Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Blade and Chaos are better for AOE because shotguns usually do cone damage (or a rectangle in some case I guess), which is hard to position because enemies tend to surround you . I think shotgun is mainly used for support in DPS (Cleansing, Group Buff).

Not that these matter when starting out though. And eventually you get enough points to dabble in every weapons anyway.
Blade has this useful feat, that you can run around and spam aoe without movement penalty.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Blade and Chaos are better for AOE because shotguns usually do cone damage (or a rectangle in some case I guess), which is hard to position because enemies tend to surround you . I think shotgun is mainly used for support in DPS (Cleansing, Group Buff).

Not that these matter when starting out though. And eventually you get enough points to dabble in every weapons anyway.

Yeah, the build seems to lose a lot of effectiveness against groups of larger enemies. Maybe I'll ditch shotgun for blade or chaos or just ditch them both for blade AND chaos.

I mostly play solo so I want a build that doesn't rely on single-target DPS and is somewhat self-sufficient. The last time I stopped playing because my build could only effectively tackle one enemy at a time and I couldn't be arsed to grind out SPs to come up with a new build. Leveling was painfully slow when I got quests that required me to kill 10 enemies or so and I could only take on one at a time.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm having real troubles questing in the Blue Mountain... Not because it's that hard or anything, my blade/fist build seems to be working just fine there, but because I have immense frame rate drops in there. Every time I face the camera in a certain direction, the frame rate drops to 10-15 fps. Which is weird, because my GTX770 should be more than sufficient for this game. Fucking Funcom and your shit engine :argh:.

edit:
Oh well, seems that it's particle related or sth, taking the effects slider down a few notches did wonders. Still, my earlier statement stands.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm having real troubles questing in the Blue Mountain... Not because it's that hard or anything, my blade/fist build seems to be working just fine there, but because I have immense frame rate drops in there. Every time I face the camera in a certain direction, the frame rate drops to 10-15 fps. Which is weird, because my GTX770 should be more than sufficient for this game. Fucking Funcom and your shit engine :argh:.

edit:
Oh well, seems that it's particle related or sth, taking the effects slider down a few notches did wonders. Still, my earlier statement stands.
It's not really about GPU power, it can be a bug on the map (happened in AoC) or maybe your CPU is too weak.

I'm running 560Ti and I don't get drops anywhere... except when the game is loading next portion of the area, because of my potato HDD.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2

edit:
It's not really about GPU power, it can be a bug on the map (happened in AoC) or maybe your CPU is too weak.

I'm running 560Ti and I don't get drops anywhere... except when the game is loading next portion of the area, because of my potato HDD.

I doubt it's my CPU, it's an E3-1230v3, which is equivalent to an i7 4770. So I'm still placing my bets on Funcom building shit engines or maps :M.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I doubt it's my CPU, it's an E3-1230v3, which is equivalent to an i7 4770. So I'm still placing my bets on Funcom building shit engines or maps :M.
Nah, I was thinking you're running one of those sub 3GHz multicores. Still the drops are weird. Game runs like shit, but steadily.

bylam

Funcom
Developer

IIRC it's either the fucking fog particle or the water shader. It's problematic on a specific GPU series.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
They're reducing mob health and density pre-Tokyo so that's nice, maybe I'll finish the issues I bought one day D:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That's probably a good decision on Funcom's part. Mind you, things only really get rough around Transylvania where you're basically boned unless you have some healing capabilities if you play solo so this will be a welcome change.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
mob density in the game has always been problematic, especially because one spends so much time soloing and running back and forth because of the shitty quest number limitation.

I stalk the night
Patron
GAME DIRECTOR LETTER – FEBRUARY 2015
We’ve replaced some of the early choices in the game with a better mix of items (to avoid people gimping themselves very early by equipping full heal talismans, for example).

:lol:

I wonder if they're ever giving the UI an overhaul. That alone would increase my enjoyment of the game a lot. From the amount of UI mods for the game it seems like modding the UI is either such a pain it's not worth it or it just can not be extensively modded. Flash based UI, such a great idea.

I stalk the night
Patron
Flash based UI, such a great idea.
Not to be a dick, but Scaleform is pretty much industry standard. http://gameware.autodesk.com/scaleform

It's a pain the ass to use, but implying that using the most common UI middleware in the industry is somehow a misstep seems a bit derp. (Blame Autodesk for making it flash based)

It might be an industry standard, and it is able to do some real purdy shit, but in a genre that is fairly well known to give players extensive freedom to change their UI it's a stupid decision to use middleware that is well known for bad player customizability. It's in no way Autodesks fault if a developer decides to use their tool for a job it's not well suited for. I could've phrased my words better earlier though.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
So I skimmed the whole thread...
bozia2012 See what you made me do :argh:
75UTFev.png

I'm too old for MMOs but I'm a sucker for anything Lovecraftian
Expect me bitching a lot itt now, since I have no fookin Idea what I'm doing.

DAWNLADIN NAO!

Edit: Question number 1, wich Dimension should I choose? Leviathan is described as "a very quiet environment" for Roleplaying... Seems an obvious choice since I intend to solo 99% of the game

Last edited:

Norfleet

What's a dimension? That like a shard? Is the game split up into multiple unrelated shards? Or is this more like a starting zone?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Dimension is like a default instance for your character. Normally you'll meet only people from your dimension, BUT you will be able to see people from other dimensions on chat and through that you will be able to group up and travel to them. This allows for questing, dungeons, raids. Minigames (CTF, domination) and trading are also game-wide.

The only one thing chosen dimension is restricting is the persistent PvP map.

Here's some more info - http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=81738

Travelling is super easy, as you can just click "meet up" on your friend and be teleported to a rezz pad nearest to him (including dungeons). Normally he gets a popup and has to agree, but lots of people are using Auto Meet-Up nowadays (when there's an event with world bosses, there are spotters who are also beacons for other players).

Norfleet

Can your default instance be changed, or are you stuck there forever?

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Wow, I'm having fun actually... Really well made world, nice dialogues and writing, lots of it. By choosing a low population RP server I rarely see bunnyhopping tools and I found a single Mary-StOnEd4x-Jane

I'm going with blade + blood because it sounds cool, following loosely some builds on the forum but I already understood that you need to change and adapt. If I understand correctly you need each skill in a tier to unlock the next one?
Browsing some interface mods atm, but I haven't installed any

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Wow, I'm having fun actually... Really well made world, nice dialogues and writing, lots of it. By choosing a low population RP server I rarely see bunnyhopping tools and I found a single Mary-StOnEd4x-Jane

I'm going with blade + blood because it sounds cool, following loosely some builds on the forum but I already understood that you need to change and adapt. If I understand correctly you need each skill in a tier to unlock the next one?
Browsing some interface mods atm, but I haven't installed any

Good for you! It gets even better later on, darker, less fable-y.

IIRC you have to complete the inner wheel before you can buy any tier 2. After that you can buy whatever you want, though you have to progress through all skills in particular school.

Good choice on weapons, sword is perfect for most content (except maybe dungeon dps and healing:)).

If you install Curse client, checking top 10 most popular mods can be helpful (most of them are straight QOL).

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
See what I was talking about in my above post? Never heard of this... Thanks!
I suspected this :)

Curse makes installing mods a one-click thing, lets you avoid editing xml to merge mods. I was reinstalling the game last week and just picked like first 8 mods :)

You might want to check out SweetFX - works great with Dreamworld games and can actually improve performance and quality at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom