Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sales of Incline.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Also the title of the thread is misleading, its says "The Sales of Incline" yet Pillars of Eternity is there.
:butthurt:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The game actually got sold on Desura long before getting on Steam so I hope that it sold few more thousand copies there.

Everyone who owns a copy on Desura also gets a Steam key which means that most of those sales would be overlapping.
It is also somewhat important to note that the game was already featured in a bundle - a big chunk of those numbers could be coming from there as well.

Morkar Left

The potential customer market for iso-like rpgs seems to be around 300 - 400k people on Steam. With the exception of DOS which somehow managed to get 800K. Wow...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Barring any crazy discounts that shoot any of the other games up, PoE will eventually (after getting 25-33-50% discounts) climb to be the second or third highest game on the list. It's currently the most expensive of them.

Renegen

Arcane
D:OS sold twice as much as POE because it has Co-op, it's meant for 2 players while POE is meant for 1. Therefore, if POE 2 becomes an MMO, it will sell millions.

:troll:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
D:OS sold twice as much as PoE because:

• it has co-op
  • is on the market a lot longer than few months
  • was released when there was no competition at sight
  • freedumb - you can interact with teh enviroment and put buckets on your head!!!11
Taking into account the stupidity of an average gamer I would also say that the last factor was also probably the most important one.

:hearnoevil::gumpyhead:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
D:OS sold twice as much as POE because it has Co-op, it's meant for 2 players while POE is meant for 1. Therefore, if POE 2 becomes an MMO, it will sell millions.

Considering the mechanics in place in PoE you could even say they're halfway there already.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I am browsing various Kickstarter projects, here one Codex pet project:
Xenonauts
Owners: 94,510

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Obsidian lost some sales at release so that they could squeeze out an additional $15 from people who like the Infinity Engine games. There will be a price drop to make the game palpable to casuals sooner or later.

I wonder how equal the ratio of Steam Sales : Outside Sales (GoG,GG, Brick & Mortar, whatever) is between D:OS and the rest of the titles. Seems like people might opt to get D:OS on Steam simply for the ease-of-use Steam brings for starting up a co-op game, and get the rest of the titles via a less DRMy source. Then again there are a lot of sheeple out there, and people seem to love Steam for some strange reason

Kz3r0

Arcane
I wonder how equal the ratio of Steam Sales : Outside Sales (GoG,GG, Brick & Mortar, whatever) is between D:OS and the rest of the titles. Seems like people might opt to get D:OS on Steam simply for the ease-of-use Steam brings for starting up a co-op game, and get the rest of the titles via a less DRMy source. Then again there are a lot of sheeple out there, and people seem to love Steam for some strange reason
Steam is the Amazon of videogames, and nowadays almost all retail sales are just glorified Steam keys, like it or not Steam represents at least the eighty percent of overall sales and alternative channels are dwarfed by comparison.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Barring any crazy discounts that shoot any of the other games up, PoE will eventually (after getting 25-33-50% discounts) climb to be the second or third highest game on the list. It's currently the most expensive of them.
Holy speculation batman!

Steam is the Amazon of videogames, and nowadays almost all retail sales are just glorified Steam keys, like it or not Steam represents at least the eighty percent of overall sales and alternative channels are dwarfed by comparison.

I don't think I'm disputing that at all, but ok. I'm not trying to make an argument that PoE, for example, is going to upend the status quo and ultimately sell most of its lifetime sales on GoG, I'm merely speculating that a higher proportion of PoE's lifetime sales will be non-Steam sales when compared to D:OS' lifetime sales. Now, as you say, Steam rules Digital Distribution with Gaben's sweaty palms an iron fist, and they are going to get the lion's share, but PoE and D:OS are more dissimilar than the mainstream journos would like to paint them, and different demographics frequent different marketplaces.

Kz3r0

Arcane

D:OS cost was about five millions of dollars, more or less as PoE,

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

D:OS cost was about five millions of dollars, more or less as PoE,

I mean the price to buy the game, not its development budget

Kz3r0

Arcane

I don't think I'm disputing that at all, but ok. I'm not trying to make an argument that PoE, for example, is going to upend the status quo and ultimately sell most of its lifetime sales on GoG, I'm merely speculating that a higher proportion of PoE's lifetime sales will be non-Steam sales when compared to D:OS' lifetime sales. Now, as you say, Steam rules Digital Distribution with Gaben's sweaty palms an iron fist, and they are going to get the lion's share, but PoE and D:OS are more dissimilar than the mainstream journos would like to paint them, and different demographics frequent different marketplaces.
This explains Obsidian deal with the Russians, they are trying to enter into that untapped market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom