Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Norfleet

Yeah, play EVE. It's got a dynamic economy. You can make those phat stax, get dat sweet sweet cash. And there are loads of different ways of doing it, so you never have to get bored.
Yeah, I considered it at one point, but from what I hear, I missed the boat on that. Those guys are every bit as hardcore about things as I am, but with a 10+ year head start. Bit too late to be getting into the game now, seeing as I can't put in more than 24 hours a day.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, play EVE. It's got a dynamic economy. You can make those phat stax, get dat sweet sweet cash. And there are loads of different ways of doing it, so you never have to get bored.
Yeah, I considered it at one point, but from what I hear, I missed the boat on that. Those guys are every bit as hardcore about things as I am, but with a 10+ year head start. Bit too late to be getting into the game now, seeing as I can't put in more than 24 hours a day.
Don't mind about that. You might not be the No 1 most wealthiest player, but you can be rolling in cash. My friend plays it for a few years, only a few hours a day and he is doing very well. And he is not even in a big corp, just playing himself and a few friends occasionally.

Norfleet

Don't mind about that. You might not be the No 1 most wealthiest player, but you can be rolling in cash. My friend plays it for a few years, only a few hours a day and he is doing very well. And he is not even in a big corp, just playing himself and a few friends occasionally.
How much is he defining as "rolling in cash"? EVE has some pretty massive inflation. 1B Eves is apparently worth the same as ~25M TSWs or about 67M STOs. If something were to happen and force him to liquidate his stake in the game, how much is he "rolling in"? Just how many Eves is his SHTF Fund worth?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How much is he defining as "rolling in cash"? EVE has some pretty massive inflation. 1B Eves is apparently worth the same as ~25M TSWs or about 67M STOs. If something were to happen and force him to liquidate his stake in the game, how much is he "rolling in"? Just how many Eves is his SHTF Fund worth?
Right now he has around 40 billion on his account, but during hes lifetime in EVE I assume he already spent much more. He is playing for "free" (purchasing PLEX each month), so that is already 8-10 billion a month.

Norfleet

Ah, yeah, that's the rub, isn't it? The fact that it costs money to play in the first place. I suppose that isn't quite as much of a barrier as it used to be ever since I was forced to liquidate my STO hoard...that isn't exactly what I'd call wealthy, though. I know a guy with several hundreds of trillions, so 40B is basically "flat broke". What's he doing that gets him this money?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Ah forget it. I just remembered thet you are the one doesnt play because of fun, but to grind and farm all day to get rich and exploit the game. Please, dont play EVE. :P

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Guys, do you like my new jacket?

4EBD446E53C4342C8F4C500C6ADEEB20E4DA5824

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So they like playing the game the same way you like playing the game, but they have a head start and ZOMG it's a challenge for you so you pussy out.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I remmber, for example, a puzzle in the illuminati crypts under the first town which was impossible for me because I have zero knowledge about music.

....of course you need to be able to read notes.

Exactly this quest and as far as I remember this was one of the easier puzzles the game throws at you in Investigation missions.

My "favorite" investigation missions are the ones that require you to translate a language like Japanese, Greek, Moldovan, or Egyptian Hieroglyphs AND solve a riddle contained within the translated message. I've never used so many spoilers in a game as TSW and I enjoy a challenge as much as anyone but taking a whole day to fucking learn Kanji or any assortment of dead or half-dead languages to solve a riddle is insane.
All the investigation missions were my favorites. I hated the shit gameplay between the investigation missions.

Norfleet

So they like playing the game the same way you like playing the game, but they have a head start and ZOMG it's a challenge for you so you pussy out.
It's less about a "challenge" and more about the physical impossibility of putting in enough time to catch up since for some annoying reason, I can't actually play more than 24 hours a day. With winning thus off the table, I'm not really seeing a clear point. Winners never quit, quitters never win, but those who never win and never quit are idiots.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
It's less about a "challenge" and more about the physical impossibility of putting in enough time to catch up since for some annoying reason, I can't actually play more than 24 hours a day. With winning thus off the table, I'm not really seeing a clear point. Winners never quit, quitters never win, but those who never win and never quit are idiots.
Winners don't entertain the thought that they can never win.

Norfleet

Because they've already won. Duh. In this case, however, it has worked out to be a mathematical impossibility. In order to catch up to someone with an existing lead, you have to put in more than he does. But since you can't put in more than 24 hours a day, in this case, you will never catch up. Even if we generously assume that they only put in 16 a day, at 24 hours a day, it will still take 20 years to catch up. I'm not basing my strategy around the idea that one MMO will last 30 years.

Norfleet

Winners become winners.
The key to winning these games: Have a an angle, and get in early enough that your angle is enough to overcome whatever small head start your opponents have on you. The more late you show up, the stronger your angle needs to be. When a game has been going and people have thus had the opportunity to build up for 10 years, you're going to need a pretty huge angle over anyone else, and I, for one, can't think of anything that massive that would have gone unexploited for that long.

Which is, of course, ANOTHER advantage that early-comers get: The ability to tap angles that have since been closed down. So, the question is, "Is it feasible to attempt to compete with people who have had 10 years of exploit everything that no longer exists, given that I cannot gain an advantage on sheer persistence alone since everyone ELSE is also playing 24/7?". I'm not seeing a "yes" answer to this question, but if you've got something, feel free to share.

More importantly, should we bicker about an unrelated game in this thread? Does the Codex have an Eve thread to bicker in?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Winners become winners.
The key to winning these games: Have a an angle, and get in early enough that your angle is enough to overcome whatever small head start your opponents have on you. The more late you show up, the stronger your angle needs to be. When a game has been going and people have thus had the opportunity to build up for 10 years, you're going to need a pretty huge angle over anyone else, and I, for one, can't think of anything that massive that would have gone unexploited for that long.

Which is, of course, ANOTHER advantage that early-comers get: The ability to tap angles that have since been closed down. So, the question is, "Is it feasible to attempt to compete with people who have had 10 years of exploit everything that no longer exists, given that I cannot gain an advantage on sheer persistence alone since everyone ELSE is also playing 24/7?". I'm not seeing a "yes" answer to this question, but if you've got something, feel free to share.

More importantly, should we bicker about an unrelated game in this thread? Does the Codex have an Eve thread to bicker in?
If you always win, you will never win.

hello friend

Arcane
Winners become winners.

Clearly, you have not heard of some of the more impressive scams perpetrated in EVE. Your perceived lack of prospects in EVE signify a failure of creativity on your part, and nothing else. Maybe if you asp someone nicely, they'll give you some good ideas on how to start out.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Eve is limited only by your imagination and determination.

eve is limited only by devs playing in alliances you can't obviously beat because they know and exploit every known and unknown bug, other than manipulating inside knowledge about future buffs and nerfs.
given how the game has become, since several years ago already, so huge-numbers-centric, there's no place for anybody else to have fun.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Oh boy, another faggot who thinks fun=being the richest person in eve. Are you Norfleet's alt?

Norfleet

There are several fundamental truths, and I'm sure we've all heard these:
"If you ain't first, you're last."
"Second place is the first loser."
"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

And as Dwarf Fortress teaches us:
"Losing is fun."

From this we can derive my corollary:
"Fun is for losers."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom