Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The RPGWatch?

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
The lives of your children and the sanctity of your native soil are at stake, men.

What sanctity? We have a fucking jRPG Weeaboo Discussion sub-forum, for fuck's sake.

Yeah having a subforum dedicated to actual decent RPGs is really bad. Codex should stick with kikestarter shovelwares and Russian wannabe-Fallout trashs because those are the actual RPGs that we must support.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good fucking riddance.
Way to ruin a site by allowing crybullies to rule and turning it into a ghost town. Myrthos sold his manhood to the devil. Nice job, motherfucker.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Yeah having a subforum dedicated to actual decent RPGs is really bad.

I mean, just look at this fucking abomination, look!

ffxv-176808.jpg

What the fuck is this? A boyband? No! These are the characters of this horrible abomination. Imagine if you add the open empty worlds of skirym, with weaboo-emo shit and gridding jRPG mentality. The result is this horrible monstrosity.

Modron

Arcane
While we are busy quarreling with refugees from the watch the hordes of Huns will land on our doorstep when BSN shuts down, be forever vigilant men.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Miss O'Kistic ‏@missokistic 13 May 2014

Ayn Rand, Rand Paul and Paul Ryan walk into a bar. The bartender serves them tainted alcohol because there are no regulations. They die

What kind of ignorant degenerate includes Paul Ryan with Rand Paul and Ayn Rand? Granted Rand is a far cry from his father but come on. That would be like me saying Saul Alinsky, Hillary Clinton, and Malcom X. One does not belong.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
What's really frightening about this is what the hell we're all gonna do the next time DU forgets to pay the server fees for this place.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah having a subforum dedicated to actual decent RPGs is really bad.

I mean, just look at this fucking abomination, look!

ffxv-176808.jpg

What the fuck is this? A boyband? No! These are the characters of this horrible abomination. Imagine if you add the open empty worlds of skirym, with weaboo-emo shit and gridding jRPG mentality. The result is this horrible monstrosity.
Unironically will be better RPG than any of the other releases that year.

SniperHF

Arcane
The daily backups have not been recovered, so the site has reverted back to its state from mid-July.

As someone who deals with server backups for a living, that's pretty sad. I've got more backups than I know what to do with. If the backups were the host's job the Watch should push for compensation due to breach of contract thus cementing their tier 1 status even further from their financial windfall.

If it's the Watch's fault though, :positive:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
RPGWatch - We Are Back

It took some time, but we are back again. We have lost some information though.

I have been able to restore the backup from the 17th of July. This basically means we have lost everything from that day onwards until last week Sunday when the site went off line.

I plan to restore the articles that were created in the time up to now and still need to fix a few things as not everything is running as it should, but at least we're back :)

If you want to know more details, check out the comments for this post.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/newthread.php?do=comments&f=10&ref=10&cid=35899

The last 6 weeks of Watch forums posts and over a hundred news items have been deleted for good :shittydog:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Here's the full post mortem in all its sordid detail:

Sunday the 28th of August I was made aware by people that we were sending out SPAM. I checked this, but from the information provided to me (e-mail headers) I could not trace this back to the RPGWatch server. An RPGWatch account was listed as sender, but this can be spoofed. Still, I decided to block outgoing mail for the time being, did some other stuff as well and rebooted the server.

Looking back, I should have made a backup first, as the server became unreachable after that.

There are several ways to access the server, including a serial interface, but none of them worked. So calling customer support of the provider was the only option left. That took some time, phone calls and even Twitter interactions.
Let's just say that you do not need to be very skilled to work at customer support and you certainly do not need to listen to your customer. All you need to do is hear that it is problem X and my paper says that means solution Y.

Quite a bit of frustration later the provider found out that the motherboard was defect. I mentioned to them that I'm not interested in a working server as I already has an other server I was working to get operational. All I wanted was to have the data between the 17th and the 28th. Again there was no reason to listen to me, they replaced the motherboard and in the process also re-installed the default software (Linux, Apache, etc.) on the disk, removing all other data that was on it.

There was supposed to be a job running that did a daily backup to a separate backup server and that worked as I have regularly checked that, but for whatever reason the backup server had no data on it. I don't know why that is and neither does the provider.

So, I do not know if we were hacked and that whoever hacked us made all of this happen or that it was indeed a hardware failure (which still does not explain the issue with the backup server).

When playing the backup back, I also found out that there were some tables in the database that were not correct. These are the following:
- The thumbs-up's below the posts are gone. It works now again though.
- Everything related to the CRPG analyzer is gone and the analyzer does not work either
- The configuration on the home page, which allowed you to filter the posts does not work at the moment and you will have to renew your settings once it is operational.

We are on a new server now and we are not completely done yet, but things are looking better
smiley2.gif

Here is a list of things that I know are not functioning properly yet:
- Posting a PM fails
- The background of the edit box (you use to type a message in) is colored.
- Being the first to comment on a news post gives a blank screen, but the post is made
- Filtering news on the front page is not possible
- The CRPG analyzer does not work (for those of you who knew we had one).
- Surfing via HTTPS still lists the site as insecure (The keys are ordered, hoping to get them soon).

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34174

The key point:

Everything related to the CRPG analyzer is gone

:0-13:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom