Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Instead of creating a new thread when finding news and since we more than likely will never get a "news" function for us small community of Adventure Gamers, let's use this thread to post Adventure Game news when we find it here.

The Black Mirror III English Demo is out now.

The trailer for The Next Big Thing can be found here.

And I thought this was WAY fucking cool:

http://www.przygodoskop.pl/rzutokiem/11-03-06.htm

http://www.przygodoskop.pl/rzutokiem/11-04-05.htm

While the article is in polish, this is a awesome collection of old Adventure Game advertisements (in English). I vaguely remember some of these as a kid. Damn cool!

Teaser Trailer for Lucius. Another trailer seems to show some in game footage. That kid is fucking creepy! <3

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
PREVIEW: Lucius

The storyline spans about 20 days, with Satan giving Lucius daily instructions to kill a particular member of the household. (As you might expect, he and Lucius communicate via a Ouija board.)

WHERE THE FUCK CAN I PRE-ORDER THIS!!!!!1111

Manny

Educated
Thanks, Jaesun, for this thread.

I don't know if I want to try the demo of Black Mirror III. I haven't played the second one, but the first game was mediocre to bad regarding both the story (the ending is terrible) and the puzzles. Only thing I liked were the background graphics and the atmosphere. Have you played the demo?

I played The Journey Down and it was a nice little adventure. I like the style of the graphics and I think that the story captures the feeling, the mood, of an adventure. The puzzles were ok, but too easy for my taste. I hope that the new comercial high resolution version comes with at least a couple more interesting puzzles. Trying to contribute with this thread, here is an interview with the man behind the game: http://alternativemagazineonline.co...rn-creator-of-the-journey-down-over-the-edge/.

Finally, a link to a site that talks about a book that looks really interesting for those who like adventure games: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/book.html. The book is named The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures and it is described as "an ode to one of the oldest genres in electronic gaming. It is over 760 pages in length, covers nearly 300 games and includes a number of interviews with classic game developers. It is an expansive tome, jam packed to the brim with history, criticism, and trivia". You can find extracts from the book on the site.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks for the links to the article with the adventure game advertisements. I remember most of them from my PC Format magazine days. Come to think of it, I still own those magazines. Might be worth digging through them for some laughs someday.

Also, TOONSTRUCK! Propably one of the most underrated adventure games of the 90s. :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I too LOVED those adverts too Unkillable Cat. Awesome stuff! So many memories....

mangsy

Educated
Unkillable Cat said:
Thanks for the links to the article with the adventure game advertisements. I remember most of them from my PC Format magazine days. Come to think of it, I still own those magazines. Might be worth digging through them for some laughs someday.

Same!

Also, that Lucius game look amazing.

FaChoi

Educated
Manny said:
I don't know if I want to try the demo of Black Mirror III. I haven't played the second one, but the first game was mediocre to bad regarding both the story (the ending is terrible) and the puzzles. Only thing I liked were the background graphics and the atmosphere. Have you played the demo?

I got a demo version of BMIII watched the intro in dismay.

You apparently play as the POS whinepsafjpelffekjpkwnrv ass kid from the second game which I bought but never completed because I couldn't stand the cunt. And BMIII has him again, a bit older but seemingly no less of a douche.

The game might be good, but there is no way I'm playing as him unless it's gone all sierra on us and I can spend my time finding amusing ways to kill him off.

:x

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
AdventureGamers reviews Black Mirror III

4/5 Stars

Pros
Gorgeous artwork, well-designed inventory puzzles, and fabulous characters make this a thrilling finale to the Black Mirror series.

Cons
Lack of backstory details could confuse series newcomers; voiceovers are hit or miss; some shortcuts in character animations.

I am really hoping they might do a Trilogy pack for this series, then I might give it a try....

Wolfus

Arcane
Yeah, there will be pack with some gifts included (pen, keyring...). I am going to buy it, because we (me and my wife) are huge fans of first BM game [called "Posel Smrti" (Messenger/Harbinger of Death) in czech original] and we liked second part too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
While not really news... user http://www.youtube.com/user/laffer35 on Youtube has been doing some comparison videos featuring various Adventure game music, first played with your basic crap MIDI sound-card (Adlib), then the same theme played through the glorious Roland MT-32.

An example of The Secret of Monkey Island can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEn7XNDKwlw

The differences are really astounding, especially the Leisure Suit Larry 2 Opening Theme. The difference is like Night and Day. Enjoy!

aries202

Erudite
I have played the German demo for Black Mirror 3, and apart from that it takes like forever (5-6 minutes or more) to get into the story, I really liked the demo. The puzzles are great and well integrated into the story, you get clues as what to do (and the clues are logical and require you to think...) And the ending of the demo leaves you wanting more...

As for future adventure games, there is a new Sherlock Holmes coming out. Check Gameboomer's homepage

http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthr ... SIONS.html

edit:

As for the pre-ordering of Lucius, if you're in the US, you can usually phone or email interactcd

http://www.interactcd.com/

if or when the game will be out on disc.

Achilles

Arcane
Thanks for the wonderful music links Jaesun! God, it really brought me back, I have some great memories playing these games in my childhood.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
GOG revealing upcoming new titles and Publishers games

This gave me a rock hard boner, when I saw Lucas Arts. GOD PLEASE let them release all the old classic LA games!

7385.png

Also in that video, they revealed that the Trilogy of the Alone in The Dark is now on GOG for only 5.99!

Thanks for the pre-order link for Lucius aries202!

Your welcome Alexandros! They brought back a lot of memories for me too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
SquareEnix? Final Fantasy 7 and 8 I suppose? If they fix the hardware graphics problems with FF8 then I'd be all over that in a second.

Bubb

Barely Literate
I blindly reccomend the Black Mirror series. Ignoring the weak and unsatisfying endings( specially the silly MINDFUCK you get when you finish part 2), this is a great series and one of the best if not THE best to come out in the 2000's.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Bubb said:
I blindly reccomend the Black Mirror series. Ignoring the weak and unsatisfying endings( specially the silly MINDFUCK you get when you finish part 2), this is a great series and one of the best if not THE best to come out in the 2000's.

Yeah, after reading quite a few reviews on Black Mirror 1 and 2, It seems the flaws inherent in the first 2 games do not outweigh the overall game experience (which sadly is the standard most all adventure games suffer from currently). So I have been interested in this series. I just want them to do some Trilogy pack sale though.

EDIT:

Playable English demo's of The Next Big Thing can be found here:

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/the-ne ... thing-demo

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/demo ... /demo.html

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Black Mirror pt. 1 was unique in how unbearably boring it was but somehow managed to keep you playing until the interesting ending.

The voiceovers were also extremely bland which blended appropriately with the setting :D Have to check pt. 2 some time. Hope it doesn't have that ridiculous interface idea that there are 3 cases in the game where you have to click something twice to get more information about it, one click is not enough. (The first game had it.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom