Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Cromwell

Arcane
Only played solo most of the time, I think the content gets rather trivial if you do it in groups. I remember a puzzle in egypt where I had to hopp on symbols to for,m some burning occult symbol which was annoying as fuck while someone other did it at the same time and kept resetting the damn thing since the game thought I do it wrong. Other players are an annoyance (except for raids of course)

Norfleet

Enough about the signets. They're optional power-ups you have to farm for. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about them, no explanation will.
I'm not really sure I'd call what seems to be the entire purpose of the game, to acquire these things in mass quantities, to be "optional".

Mission packs etc. are only purchasable with real money. In general they are cheap as hell for the number of entertainment hours they will provide. Same goes for the main game.
Are they required for these "signet" things?

If you are a little kid with no money you are out of luck, but if you can afford to go out for a sandwich, you can afford to pay for the mission content in TSW if you end up liking the game.
It's less about the money and more about the privacy. Anything that leaves a trail is out. Do they take Paypal? I am wondering if they are required to acquire these signets, and how many of them it will thus cost me.

There isn't a Codex guild. There are guilds in the game, and it would probably be easy to join one. There are also a few raids that require muy multi players. In general you don't see lots of guild teams running around, mostly soloers or groups of 2-3 friends who may or may not be guild related. I'm a solo player so I don't care about any of that, maybe someone else can address it better.
Noted. Not a huge fan of other players either.

Only played solo most of the time, I think the content gets rather trivial if you do it in groups.)
Like the sound of that. Wonder how that will improve the rate at which the goods can be acquired.

Norfleet

I dunno about THAT. If these are not the valuable things you play to acquire...what is? There is more to it? I admit that my current picture of the game is somewhat limited, but if this isn't the goal...what is? And don't say "Story". Story in an MMO is a distraction. Sometimes pretty, sometimes interesting, sometimes even amusing, but pretty much never relevant to purpose in the game, that of triumphing over the other players by either killing them outright or having more stuff than them. Story is only a thing once, farming is forever. My last experience with MMOs have given me both contacts and clarity of purpose, and if I enter another MMO, I intend to pursue that purpose.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dunno about THAT. If these are not the valuable things you play to acquire...what is? There is more to it? I admit that my current picture of the game is somewhat limited, but if this isn't the goal...what is? And don't say "Story". Story in an MMO is a distraction. Sometimes pretty, sometimes interesting, sometimes even amusing, but pretty much never relevant to purpose in the game, that of triumphing over the other players by either killing them outright or having more stuff than them. Story is only a thing once, farming is forever. My last experience with MMOs have given me both contacts and clarity of purpose, and if I enter another MMO, I intend to pursue that purpose.
If you are just in for farming or PvP, than don't play this game, go play another one with better mechanics. This game has very good story, unrivaled by any other MMOs. If you are not in for that, than don't play it.
And don't say "Story". Story in an MMO is a distraction.
You have preconception against story in MMOs because other MMOs have shitty stories. TSW doesn't. And I repeat myself. If you don't care about the story, even if it is very good, than don't play this game.

If you only like combat, don't play this game, because it has lots of adventure game like elements, missions, where you have to think really hard, investigate to solve them.

Norfleet

If you are just in for farming or PvP, than don't play this game, go play another one with better mechanics.
Well, I have a limited list of MMOs to choose from, and of those that I haven't rejected as unsuitable, this is one of the ones I don't know enough about to make that decision. As for good mechanics, bad mechanics, what I've decided I like in game mechanics are obscure, inscrutable mechanics that I happen to be able to figure out how to extract from. I've decided it has ceased to matter whether the mechanics are fulfilling, balanced, or even logical. What matters is how much I can extract from it relative to the average bear.

This game has very good story, unrivaled by any other MMOs. If you are not in for that, than don't play it.
It's not to say I don't mind a good story. It's just that I consider the notion of one in an MMO to be rather laughable, and that, in the end, good, bad, it comes down to what I can sell to my new friends. I can only experience a story once. If a game has nothing beyond "story", it lacks any replay value, and I find this hard to believe in an MMO. Replay, the grind, are core to any MMO that isn't about PvP. Honestly, I used to like PvP a lot more, but seems these days I seem to find myself engaged in more PvD.

If you only like combat, don't play this game, because it has lots of adventure game like elements, missions, where you have to think really hard, investigate to solve them.
Combat, non-combat, I have come to see these things as false dichotomies. These are all means to an end. I realize now that a game is not an arena, a game is not an adventure. A game is an oilfield or a mine from which you attempt to extract as much as possible from before it runs dry, and what matters at the end of the day is not how much "fun" you had (and besides, I hate fun), but how much money you got out of it. Everything else? Means to an end. Puzzles, combat, both are ultimately repetitive activities you will execute over and over to extract resources. And honestly? I'm starting to tire of combat. The unpredictability of combat when your goal isn't simply to get in fights is less desirable than a puzzle whose solution you already have memorized and can apply by rote.

If grinding is your greatest and only joy in life, don't play TSW.
I have no joy. It means nothing to me now. Is it your experience that people who play this game dislike grinding and are unwilling to do it? Because this sounds like it means there would be a lucrative market in grinding. Doing what others hate is where the money is. If you're in an Asian MMO where everyone loves grinding and is willing to grind almost as much or even more than you, you're wasting your time. You've lost already. But a place where people hate to grind? In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I can only experience a story once. .

TSW's story is like a good HPL novel, which you can read again and again, each time getting something more out of it, because the lore is very obscure and leaves a lot of blanks that you have to use your own imagination to fill in.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it your experience that people who play this game dislike grinding and are unwilling to do it? Because this sounds like it means there would be a lucrative market in grinding. Doing what others hate is where the money is. If you're in an Asian MMO where everyone loves grinding and is willing to grind almost as much or even more than you, you're wasting your time. You've lost already. But a place where people hate to grind? In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
No. Just no. I'm not kidding. Wrong MMO.

Norfleet

No. Just no. I'm not kidding. Wrong MMO.
So people like grinding there, just not you? Cuz I'm missing something here. On one hand, I have hard evidence indicating that there are these things, which are, apparently, rather valuable, judging from their list prices. On the other hand, I hear this "this game isn't for grinding". What's a man to think? Those high prices seem to make me think that there's stuff to be ground. Cuz I'm shopping for a new game to put my 24 hours a day into. Maybe the wrong MMO is exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe it's the right wrong MMO.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, yes, you should buy TSW and grind 'til the cows come home and you will make a million dollars because everyone is desperate for signets yet they don't want to play the game to get them. Go. Go now, farm gold, and may your spamming bring you wealth beyond the dreams of emperors.

Here's what really happened. This is a story MMO, and players played it until they knew the story forwards and backwards and they ran out of stuff to do, yet they loved the game and wanted a reason to keep playing. So an end game treadmill was added for those people. That's pretty much it. The people who care about the top 1% gear are the people who are on the treadmill already. Seriously, you're not going to get rich farming this game.

Norfleet

That didn't really answer my question. Besides, I figure you have to start somewhere. After all, if you're new in the game, you're way behind everyone else who got a head start on you, and only the most gruelling and intensive farming efforts are going to bring you anywhere close to parity with them.

It's just like in real life, where you start out broke and naked, and from there it's about grinding your way up. Somewhere along the line, you get used to this.

Zombra

Patron
That didn't really answer my question. Besides, I figure you have to start somewhere. After all, if you're new in the game, you're way behind everyone else who got a head start on you, and only the most gruelling and intensive farming efforts are going to bring you anywhere close to parity with them.
It's not a competitve game. At all. No one cares about being "behind" everyone else. PVP is a ghost town. Raiding guilds already have their signet factories and don't need your products. Wrong tree, barking up.

Last edited:

Norfleet

It's not a competitve game. At all. No one cares about being "behind" everyone else. PVP is a ghost town. Wrong tree, barking up.
I dunno, man. You say it's not competitive, the price tags on these signets disagree. These same arguments apply to STO. PvP there is a ghost town, too. Why's PvP a ghost town? PvE-based mechanics that translate poorly to PvP?

Zombra

Patron
If the price tags tell you everything you need to know, what the hell are you asking us for? Go forth. Farm. Spam the trade channel. Profit. I can only tell you it's a bad idea so many times.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
You can buy the game for some small cash and it will give you unlimited access to all original content and first 5 or 6 issues. It's few hundred hours of quality solo content, persistent PvP and DM/CTF/domination minigames, 8 5-man dungeons, 2 10-man raids and lairs (open world locations with elite mobs). On top of that you can buy mission packs.

Game features challenging, adventure-style quests, fully voiced, with original assets (when you pick up torn note or a cell phone, you actually see it on screen - hell, one mission even requires calling to London and listening to recorded message). Quest markers are minimal - shown only if you're explicitly said where to go, otherwise there aren't any and you have to figure it out, follow coded directions, blood trail etc. Items highlight only if you're close to them - there are no quests where you're said to find evidence and immediately get a quest marker that shows you they're in Winking Skeever Inn under a bed on second floor (hello ESO). Kill/gather x quests are very rare, 99% of the quests contain some lore or clue about the Big Mystary.

The setting that is a clever mix of regional folklore, Gaiman, King and above all - Lovecraft. It's presented in modern day setting, where NPCs are amused/horrified/thrilled by what's going on, but not surprised - after all they watched horror movies, unlike most horror movie characters... Instead of dungeons you will visit banks, libraries, asylums, offices. Group content will have you investigating post-soviet research centers or helping Excalibur-wielding viking fend off Mayan invasion. The horrory quest are actually very "nope" (for me even after several walkthroughs). I don't like fairy shit, but here it's served so intelligently and with a very dark tone.

Combat is kinda step back from AoC, rather usual MMO fare. But most of the enemies are overpowered and you have to respect them. They have all kinds of different mechanics and it's usually just better to avoid them.

If that's not clear yet - this is probably the best game I ever played. Because of feels it gives, the mindfuck, the boner-inducing, unnamed horror.

Fucking signets. They're completely optional - they may have big impact your characters performance, but you're fine without them. The problem with them is that they're random drops, there's like 40 types of them divided in 3 quality levels. You need 10 of the same type to upgrade to next level, so calculate the odds by yourself. Half of them are pretty shit, but the best ones are super expensive. I mean ridiculously expensive - several hundred millions (billions even) of pax. You get 10-30k per mission (I usually carry 3-4mil), so again calculate yourself.

TSW's story is like a good HPL novel, which you can read again and again, each time getting something more out of it, because the lore is very obscure and leaves a lot of blanks that you have to use your own imagination to fill in.
The lore is so obscure, that even when it FUCKING PUNCHES people in the face, they still don't know what the fuck is happening. Unless you actually use your brain and connect the dots.

In one of the last missions you stand inside of a Gaia Engine and explicitly see how it works - which should fire an alarm in any head. Still, most players are clueless :)

Figurining that shit out (reading every bit of lore, listening to every NPC sentence, boss taunts, doing every hidden side quest) was the best gaming experience I've ever had in my 24 year career.

I dunno, man. You say it's not competitive, the price tags on these signets disagree. These same arguments apply to STO. PvP there is a ghost town, too. Why's PvP a ghost town? PvE-based mechanics that translate poorly to PvP?
The price tag is so high because there was nothing else to put money for a long time and players who played everyday since launch have ridiculous amounts of money. Right now you need tons of mats for augments (also optional), so selling sigs for that ridiculous amount of money makes sense. I don't give a fuck about that and still have no issues in any content, but if it was me from the AoC era - I would invest hundreds of hours just for a 2% dps gain.

Last edited:

Norfleet

If the price tags tell you everything you need to know, what the hell are you asking us for? Go forth. Farm. Spam the trade channel. Profit. I can only tell you it's a bad idea so many times.
Yeah, I get that. But WHY? There is clearly a gross discrepancy between what you are telling me, and what the hard, indisputable facts are. What's the missing data?

You can buy the game for some small cash and it will give you unlimited access to all original content and first 5 or 6 issues. It's few hundred hours of quality solo content, persistent PvP and DM/CTF/domination minigames, 8 5-man dungeons, 2 10-man raids and lairs (open world locations with elite mobs). On top of that you can buy mission packs.
Although apparently the PvP is dead.

Game features challenging, adventure-style quests, fully voiced, with original assets (when you pick up torn note or a cell phone, you actually see it on screen - hell, one mission even requires calling to London and listening to recorded message).
In the game, I hope? Sure as hell am not placing any real phone calls. I'm sure someone will have Youtubed that, though.

Fucking signets. They're completely optional - they may have big impact your characters performance, but you're fine without them.
I actually consider that to be a good thing, since it means *I* won't actually need them, and they'll be a fungible asset.

The price tag is so high because there was nothing else to put money for a long time and players who played everyday since launch have ridiculous amounts of money. Right now you need tons of mats for augments (also optional), so selling sigs for that ridiculous amount of money makes sense. I don't give a fuck about that and still have no issues in any content, but if it was me from the AoC era - I would invest hundreds of hours just for a 2% dps gain.
And how long has this been going on? How much boat have I missed here?

Norfleet

Ah, nevermind. Looked around some more, saw them trying to soak me for a shitton of bucks before I've even seen a single signet.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Ah, nevermind. Looked around some more, saw them trying to soak me for a shitton of bucks before I've even seen a single signet.
Eh, what? Signets are available in base game, it's more of a shitton of hours and mouseclicks, not bucks.

Funcom focuses heavily on PvE content, so PvP usually underdeveloped. Didn't care about it in AoC, don't care about it in TSW.

You actually have to call to London IRL, but it's an additional clue and there's no way the game will know that you did it, so you can skip it :)

Last edited:

Norfleet

And lo, the gold spammer himself was gold spammed. Thank god.
I resent the implication that I am a "gold spammer". I have never "spammed" anything. I am a gold FARMER. I like FARMING things, not spamming them.

Eh, what? Signets are available in base game, it's more of a shitton of hours and mouseclicks, not bucks.
I was talking about the game itself. Apparently, it's like $30 every time you sign up. That's a bit much, considering I haven't the slightest clue what to even do yet. Maybe if I were already in the game and had fungible assets I could trade in to pay for that, but I don't have any of that to even start with.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I was talking about the game itself. Apparently, it's like $30 every time you sign up. That's a bit much, considering I haven't the slightest clue what to even do yet. Maybe if I were already in the game and had fungible assets I could trade in to pay for that, but I don't have any of that to even start with.
Every time you sign up... don't you have to do it just once? Game keys are available for like 10$ - is that a lot for a game without a sub?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom