Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Realm Series in Dungeon Craft

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There are a series of very well done (in my opinion) of FRUA modules by the author Ray Dyer. I decided to bring these over into the Dungeon Craft engine and will eventually be an entire D&D campaign in the land west (8 of Rays modules that take place here). Player will start here at first level and gain their way to higher levels.

Currently I have the introduction to The Realm, with descriptions of the 4 areas (North South East West) as well as the first module B8 Journey to the Rock. It is fully playable (I just finished a full run-through of it this morning) and I'm fairly certain it is now 99.9% bug free.

If you would like to give this a try and provide some feedback, please do. Also if you would like to help test this module, there is a cheat in game to.... help you test (basically I give you MAJOR PH4T L00T). If you want that password and how to get the items just PM me.

There are 6 pre-made codex characters if you are too lazy to roll your own. You can play this with 1 or up to 6 characters total.

8796.jpg

8795.jpg

When you see the above screen it will ask you if you want to play Module B8. Click yes and you will begin playing that module.

I would like to hear if anyone can find any bugs in this currently. Feedback and comments suggestions as well.

***** ENGINE BUGS *******

1. If you are in a rest screen (if you see the REST option at the bottom of your screen DO NO SAVE YOUR GAME. IT WILL CRASH THE ENGINE. This is thankfully fixed now in the newer engine in BETA.

2. There is an NPC you can get, however it will attack your party when you go into combat after the first round. This again, is fixed in the latest engine.

Link to old version of B8 using the very old engine: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5nyxvz

Just unzip the archive and click on Ray Dyers The Realm.exe in the folder.

I will update this link to the NEW version once complete (it will contain 1 module with 3 adventures to play).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
P. cool but when I tried saving the game, I got a fatal error. Fucking 0.01% :x

Also the wolf my ranger tamed was attacking my party, did I do something wrong?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
P. cool but when I tried saving the game, I got a fatal error. Fucking 0.01% :x

Also the wolf my ranger tamed was attacking my party, did I do something wrong?

D: Shit I forgot to add a known engine bugs to this. Sorry about that Excidium. :(

1. When you are resting, DO NOT EVER EVER SAVE (this bug is now fixed in the new engine which I might port this over to). Just NEVER save when there is a REST option at the bottom of your screen. Any other areas are fine to save.

2. Yeah the fucking NPC will for some fucking reason attack your party. Again this is fixed in the newer engine.

Other than the above, it should all work just fine. As soon as the new version of the engine is available I might just port this to that so then the NPC and saving bugs are gone.

Hope you did enjoy it so far other than that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I did enjoy it. I was expecting just a long road of random encounters when I headed to the rock so the different paths to choose and stuff like the harpy queen or that crazy hermit were some cool surprises.

Also the ranger getting the option to befriend wild animals was really nice, shame it's bugged.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I just started. I have no experience with Dungeon Craft, is there a way to run the program in windowed mode?

Also entering the first bigger town Specularum I noticed that there is no equipment for purchase (also when beeing on the maximum character limit on a name, the display has not enough place at the equipment screen, see second screenshot - but I guess that's an engine thing, not a module one?):

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Found a typo at the beginning of the quest in the Tavern:

I guess that I wasn't able to purchase equipment in the hub area is intentional as that area isn't fully implemented yet.

Also there was a bug where a wolf wasn't attacking my party member equipped with a ranged weapon. Not sure if it was because of pathing issues (left and right of the char was 1 square-wide cover but it could have reached her through the north):

/e: played through this now. One word: moar! :) really fun little adventure, went through all three paths (the one with the ship in the desert was the most exciting imho) but now you have me craving for more!
I did like that the module recognized that I promised the rockmen I would return to them with the payment but actually didn't.
And I feel bad for slaughtering the harpy babies - would have liked an option not to do that.

mondblut

Arcane
Another gripe I have with DC is blindly ripping off the FRUA 320x200 interface for modern high resolutions.

WTF we see on these screens? Pretty much a fucking HALF of a screen is assigned to hold... six names and two columns of numbers. In the times one letter couldn't possibly be less than 5% of screen height it was acceptable... today, not so fucking much! That's so much waste of screen space it's appaling. They could introduce character portraits to go with it, could fit all of the stats at once in there, hell, they even could make a bloody viewport larger than 1/12 of the screen (wow!). Instead, we have six names and 12 numbers taking up most of the screen.

There is no point in going beyond 320x200 if you aren't planning to use it in the first place.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thank you for the feedback/bug reports/typos Angelo85!

1. Windowed mode: IIRC that is not an option yet.
2. Shop in the first town: Yes, it is not implemented yet. The player will buy equipment by starting one of the quests. It will be implimented later, but the cost of items and to ID things there will be expensive.
3. Rockmen: I will actually introduce a consequence later on if you do not pay them (on the overland map) as well as the other people you can make a promise to. ;)
4: MOAR: I have the second module almost done. I just have to add all the art asset to it.

DwarvenFood said:
Jaesun said:
Just NEVER save when there is a REST option at the bottom of your screen. Any other areas are fine to save.

What's this, the Bizarro world ?

It is odd I was the person to point out to them that this bug existed and no one reported it before. It is fixed in the .095 version of the engine. As soon as we are given the thumbs up for that version I will be moving this to that version as that is just a crazy and annoying bug.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I read on the DC web page that conversations can have an Ultima style interface. Have you tried that yet?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
oldmanpaco said:
I read on the DC web page that conversations can have an Ultima style interface. Have you tried that yet?

EDIT

As in a prompt like:

You Say? ENTER TEXT HERE

Yes. It's called password event. Such as I could do exactly like NAME JOB BYE SHRINE type of conversation of Ultima IV V. You can have the following:

You can ask a single word.

8797.png

or gold box style:

8798.png

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I take it there is no branching then? A branching dialog tree system with GB game play would be awesome.

How about item descriptions? None I assume.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You can do dialoge like this:

Code:
QUESTION LIST
 topic 1 - What is your name?
 topic 2 - What should I do?
 topic 3 - How am I doing?
 topic 4

NPC text for topic 1 - My name is Gwenno!

NPC text for topic 2 - [If player know mantra of spirituality] OM THIS BITCH!
                         |
                          -[if the above is not true, do this] Seek the mantra of Spirituality Avatar FFS!

NPC text for topic 3 - [if player is has prayed at the shine] YOU ARE AWESOME!
                         |
                          - [if the above is not true then do this if the player knows the mantra of spirituality] OM BABY!
                           |
                             -[if the above is not true do this] YOU SUCK AVATAR!

That's how the dialogue structure works. It's like a ladder chain of events which you can check for certain things (items, quests, stats, skills). You can do quite a bit with it actually.

It would be far easier to explain if you just played the module. Then you can see for yourself.

Also here is an example of complexity of building an event I am currently ripping my fucking hair out in the 2nd level of Eye of the Beholder:

at square 17, 5 when the player faces north, they see a keyhole:

Code:
[Is the player searching - if so go to next]
   [Is the player facing north - if so go to next]
       [does player NOT have quest #1 which tells me they have already unlocked the door with a key]
          [does player NOT have quest #2 which tells me they have already unlocked the door by lockpicking it]
               [* does the party have a thief - *if they do have a thief  do this next]
               |   [does the party have a silver key]
               |   [if above is true give option to open door with key or pick the lock]
               |   
               |    
                [*if they do NOT have a thief do this next]
                    [does the party have a silver key if so unlock door]
                       [if above is false event ends, the party can do nothing]

zeitgeist

Magister
mondblut said:
Another gripe I have with DC is blindly ripping off the FRUA 320x200 interface for modern high resolutions.

WTF we see on these screens? Pretty much a fucking HALF of a screen is assigned to hold... six names and two columns of numbers. In the times one letter couldn't possibly be less than 5% of screen height it was acceptable... today, not so fucking much! That's so much waste of screen space it's appaling. They could introduce character portraits to go with it, could fit all of the stats at once in there, hell, they even could make a bloody viewport larger than 1/12 of the screen (wow!). Instead, we have six names and 12 numbers taking up most of the screen.

There is no point in going beyond 320x200 if you aren't planning to use it in the first place.
Seconding all of this, but it doesn't only apply to higher resolutions, it applies even to 320x200, you can fill all that screen space with much better looking things than that.

Is the engine customizable enough to allow for creating a completely custom UI and "modern" features like right-click menus and such?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
zeitgeist said:
Is the engine customizable enough to allow for creating a completely custom UI and "modern" features like right-click menus and such?

Not currently no. The teams current objective is to do the following:

Get DC to a version 1 build that incorporates all of the functionality of FRUA. When the original author of UAF (now renamed to Dungeon Craft) abandoned it we were left with the .914 version that is currently on the website. Now a group of guys took the project of UAF back up, renamed it Dungeon Craft and are basically getting the ancient .914 version to be as close as the same as FRUA was with a version 1 release. A number of things do not work currently in .914. It still has a LOT of stuff it can do currently however. The combat is also something that needs work.

After that they will then be working on a "wish list" so to speak. So stuff like more UI customization etc.

I have played a .930 build and the combat is WAY better now, along with cool stuff like changing walls, doors, overlays and backgrounds in real time. As well as some of the functions that actually work now.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The second module: Ray's version of Module B10, Assault on Raven's Ruin is almost done. A few sneek peeks and some hilarious bugs I need to fix...

Level 1 Goblins that give SEVENTEEN THOUSAND XP!

Oops! I have the wrong picture (it's supposed to be a Hobgoblin). KILL HIM!

Choices and consequences.....

zeitgeist

Magister
Jaesun said:
Is it possible to randomize the choices to any extent? So that you don't get the exact same set on replaying or even reloading?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
zeitgeist said:
Jaesun said:
Is it possible to randomize the choices to any extent? So that you don't get the exact same set on replaying or even reloading?

Yes. Since DC does not have FRUA's event/special item/quest limitation you could literally create endless (and via via scripting) make an entire module that is based off a random roll.

Like take the option above: ...attack the man.

1. do a random roll 1 - 4 (via scripting)

result tied to:
1. You fight! Later in the game, his friends come and try to kill you, based off this roll.
2. He uses flash powder and He gets away! You then later encounter him based off this roll.
3. 1000 beholders suddenly appear and battle you!
4. Rocks fall, everybody dies!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
UPDATE TIME!

For the 1 or 2 people following this:

The Realm West now has the following:

3 modules have now been merged successfully into 1 module. Currently you can now walk on the overland map and pick between 3 modules (that are level 1 - 3) to play. So now you can play any game in any order you want!

The 3 modules are: B8 - Journey to The Rock, B10 Assault on Ravens Ruin and B12/B13 King's Festival/Queen's Harvest.

Since this project is STILL IN THE BETA STAGE, unfortunately if you have played the old module I posted in the first post, to play this new version you will have to roll all new characters. So sorry about that, but now you will have THREE adventures to play through!

So the question is, would you guys like to play this latest version with the 3 new modules or just wait for the final version (which will contain 12 modules/adventures)? I CANNOT guarantee that when I merge in another module that you might have to re-roll all new characters for that as well. I THINK I have it moving forward that you will not have to re-roll new characters as I update and add new modules. Something could come up so there is not much I can do.

I STILL would love for people to play through my latest version to find any bugs if possible.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I assume it will take several months time until you can finish up all remaining modules and polish everything?

I'd rather play the first three modules now and face a possible setback when more modules get finished instead of waiting several months to play everything at once.

I also don't mind possible bugs. Polish the shit out of the series and help *incline* the RPG world. Spread the endresult to people who think that the Mass Effect series is the pinnacle of RPGs and blow their minds!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Angelo85 said:
I assume it will take several months time until you can finish up all remaining modules and polish everything?

I have now learned how to Import a FRUA Module then "prep" it so that when I merge it into the main module it goes very fast with little or no re-editing required. So this is now a big help. However the very manual process of adding art and fixing bugs takes a long time to do however.

Angelo85 said:
I'd rather play the first three modules now and face a possible setback when more modules get finished instead of waiting several months to play everything at once.

OK when I finish this last module (B12/B13) I'll add a download for it. :) The B12/B13 module is AWESOME. It has a LOT of combat. So the 3 modules combined should take quite a while to finish and play through.

Angelo85 said:
I also don't mind possible bugs. Polish the shit out of the series and help *incline* the RPG world. Spread the endresult to people who think that the Mass Effect series is the pinnacle of RPGs and blow their minds!

:salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So... the latest version is the one linked in the OP? I'd love to play through it sometime during the next couple of days.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Crooked Bee said:
So... the latest version is the one linked in the OP? I'd love to play through it sometime during the next couple of days.

The link in the first post is still the old version. Sorry I should have made that a bit clearer.

I will update and let everyone know when the newest version is up.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I just wanted to let you know that you should keep the good work, as I, for one, am playing anything FRUA related for the first time thanks to this conversion. And its surprisingly good. Some Ogres kicked my ass but Im willing to try again.

It would be really cool to take one party on an set of epic adventures from level 1 to 20 so I will definitly be checking this thread often.

Good luck you fag ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom