Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Loriac

Arcane
I got into this game last year for a few weeks (Steam claims I racked up 219 hours) and its one of the best MMOs I've ever played (has to be said that Funcom do know what they're doing in this space, I recall Anarchy Online was superb back in the day too). It plays more like a single player game when you're levelling up, but I never really got into the higher level / endgame raiding type stuff so not sure what thats like.

The controls are a bit fiddly - I ended up buying a 12-button gaming mouse for this game - but once you get used to them its got quite nice character building and combat options.

I think I will try to get back into it at some point soon and check out the new content based on what you guys are saying about it in this thread.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
If anyone needs a trial key, send me a message. I can always summon up a few.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The expansion is 50% off now. I was kind of hoping for a golden weekend points sale so I could just buy all the new stuff but I guess this will do. :takemymoney:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The expansion is 50% off now. I was kind of hoping for a golden weekend points sale so I could just buy all the new stuff but I guess this will do. :takemymoney:

The Fear Nothing Foundation is waiting for your contribution.

r870d5.jpg

Bonus video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms9DRb59zeY

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
My eyes were scorched by Oblibians, I assumed this is a shared experience - pardon.

TSW has that thingie with different ambience and lighting depending on locations - so the bloom only appears in specific places (like the FNF - lots of soft light). Or maybe it's just my eyes.

This doesn't have bloom, see?

wtsy1t.jpg

BTW - I'm running SweetFX.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
If only the engine wasn't such a piece of unoptimized crap...
Yeah, both AoC and TSW are not only power hungry, but they also have a specific taste for hardware.

But if bugs, instability etc. stopped me from playing games - I wouldn't play the best games ever.

Gord

Arcane
So, any tips on a non-sucky soloing build?
Anything in particular to avoid?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Anything in particular to avoid?
Try to stack up to three passive healing abilities and get one major talisman for healing to buff them up. Go assault rifle, there is an active skill that heal you when you shoot, mediocre damage but really good when you want to get out of a bad situation. I have a blade/AR build, got a blade passive that each eight attack is guaranted to be a penetration hit, hit the enemy with seven attacks then hit with a channeled blade attack, enemies melt under penetration hits.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
AR is good for sub-100 pings. For higher latencies, run Blade/Hammer and rely on pre-built resources to two-shot trash mobs and the Breakdown passive to turn longer fights around.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
When the game came out, I went for a blade/assault rifle build and soloed the entire campaign. It was low-dps, but kinda tanky. It went something like this:

http://www.tsw-builder.com/#91v100172144106952902950p951332353403721101421

Since a long time I'm soloing with blade/chaos - more aoe oriented and based on healing procs (no active heals), so you just dps and CC:

http://www.tsw-builder.com/#15v550170144522106133113p332421536721110310353

For starters it's good to go with tanking weapon (Hammer, Sword) and a healing weapon (Fist, AR) - you need the most effective and straightforward active skills. After you get closer to 100% you can basically go with anything you want.

Melee weapons buff themselves to 5 resources and stay like that when you're out of combat, so you can do some nasty stuff like Bubbles mentioned - start with 2 consumers (then you can pop aoe stun or evade buff and build resources while mobs can't do shit).

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pay attention to what you're doing. The game is easy enough at the beginning to get away with anything, but there is a curve. If something isn't working, stop spending points on it. You can't ruin your character; just start spending points on something that works instead. Watch for synergies (e.g. an attack that causes Bleeding and another attack that does extra damage vs. Bleeding targets). You can use passive abilities from any weapon type without having that weapon type equipped (I didn't learn this until about 40 hours of play), which makes for some great synergies.

Above all, focus on making a build you find fun as the combat gameplay is very repetitive.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After second map game becomes harder and figts become boring (many moths...) thats where some builds starts to crumble.
That's the point where I gave up the game. I loved the story, the atmosphere, the puzzles, but those fights with the moths were getting on my nerves.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After second map game becomes harder and figts become boring (many moths...) thats where some builds starts to crumble.
That's the point where I gave up the game. I loved the story, the atmosphere, the puzzles, but those fights with the moths were getting on my nerves.
Fucking Black Goat Woods.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I found this game very challenging. Only group mobs are weak, all the rest is usually tough - the either take long to kill, have nasty attacks, become immortal if x, backlash against dots/CC or everything at once. I actually felt respect to most of the game mobs.

Anyway, it's best to avoid combat whenever you can.

I'm a storyfag, so I sticked to the end - the story becomes completely lovecraftastic in Transylvania and I'm basically having a brainboner since 2012.

EDIT: Ak'ab sort men from boys ;)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Can anyone comment on this image? I've seen it floating around, but I never got past Egypt myself.

V0wR9OW.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What killed me is that you have to travel back and forth a lot on the 2nd map on moth territory, and they have attacks which make's you slow down. So I couldn't even avoid combat, because they caught up with me. Anyway, I'm planning to give a game another go, this time with a better build somewhere in the future.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Just like...avoid the northern woods in Savage Coast until you have gotten some better gear. The difficulty curve is a bit stupid because the Hotel and the Woods are the first things you see in that area, and they are some of the hardest.

Would recommend the Lighthouse as a better place to start in Savage Coast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom