from now on

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Didn't he also love Oblivion? :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom