Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Risen 2 Thread

Mortmal

Arcane
At least we will always have G1 & G2.

:love:

On the other hand we will only have G1 & G2. Every now and then comes a point when you want more.

Dont worry, being able to rebuy them from GOG Is sufficient for some people to get excited, likely to see those games there in a few years if not less.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The metacritic is shit. Like in the mid 60's. Not saying metacritic is a good barometer of the actual quality but what it does do is tell you how likely it is the game sold well in the 'mainstream' crowd. That is, zomg 90+++ games tend to have sold really well. So, under that assumption Risen 2 tanked with the mainstream and didn't seem to do all that much better with hardcore/longtime Gothic/RPG fans.

Nim

Augur
DS rep said that they are "overall happy with the demand" which just shows bad things must be :P. If it sold well you can bet there'd be press releases from DS everywhere and much more positive statements.

Jashiin

Arcane
I fucking hate this game. Bought it on release, played a few hours and it fully dawned on me that I WANT it to be good, want it to be like gothic 2.. or at least like the first risen. But it's not. It's shit shit shit. Ironically it's not even worth pirating. It's like that ex girlfriend you remembered as being beautiful that now has 3 horrible kids, cut her hair and has her new chins fold over her cleavage... this game is nothing but a pale shadow of past glory.

Cassidy

Arcane
DS rep said that they are "overall happy with the demand" which just shows bad things must be :P. If it sold well you can bet there'd be press releases from DS everywhere and much more positive statements.

I don't get why a company that is no financial behemoth, nor has to answer to shareholders, is willing to do the stupidest possible thing and push its franchises to compete directly with Mass Defects, Gods of War and the over-satured market of popamole console action games. Seems they are paying the price for trying to "bring the franchise to a wider audience" as much as JoWood did, if this got worse sales than Risen.

A pity really. The idea of striking for a niche and putting your mark on it seems foreign even to not so large companies in the games industry, and the way they tried to "fix" the relatively weak sales figures of the first Risen shows. Of course, if some derp articles are right soon, ironically, the consoletards, and the pctards too(like the ones buying from the RMAH) will be playing Angry Birds 4 ports...

Nim

Augur
Demo is out on steam for those who want to see for themselves how "good" this is.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Then it looks like you're required to download the entire thing and there's just some lock on it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Same story as with every other PB game for me. I run it, have some decent fun for a couple of hours then somehow never want to run it again.

The melee is really bad though, it's basically click your enemy to death type with every enemy apart from turkeys and rats requiring as many clicks as bosses in Diablo-type games. Also lol at pistol requiring MMO cooldown but not a reload. What the hell, were they simply too lazy to prepare a reloading animation? I guess it's possible as animations in this game are rather bad, I wanted to murder the ugly pirate wench whenever she appeared on the screen and started flapping her limbs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So I played the demo some last night and, yes, the melee combat is horribly stilted/reminds me more of Arcania (yes I played that for like five hours) than Risen. Hitting something has no weight/impact to it and it's just sort of a hack-hack-slash three button combo as opposed to the fluid give and take you find in Risen 1. How on earth did they fuck that up? I might just pass on this after all.

Too lazy to read thread, so I will just post uninformed question:

Does this game have the same ultra-shitty autotargeting that rendered Risen 1 nearly unplayable (ok, on XBOX which I own that one on from trashbin sales it was also largely due to the moronic keymapping)? If so, I'll sure as hell pass on this one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Does this game have the same ultra-shitty autotargeting that rendered Risen 1 nearly unplayable (ok, on XBOX which I own that one on from trashbin sales it was also largely due to the moronic keymapping)? If so, I'll sure as hell pass on this one.

You're complaining about auto targeting when playing the fucking console version?

You're complaining about auto targeting when playing the fucking console version?
Yes. Combined with the keymapping where you couldn't control the camera and fight at the same time, it made the game completely unplayable (the main issue being it works kind of iffy). It made hitting enemies completely impossible and created these situations where it would just switch targeting between two enemies forcing you to line them up in order to be able to hit or parry properly. I had hoped to hear it wasn't included in the PC version, but according to a friend of mine who played that, the PC version also has autotarget, which made me not get the PC version after confirming the console version to be completely unplayable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't remember auto targeting on the PC version. But here's a free tip: burn your Xbox.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't remember auto targeting on the PC version. But here's a free tip: burn your Xbox.
It's there (otherwise you'd be hitting air more often than not) and it's annoying when you're fighting more than one at a time because of how flimsy it is.

I tried the demo ... and felt embarrassed for Piranha Bytes.

When they obviously don't have the budget for professional animations, whose brilliant idea was it to add floating cutscenes and a kill cam.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Not where PB using a Publisher funded game model is concerned.

Bullshit/lies/r00fles is all I have to say on this matter. There's way too many retarded design decisions in Risen 2 for it to be only the publisher's fault.

PB caught the scent of popamole and decided to go with the flow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom