Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The sane Alpha Protocol thread

Dionysus

Scholar
Monocause said:
That's why you shouldn't believe everything you hear. None of this is true.
But how can I believe you?!?! Is it true that lighting and walking surface don't matter when you are sneaking? I found that hard to believe.

Monocause said:
What's the real AI flaw is, for example, that the enemy quickly forgets about you. You can stealthily kill someone; his colleague notices the body and goes into the 'red status', but returns to normal after some time.
Yeah, I don't mind that. It would be nice if they called for back-up, but it's not a dedicated stealth game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Monocause said:
I think that the roof is a much better position even without the rifle

no

A hundred times no

I went to the roof with no sniper rifle and it was a giant exercise in :rage:

Before you even manage to run across the roof, wait through the goddamn stutter when enemies appear, stop the camera from skyrocketing, get Thorton across the roof again because he run away during the stutter in some strange direction and finally go down the ladder, Surkov will already be at like 25% hp, and then it's pretty much INCENDIARY GRENADE, RIGHT FLANK. FLASHBANG, LEFT FLANK. ROOM SWEEP. RUSH!!!! and pray either Surkov isn't hit by a stray shot or you don't get raepd by the enemy forces.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
dr, disable mouse smoothing in the ini. it supposedly helps with the stutter and camera bullshit.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dionysus said:
TwinkieGorilla said:
* A.I. can be incredibly dumb at times. at one point i silently took down 4 baddies in the same room, and somehow none of them noticed. but is nowhere near as retarded as some of the reviews make it seem. plenty of other beloved games like Deus Ex & GTA which have stupider A.I. than this (FO3 might have the stupidest AI i've ever seen and somehow the "journalists" never seemed to bawww about it).
How is it better than Deus Ex's AI? So far I've heard that enemies don't respond to arms fire as long as they aren't getting hit, often don't respond to corpses (you can't even move bodies?), and stop fighting you if you turn off an alarm (when they are currently engaged). The AI, and the stealth game in general sounds pretty bad.
All of the above (except body thingie, more on this later) are bullshit.

The enemies respond to the sound of gunfire often from great distances, with the more advanced types even reacting to the sound of your reloading when aware of you. The cause of this bad rep seems to be caused by a glitch that I myself have never encountered. Spotting bodies seems to be somewhat random in some ways, with takedowns giving far less spottings than other methods, but only the herpderp-tier terrorists at the start seem to be somewhat oblivious to obvious casualties. The enemies don't stop fighting when the alarm is turned off. If the alarm is turned off and they don't see you and it's nice and quiet, they'll relax eventually and return to their patrols.

But where the AI shines in comparison to, say, Deus Ex is that the enemies in general seem to fight smart. They make use of cover and grenades, and some occasionally charge you if you're trying to pick off other enemies from a distance.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Fairly nasty bug/faulty behavior:it seems the first autosave during a mission is only done after a second or so have passed since you have control of your char.

I accidentally pressed the ctrl button during that moment, exposing me to a nearby enemy right at the at the start, and the game autosaved afterwards, so whenever I reload the mission I'm already exposed and the alarm goes off, it's supposed to be a stealth mission.

Reloading back at the safehouse makes me go through a 7 minute long mission debrief again.

Edit: Actually it happens even if I stay in stealth during the beginning, and on a different map too. Could it be that whenever you reload a checkpoint you're unstealthed?

Ausir

Arcane
That's why you shouldn't believe everything you hear. None of this is true. They always respond to arms fire unless you've got a silent gun, always respond to corpses (although there is a problem here - corpses disappear after a short time. Big flaw) and they don't stop fighting you when you turn off the alarm.

They don't always respond to corpses.

But where the AI shines in comparison to, say, Deus Ex is that the enemies in general seem to fight smart. They make use of cover and grenades, and some occasionally charge you if you're trying to pick off other enemies from a distance.

Too bad they don't seem to notice grenades thrown at them.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ausir said:

They do.

Well, once in a while :?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
hoochimama said:
Edit: Actually it happens even if I stay in stealth during the beginning, and on a different map too. Could it be that whenever you reload a checkpoint you're unstealthed?
Yes.

For me the only map it's been a problem on is the "bug the airfield" mission.

The AI+grenades is volatile, sometimes it will dodge them perfectly, sometimes it will ignore them, and other times it will actually dodge closer to the grenade. Grenades become useless towards the end I find however, even if I used overclock(+50% damage) I can't even oneshot someone. That's pretty bad considering a tranquillizer pistol shot can do it just fine if it's a critical hit in the head.

My main gripe with the AI is how utterly discrepant it is, when it is non-alert it is basically blind, but as soon as it goes alert(yellow or red) it gains psychic powers. Using the sound generator for example, sounds good, create a sound anywhere and distract the guards. Problem is the sound will make them alert(yellow) and they will then be able to hear you sneaking a mile(or to be more realistic, an entire room) away, even if you regularly can stealth up right behind them with no problem. In combat it is good though, constantly flushing with grenades, flanking, charging etc.

Monocause

Arcane
Ausir said:

Perhaps the corpse you saw them ignore had already disappeared by the time they got nearby? Or did you see the corpse and them ignoring it?
Really curious, didn't happen to me even once. Often I wished it would.

Ausir

Arcane
For example, when using a sniper rifle in one mission, I shot one guard, and the guard next to him didn't even move.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
sniper rifles are silenced, and enemies only react to dropping bodies if those happen to freak out and fire their weapons (as it happens with a bad traq shot), or fall in their sight range, because apparently bodies falling do not make sound.

on the other hand, elites on blue will react to you as much as reloading your weapon when somehow near.

Black Cat

Magister
@ TwinkieGorilla

"what retard planet are you from? who talks this way?"

That's standard CRPG terminology, though it is more popular in multiplayer circles and single player dungeon crawling circles than in single player storyfag ones. I believe it originated from those MUD thingies but that's kind of theorycrafting since they are way before my time.

"A mob, pronounced English pronunciation: /ˈmoʊb/,[1] is a computer-controlled non-player character (NPC) or monster in a computer game such as a role-playing video game, MMORPG[2] or MUD.[1][3][4] Depending on context, all such characters in a game may be considered "mobs",[1][3] or usage may be limited to hostile NPCs and/or NPCs vulnerable to attack.[2]"

It is such an uncommon and unimportant term that it has its own wikipedia article, what about makes it several orders of magnitude more notable and current than the RPGCodex is. :dirty combat:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Trash said:
Dark Individual said:
There's no save function, right?

Wrong.
speaking of which, it seems that reloading from a save made with "save last checkpoint" is less buggy than reloading from a checkpoint autosave.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
bros, since you rpg experts seem to be pretty adapt at shooting stuff in vidya games: here's my question:

- i'm in moscow
- i'm in the embassy
- i have to meet surkov in the yard
- my char is stealth based, with only 3 dots in pistols/rifles
- after lots of efforts to solve the mission in a steathy manner I now have to *protect* surkov against an onslaught of pretty strong enemies that's possible in onyl one way: heavy heavy shooting
- if he dies I have to reload
- after 10sec into the fight either me or him is dead
- everything happens so fast it boggles the mind

What can I do? Start the mission anew and kill Sulkov so that I don't have to protect him afterwards?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THIS MOPB IS A TOTAL MOB I PLAYED MOB YESTERDAY AND GOT MY MOB OUT TO FUCK UP SOM MOB

Monocause

Arcane
Did you purchase the sniper rifle drop? If so, there's a sniper rifle on the roof which was an alternate way to the embassy. IIRC you can access it from the pre-shootout checkpoint, look for a door on the second floor.

If you didn't purchase the rifle, considering your point distribution you're screwed. I recommend you reload at the safehouse and buy it. The sniper rifle makes protecting Surkov quite easy.

I wonder if there's an alternate way to end this mission. If not, that's a big hiccup on Obsidian's fault. It's not realistically doable for a stealth-oriented character, even with an unhealthy amount of reloads.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
VentilatorOfDoom said:
bros, since you rpg experts seem to be pretty adapt at shooting stuff in vidya games: here's my question:

- i'm in moscow
- i'm in the embassy
- after lots of efforts to solve the mission in a steathy manner I now have to *protect* surkov against an onslaught of pretty strong enemies that's possible in onyl one way: heavy heavy shooting

What can I do? Start the mission anew and kill Sulkov so that I don't have to protect him afterwards?

Did you buy all the intel and stuff? Back up, go up the stairs, take the door to the roof, walk to the edge of the roof, pick up the sniper rifle that's hopefully there, snipe all the baddies. Done.

edit: depending on your stealth-skill you can thin the ranks by going invisible and sneakattack 4-5 of them. Depending on how much they hit surkov while you're not attacking it might just work.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
MONEY OVER BITCHES BRO!!!!

M.O.B. 327 up, 91 down
buy m.o.b. mugs, tshirts and magnetsMoney Over Bitches/Member Of Bloods

The late Tupac Shakur defined the fraze M.O.B to mean 'money of bitches', although this definition had a meaning of its own, what tupac actually ment when he said it was that he was now MOB related, i.e, a Member Of Bloods. The Bloods are a west LA street gang.

Therefore the fraze is actually a clever double meaning.

Some rappers still use the fraze 'MOB' to mean Tupacs defined meaning 'Money Over Bitches' without knowing what he was truly implying.
"M.O.B., nigga 'cause we mob on you tricks" - Tupac Shakur

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
VentilatorOfDoom said:

- i'm in moscow
- i'm in the embassy

I turned on my invisible mode and stealth-killed all of them...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Monocause said:
Did you purchase the sniper rifle drop? If so, there's a sniper rifle on the roof which was an alternate way to the embassy. IIRC you can access it from the pre-shootout checkpoint, look for a door on the second floor.

If you didn't purchase the rifle, considering your point distribution you're screwed. I recommend you reload at the safehouse and buy it. The sniper rifle makes protecting Surkov quite easy.

I wonder if there's an alternate way to end this mission. If not, that's a big hiccup on Obsidian's fault. It's not realistically doable for a stealth-oriented character, even with an unhealthy amount of reloads.

more details please, I bought everything available.
You say after I was on the bottom floor recieving the protect surkov assigment I can instead of going into the yard go up all floors and shoot from the roof?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Dionysus said:
How is it better than Deus Ex's AI? So far I've heard that enemies don't respond to arms fire as long as they aren't getting hit, often don't respond to corpses (you can't even move bodies?), and stop fighting you if you turn off an alarm (when they are currently engaged). The AI, and the stealth game in general sounds pretty bad.

oh. ok.

so you've "heard" this. huh. see...where i come from...actually finding something out for yourself is the best way to obtain knowledge. what you've heard is complete fucking bullshit. either that, or i'm playing a different game than the one which you've "heard" about.

Ausir said:

and your mom doesn't always cum when i fuck her up the ass. your point? nothing's perfect. but more often than not, yes...they respond. sometimes frustratingly so.

again...bullshit. i actually watched a dude do a somersault out of the way of a grenade. sometimes they don't notice, more often than not in my experience...they do.

Ausir said:
For example, when using a sniper rifle in one mission, I shot one guard, and the guard next to him didn't even move.

and, for example, in one mission i shot one guard with a sniper rifle and every other guard came running in.

Black Cat said:
It is such an uncommon and unimportant term that it has its own wikipedia article

oh noes! i've been out-nerded!!!1

now, what i came to do was post this:

one thing which this game has that i've never seen before, and which i think is a great way to reward your character for being...awesome? are the perks. they're basically "achievements" but instead of just sitting there being pointless they enhance your character in different ways. stealthily take down 175 enemies with h2h and it enhances (i can't remember, exactly) your sneak skill ability, and so on. i think this is pretty badass.

Monocause

Arcane
@VoD:

No no no no. Go back to the lobby and move up the stairs. You can't go farther up because the magic doors are already locked. Check all the doors that you can open and you'll find one that leads to the roof. You can also check the map for doors that lead outside of the embassy, there should be two of them - one leading to the courtyard and the other one to the roof.

It isn't the roof of the embassy per se, it's the roof of one of the lower wings.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
thanks bro, it was a cakewalk with the sniper rifle. but it was a bit ... unintuitive, going back into the building and up the roof instead of going out of the door where surkov needed protection...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom