Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Raven - new game by King Art (guys behind Book of Unwritten Tales)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Looks incline. :salute:

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It sure does look pretty (3D visuals is something most adventure studios still tend to struggle with) and I'd describe the premise as... intriguing.
Looking forward to it, for sure - TBoUT's indisputable quality reinforces my optimism about The Raven somewhat.

kaizoku

Arcane
Looks interesting and ambitious.

But damn those episodes.
On the other hand, they would be probably taking a big risk by making and releasing it in a single sitting.

Nope

Liturgist
Loved it. Bit short at around 3 hours but fun and atmospheric with a great main character.
The $10 an episode feels about right given the length.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cool, thanks. Gonna get that bundle then. But I'll just wait them to release all episodes to play, I'm not a fan of cliffhanger endings.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Took me 3 hours to finish, and I liked it. Well written, with good voice work, and a very likable main character. I found it nostalgic for an adventure game to take place (however fleetingly) on the Orient Express again. As long as the narrative does not implode in the remaining episodes, the game's worth a look for Adventure fans.

The best compliment I can give the game is that it put me in the mood to reread some of Agatha Christie's works. It really captured that mood.

Had some issues with movement that I hope is addressed in the remaining episodes.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Really enjoyed this, except for the sometimes clunky walk speed/animations/traversal (it's more of that 3D character, taking forever to turn around shit) and slowish-feeling room loads (during which you really notice the insanely chipper music). Slow paced, piles of mostly-required dialogue, logical (but easy) puzzles that mostly involve finding who to speak to next to advance things. -- but lots of respect for them keeping it as a slow/medium-paced Poirot story, it's got some of the better directed cut-scenes I've seen in awhile, and the game world felt coherent.

There appeared to be some miss-able puzzles, and dialogue, but I'm not sure they mattered in the end.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
There are two miss-able puzzles right at the beginning:

retrieving the wallet tells you more about the background of the baroness or whatever she is and reveals the connection between the professor and the jewels. Collecting the prints and button from the professor's cabin can tip you off that the guy on the roof was probably wearing a gloved uniform (which is already strongly hinted at by the weird way you run into that faceless steward after leaving the professor's cabin). They put in a nice twist by giving the doctor gloves and allowing you to ask him about them, but I really doubt that he's the Raven.

However, there aren't any more after that. Miss-able dialogue is everywhere though.

The bad guy's identity is also really predictable if you've ever so much as seen an Agatha Christie movie. They really slather on the evidence with very little in the way of red herrings -- bit of an odd decision, but it didn't really hamper my enjoyment.

Nope

Liturgist
Second episode is out now. Feels like it has less content than the first one and simpler puzzles as well.
The parts where you play the thief/thug came across as little more than an excuse to reuse older locations.
Not bad but definitely worse than the first episode.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Not bad but definitely worse than the first episode.

No, it really is bad. Textbook cash-in with a story that was apparently slapped together after chapter one was already finished. Now we know why they didn't sell the episodes one by one.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Let's see just how rushed and pointless The Raven's story can get! +M

kaizoku

Arcane
Erica vs. Memoria vs. Raven

discuss!

from what I could read here none of them was able to deliver a good P&P. Did I read it incorrectly?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"P&P"?

Raven is shit, dunno what the fuss is/was about. Haven't played Erica. Memoria is very good atmosphere-wise but the puzzles are really really easy; still recommended though.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I only played the first part, but that was the one everyone apparently enjoyed so...

I thought the writing was dull, the characters uninteresting, and the puzzles extremely simplistic (I wouldn't even call them puzzles really). It also had a fair number of bugs and the general clunkiness characteristic of shovelware adventure games. I've honestly no clue why it received such positive reviews. Maybe I just didn't "get" it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom