Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The sane Alpha Protocol thread

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"bros tell me what to do with the computer hacking minigame. It's killing me. Worst Obsidian game ever. sozzy^2"

Nothing can be as SOZZY as SOZ. Trust me on this.

hoochimama

Liturgist
VentilatorOfDoom said:
ok reducing the shit, tech or sabotage? Because according to the vague descriptions only sabotage seems to help with hacking etc...

Yeah supposedly you'll want sabotage. Have yet to find any guide/site with raw numbers on how the skill makes the minigames easier though.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
hey. ok, i retract my earlier statements and admit to having been a reactionary retard and letting some of the negativity weigh my opinion a little too early. so here's my 'mini-review' after 4 missions:

* as a few have said, the game does get better as you go along. i'm not finding the A.I. to be quite as bad as has been purported, though there have been a few retard moments (the charging is a little silly) and the combat is still clunky. that said, specializing your character feels more "fun" than in similar game-systems like ME 1/2 and has a more detailed and specialized pay-off...even if at times it makes your character a little too...eh...good at things.

* there have been a few pretty nice moments which i didn't expect (including one pretty good 'lol' involving missiles), and there are quite a few ways to go about each mission...though for the most part it amounts to "in which way would you like to go through this very linear mission".

* i'm not a fan of the gimmicky dialogue system and the timing (sometimes it's a little unclear what you're choosing and with the timer i've found myself arbitrarily choosing a few things before i knew wtf was happening), though i *do* like the variety of c&c it gives.

* i've decided to keep my final verdict until i'm through with the game or if it ends up getting retarded and i just uninstall. that said, i will be buying this game. there are enough redeeming qualities to it and so far i feel like it's a much better game than ME2, which was...after all is said and done...good for what it was (wtf was it, though?).

Black Cat

Magister
@ DraQ

"Again, why do we let in lowly beasts who can't figure out the "quote" function?"

You mean, like, monster, you. :(

Mortmal

Arcane
Just got the game as well , legit copy , my first impressions are terrible, technically its not PS2 graphics , its rather pretty its similar to the hitman games , not as dated as reviewers said it to be , whatever its not a very important matter to me.

Now come biggest problems:
The screen tearing is atrocious, forcing the refresh rate to 60hz dont work, and the simple fact to enable AA in my ATI control panel made the dialogue disappear. I dont think they tested the game at all such bug is obvious since the very first minutes of the game with an ATI card. If anyone has any solutions you are welcome.

The camera angle is atrocious , its worse than NWN2 , they definitively have problem with cameras.the angle is not right the spinning speed is not right, it gives me headaches.

Another thing that makes me really believes they havent even played their own game, its the mini hack , i've never seen worse in my own gaming life !period.

T his game clearly a port from the xbox360 to the pc and it shows even more in that mini game, you have to slowly move the move the code with your mouse on the right with moving at the same time with wasd key the other code to match , its slow, time limited ,the tutorial is even wrong, you need to use space bar not right click to confirm code!!!!!
Its so infuriating, they should remove it asap in an emergency patch, maybe it get better with skill points in , its maybe a design choice who knows.. but whoever did this should be shot. And thats coming from an obsidian fan! what were they thinking ???? i d like to see one dev explanation about it .

Now theres redeeming qualities, the writing is quite good, the characters interisting , theres mutliple choices to solve missions: thats great, hidden stuff, i need to finish it to know more .

I cant advise anyone to buy it till its heavily patched, right now , its closer to a poorly executed indie project , a beta state at least on PC.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
"bros tell me what to do with the computer hacking minigame. It's killing me. Worst Obsidian game ever. sozzy^2"

Nothing can be as SOZZY as SOZ. Trust me on this.
VollyFlow.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mortmal said:
Just got the game as well , legit copy , my first impressions are terrible, technically its not PS2 graphics , its rather pretty its similar to the hitman games , not as dated as reviewers said it to be , whatever its not a very important matter to me.

Now come biggest problems:
The screen tearing is atrocious, forcing the refresh rate to 60hz dont work, and the simple fact to enable AA in my ATI control panel made the dialogue disappear. I dont think they tested the game at all such bug is obvious since the very first minutes of the game with an ATI card. If anyone has any solutions you are welcome.

The camera angle is atrocious , its worse than NWN2 , they definitively have problem with cameras.the angle is not right the spinning speed is not right, it gives me headaches.

Another thing that makes me really believes they havent even played their own game, its the mini hack , i've never seen worse in my own gaming life !period.

T his game clearly a port from the xbox360 to the pc and it shows even more in that mini game, you have to slowly move the move the code with your mouse on the right with moving at the same time with wasd key the other code to match , its slow, time limited ,the tutorial is even wrong, you need to use space bar not right click to confirm code!!!!!
Its so infuriating, they should remove it asap in an emergency patch, maybe it get better with skill points in , its maybe a design choice who knows.. but whoever did this should be shot. And thats coming from an obsidian fan! what were they thinking ???? i d like to see one dev explanation about it .

Now theres redeeming qualities, the writing is quite good, the characters interisting , theres mutliple choices to solve missions: thats great, hidden stuff, i need to finish it to know more .

I cant advise anyone to buy it till its heavily patched, right now , its closer to a poorly executed indie project , a beta state at least on PC.
Agreed. It's definately a port from consoles, since it seems to work much better on them for everything. So yea, IF you're going to buy it, you might as well buy the console version (unless you're after Kodex Kool Kredits).

Actually, I like the mini-games fairly a lot better than most (save for lockpicking), mostly because they don't feel like doing the HERP DERP. And they don't take much time at all.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Darth Roxor said:
3. ... the door doesn't close behind you. This is especially annoying when there are two routes, one is, for example, some storage cabinet with goodies, and the other is the 'main path' - you enter the 'main path' and suddenly BANG! the door closes behind you, and there's no means of opening it. What the fuck, these aren't even 'trapped' doors or ambushes or whatever. No, they're regulars doors that suddenly get sealed shut the moment you enter them. This also caused one gamebreaking bug for me today, when I entered one such door, but it turned out that I forgot to get one main objective. And I couldn't get back to it. Hohoho *reload back to safehouse*
marburg's mansion? that sucked really really hard.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SuicideBunny said:
marburg's mansion? that sucked really really hard.

Marburg's mansion and the Leningrad trainyard, although that bug was something else, after all. After I've played through the mission for the second time, I analysed it: reloading in one place caused the mission objective to be 'returned' to an area that was off-limits, since you've just left it, which meant going through the area with no reloading.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yeah, reloading is buggy. don't reload from last checkpoint if you did anything important since then.

when i played on the xbox a turret killed me while hacking a computer. reloading from last checkpoint made that computer inaccessible, killed all the interaction icons, and some other shit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
TwinkieGorilla said:
goddammit. i'm stuck in the trainyard, wtf am i missing here?

You might have run into the same bug as I did.

Are you in the area you enter after riding a crane and going through a gate? There should also be a machinegunner to the right of your starting position.

If you die and reload in this place, the objective gets bugged and all you can do is either reload to a save before you entered this area or restart the mission if you have no save.

yeah, reloading is buggy. don't reload from last checkpoint if you did anything important since then.

Reloading also does some wonky stuff with groups of enemies sometimes. Like, you enter an area, a mob swarms you, you die, reload, and they don't spawn for the second time.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Darth Roxor said:
TwinkieGorilla said:
goddammit. i'm stuck in the trainyard, wtf am i missing here?

You might have run into the same bug as I did.

Are you in the area you enter after riding a crane and going through a gate? There should also be a machinegunner to the right of your starting position.

If you die and reload in this place, the objective gets bugged and all you can do is either reload to a save before you entered this area or restart the mission if you have no save.

jesus fucking christ. :x

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
circ said:
That a serious enough bug for everyone, or does that still count as ignorable like mobs stuck trying to walk through a wall and floating in mid air.

YEAH BRO, TWO STUCK GUARDS OVER THE COURSE OF THE GAME ARE WHOLE MOBS OF ENEMIES, ALL STUCK IN WALLS, JUMPING ON THEIR HEADS AND TAKING OUT 'SHOOT ME IN THE LOUDEST WAY POSSIBLE, I WON'T DO ANYTHING' NEON SIGNS

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mob - noun.

1. A large noisy crowd, especially one that is angry and violent (a mob of a few hundred demonstrators).

2. A group of people of the same type; gang.

3. The Mafia.

4. An insulting expression meaning all the poorest and least educated people in the country.

5. A large group of sheep or cattle.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
circ said:
Mob, short for MOBILE. Mobs, several MOBILES.

what retard planet are you from? who talks this way?

anyway, no. it wasn't game-breaking, just really annoying. kinda like a disappearing car. it sucked, but i can still play the game. regardless of the bugs...(and there have been a few which are infuriating to say the least ((not being able to aim when pressed up against a wall at random)) though not as many as the threads/reviews here seem to suggest)...the game is actually more interesting than i thought was possible based on the preview vids. Thornton's a much more likable character than Shephard, as long as we're making the comparison, and better written. the interactions and how it forces you to think about the angle you're going after is probably the most interesting thing so far.

and hey...

i'll go on record as saying i like the combat more than ME by a long shot.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm playing the pc version and haven't run into a single bug, going into the second half of the game now.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
hoochimama said:
Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm playing the pc version and haven't run into a single bug, going into the second half of the game now.

just don't reload in the second part of the Moscow train-yard.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The only bug I had except enemies shooting through cover and walls was this one time when I activated my skill just as loading was over. My character was stuck and couldn't do anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom