Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The sane Alpha Protocol thread

KalosKagathos

Learned
BUT MY BRO SKYWAY SAID SHIT PROTOCOL HAS A QUEST COMPASS! STUPID OBSIDIAN THEY CANT EVEN DUMB DOWN THEIR GAMES PROPERLY THE COMPASS SHOULD BE POINTING TO THE RIFLE!

praetor

Arcane
TwinkieGorilla said:
now, what i came to do was post this:

one thing which this game has that i've never seen before, and which i think is a great way to reward your character for being...awesome? are the perks. they're basically "achievements" but instead of just sitting there being pointless they enhance your character in different ways. stealthily take down 175 enemies with h2h and it enhances (i can't remember, exactly) your sneak skill ability, and so on. i think this is pretty badass.

STALKER: CoP has had this for about a year :smug:

Felix

Arcane
Killing enemies with shotgun is fun, talk about stopping power.

hoochimama

Liturgist
It seems a pistol's critical hit can go through multiple enemies, even if you're using non-lethal ammo. My headshot pierced through 2 guards' skulls, they're both supposed to still be alive.

Tails

Arbiter
TwinkieGorilla said:
really? i just played that game a few weeks ago and i don't remember this at all.
You must played it for a really short time or no at all to put such statement. Thought most of them instead of boosting your character, reward you with items, faction relationship and few other thing.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
TwinkieGorilla said:
praetor said:

really? i just played that game a few weeks ago and i don't remember this at all.
that's because you only get very very few perks for very specific choices. it's quite easy to end up getting just one throughout the whole game, and not even notice it.
nowhere near the awesome flood of perks in ap, like getting one for watching the whole broadcast during the tutorial.

Multi-headed Cow

praetor said:
TwinkieGorilla said:

one thing which this game has that i've never seen before, and which i think is a great way to reward your character for being...awesome? are the perks. they're basically "achievements" but instead of just sitting there being pointless they enhance your character in different ways. stealthily take down 175 enemies with h2h and it enhances (i can't remember, exactly) your sneak skill ability, and so on. i think this is pretty badass.

Mass Effect 1 had this for more than a year. :smug:

praetor

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
praetor said:
TwinkieGorilla said:

but Ass Effect is for faggots :smug:

Multi-headed Cow

praetor said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
praetor said:
TwinkieGorilla said:

Yet still better than Shital Shitticol. :smug:

Lexx: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Achievements

praetor

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
praetor said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
praetor said:
TwinkieGorilla said:

Yet still better than Shital Shitticol. :smug:

lolno. AP has better shooting mechanics, somewhat viable stealth (next to no ghosting, though... and quite a bit worse than pure stealth games but still..), better writing, better this better that better everything bar character animations

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
but you can't mine planet or run around empty and pointless hubs with their two or three non-story bonus quests.

Felix

Arcane
I had way more fun with AP than ME, included ME2, fucking hate blue boxes and confined levels.

After a few ini tweaks it's very smooth.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Tails said:
You must played it for a really short time or no at all to put such statement. Thought most of them instead of boosting your character, reward you with items, faction relationship and few other thing.

uh-huh.

unfortunately this has absolutely nothing to do with what i was talking about.

SuicideBunny said:
]that's because you only get very very few perks for very specific choices. it's quite easy to end up getting just one throughout the whole game, and not even notice it.
nowhere near the awesome flood of perks in ap, like getting one for watching the whole broadcast during the tutorial.

right. yes, like completing all the missions for the hunter? i'm aware of this, but i didn't realize any of these affected your character the way AP's "perks" did. but my adhd usually works like an etch-a-sketch with my memory, so whatever. anyway...are you actually making a little "my dad could beat up your dad" comment here? because...sorry to say...CoP is no more or less "good for what it is" than AP.

p.s. was disappointed with the way the game wraps up. i thought they could have used one more full area before the end-mission to wrap things up tighter. when it was done i realized i had only a couple interactions with some of the characters...and very early on in the game. i felt the pacing started decently then became rushed and too many "hey but what about--" moments were left unsatisfied.

alsoplustoo: am i really supposed to somehow feel attached to Madison after fucking her a day after i met her? what the shit?

Severian Silk

Is AP better played with KB & mouse or gamepad? I played a little bit in the past but don't remember what I used for input. Thanks.

Starwars

Arcane
I've only ever played it with keyboard and mouse but you can tell it was made with controllers in mind due to how some stuff works, like the hacking minigame.

Not sure I would ever want to give up my mouse aiming for that though.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I played kb/mouse, and everything was fine. For me, the biggest issue was some of the minigames (like hacking) which didn't seem to be controller-related so much as just plain annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom