Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The RPGWatch?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Well, it seems to be down again now, unless they're selectively blocking me.

504 Gateway Time-out
nginx

Interesting story - for a major project I was working on I had to use the department cluster, which was nominally backed up on a daily basis. One day the server overheated and some of the disks were fried. I asked the sysadmin to recover my home directory and put it on another machine. It turned out all the backup tapes (this was in the steam-powered days) were blank, every one. Weekly snapshots and daily incrementals. It's not a backup unless you can restore it.

Weasel
Let's just say that you do not need to be very skilled to work at customer support and you certainly do not need to listen to your customer.
Perhaps the hosting company also moved to affirmative action SJW staffing - and in that case who is the Watch to judge?

I just pray that none of Fluent's insights were lost :negative:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Arkadia7 said:
Whew, so glad RPG Watch is back online! I had been forced to spend time over at rpg codex, and the stench is still on me…I would hate to have to get my rpg news from that cesspit…ok, check that, I guess the news section isn't so bad, but those forums they have over there are so toxic, and beyond juvenile (its like, you can feel the excess testosterone and teenage 14 years old type posturing in every other post), and just plain weird (why are there so many weirdos over there who seem to be so interested in the personal lives of rpg developers, almost like they are stalkers or something…its like, WTF??).

Anyway, excuse my little rant…(grin)

I guess some people didn't enjoy their time here. :(

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Arkadia7 said:
Whew, so glad RPG Watch is back online! I had been forced to spend time over at rpg codex, and the stench is still on me…I would hate to have to get my rpg news from that cesspit…ok, check that, I guess the news section isn't so bad, but those forums they have over there are so toxic, and beyond juvenile (its like, you can feel the excess testosterone and teenage 14 years old type posturing in every other post), and just plain weird (why are there so many weirdos over there who seem to be so interested in the personal lives of rpg developers, almost like they are stalkers or something…its like, WTF??).

Forced? How? Was there a malicious redirect at watch adress? It was your own goddamn CHOICE.

Coming to visit someone and then shitting on your host. Typical.

End rant.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Arkadia7 said:

He/she clearly liked Torment aka Ashley Fargo thread.

Weasel
I like how on some sites they think the Codex is a bunch of angry old has-beens, forever stuck in a pixelated past. On others we're a horde of 14yr-olds reeking of testosterone. Perhaps it depends on which subforums one frequents :M

But the hand of the LORD was heavy upon the wicked men of the Watch and their popamoley ways, and He destroyed their server and smote them with data loss, even unto their CRPG analyzer and the backups thereof.

Let this be a moral lesson to all Codexers. I know some of you own consoles. Take those wretched plastic boxes of sin outside and burn them now before the same faith befalls the Codex, for the LORD of incline is a jealous God and will have no false idols before Him.

Black

Arcane
Arkadia7 said:

Forced? How? Was there a malicious redirect at watch adress? It was your own goddamn CHOICE.

Coming to visit someone and then shitting on your host. Typical.

End rant.
Xir was pretty much asking for it.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
What's really frightening about this is what the hell we're all gonna do the next time DU forgets to pay the server fees for this place.

You need someone anal about not missing domain expiration dates and paying the bills on time so after too many cases of it not happening in the past, I've taken over that years ago. Shit like what Myrthos posted is unfortunately way too common with crappy hosting providers and it's every admin's worst nightmare. A good rule of thumb is to always get your backups from the offsite backup location only so that you can verify that they're indeed being made and are actually usable. Nothing's ever a certainty.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
You can follow all the best practices in the world and something can still go horribly wrong when idiots step into your equation. The only backups that I'm relatively comfortable with are those sitting on my hard drive, but it's not very practical to be downloading dozens of gigs on a daily basis. As a last resort, though, they're invaluable even if not current.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
You can follow all the best practices in the world and something can still go horribly wrong when idiots step into your equation. The only backups that I'm relatively comfortable with are those sitting on my hard drive, but it's not very practical to be downloading dozens of gigs on a daily basis. As a last resort, though, they're invaluable even if not current.

Did you just call Infinitron an idiot? damn

Is this the official position?

I was talking about Myrthos' hosting provider wiping their hard drive. :argh:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Did you just call Infinitron an idiot? damn

Is this the official position?

I was talking about Myrthos' hosting provider wiping their hard drive. :argh:
That's no reason Infinitron is not an idiot, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom