Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I've just found the No1 mod, which made the game 200% more enjoyable for me. It is called TSW Keyboard tool. My biggest problem with the controls of the game was that you have to smash the skill buttons when you use a builder skill (basicly all the time). Plus you have to hold the right mouse button to control the camera, meanwhile pushing WASD to move during combat. This put a huge strain on my hand. The mod I mentioned does 3 thing: the skills continously activate if you hold down the button, you can easily set skills on mouse thumb buttons and the third: by pushing Ctrl+right click, you active TPS camera movement, so you can move the camera just by moving the mouse without keeping the right mouse button pressed. It is much more natural to play the game this way, after you get used to it. And if you need the mouse pointer (during AoE targeting or just interacting with the enviroment) you just right click and the TPS camera switches off.

The mod:
http://www.secretui.com/downloads/info46-TSW_KeyboardTools.html
Hmm... interesting find. How's the TPS camera mode different than the targetting mode which is already in the game?
Wait what? There is a targeting mode in the game? :stupid:
Fake edit: It seems it was added to the game in patch 1.4, that's why I didn't know about it. After checking it, it seems really cool. Well, the ingame targeting mode is better than the mod's, so that part of the mod is obsolete it seems. Main reason is that with the mod, you can't target AoE attacks, you have to leave TPS mode for that. But with targeting mode, you can target AoE with the crosshair. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. This will make the game even more playable for me, because my main problem with TSW was the tiresome controls. :) Still the constant firing mode is very much welcome in the mod.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Still the constant firing mode is very much welcome in the mod.
Yeah, that part might come handy for lazy soloing. I prefer clicking for dungeons to get the timing right on different builds (EF and shit).

EDIT: that reminded me of the olden days, when my joy (Top Star) didn't have working autofire.
Also it was super rigid and required inhuman endurance - when I got QuickShot II Turbo, it crumbled under my titanium grip.

Last edited:

Explorerbc

Arcane
I almost finished Savage Coast and will move to Blue Mountain tomorrow.

I am starting to play better but I am still not sure about some stuff, I had to randomly spend some AP to not reach the limit, and I haven't crafted/enhanced anything yet.

I'm in for some more Codex party action though if you guys need people.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I'm in for some more Codex party action though if you guys need people.

I think I'll be in game tomorrow after 17 (+1gmt)
I almost finished blue mountain. I also gave a look to that modern samurai build, I'm not an expert but it's very basic... Consider I've chosen a 773 AP build and I'm almost finished (I only lack leeching frenzy) before finishing BM
You should maybe try and find a more advanced one, don't worry most of the AP you spent will be put to good use.
Hell, my build uses passives from: elemental, chaos, fist and A.Rifles and it's a Blood/Blade build!

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I haven't crafted/enhanced anything yet.
Aside from quests, you don't really craft much at start - maybe some glyphs if you get an item without them. Ultimate Crafter comes in handy, because you can just choose from a list of available ones and it will make the pattern itself.

Most of the crafting in the game is making consumables, refining mats and applying upgrade kits.

I should be online also tomorrow (I got another 2 upgrades to AEGIS today - it sure goes fast).

Stokowski

Arcane
Only crafting I did then was HoT drinks. There's usually a better weapon/tali just around the corner (or available with Solomon potatoes), but you can never have enough consumables.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come to think of it, TSW is one of the few games in which I don't hate potions. They're expensive enough that they never become a meaningless gas tank to refill as a matter of course, but useful enough as an "oh shit" button that it's actually worth the time to make them.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Come to think of it... I have another question for the vets. Since I noticed how easy you gain PAX and that dropped items only sell for PAX, I simply turn all the junk I don't need into materials... Am I doing this right?

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come to think of it... I have another question for the vets. Since I noticed how easy you gain PAX and that dropped items only sell for PAX, I simply turn all the junk I don't need into materials... Am I doing this right?
That's how I do it ... more to free up inventory space quicker than because it's economical, though. I don't know (or especially care) the best way to maximize profit. Still, I never found any reason to not use this system.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Well... The real question is if there's something to spend PAX on. Except for sprinting boost, clothes and consumable toolkits I found nothing you can buy.

Zombra

Patron
Well... The real question is if there's something to spend PAX on. Except for sprinting boost, clothes and consumable toolkits I found nothing you can buy.
That's exactly what I spent my PAX on. I think some other stuff is available like face change tokens and suchlike in the auction house for way way more PAX than you'd ever want to spend on it. My recommendation: don't worry about it and just craft your junk. Others might have other perspectives.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I turn all junk (weapons, potions, glyphs, animas) into mats - you'll need lots of them for auguments.

Pax are used mostly for inventory increases (they become costly at some point, you need space for mat stacks and all those signets) and buying shit on auction house (signets cost miiiiliiiioooons). You can also buy gold plating for your aux weapons or spend cash on barber.

I don't really use healing pots (last last resort, they're probably the only thing that gives dust), but I use +940hp animas - it makes a difference when you only have 2120hp.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Won't need the PAX for the short cut after the next patch. Entry requirement to Tokyo is one scenario run. (You also won't have to buy Issue #9 to enter Tokyo after the patch either)

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Save 1M PAX for the short cut to Tokyo though.
Because it's better to spend 1M pax instead of running 5-6 scenarios (and get auguments, cash, xp, mats in the process).

Won't need the PAX for the short cut after the next patch. Entry requirement to Tokyo is one scenario run. (You also won't have to buy Issue #9 to enter Tokyo after the patch either)
Hmmm, I didn't see any specifics on this. What will you be able to do in Tokyo without #9?

Name

Cipher
Because it's better to spend 1M pax instead of running 5-6 scenarios (and get auguments, cash, xp, mats in the process).

Oh definitely not 5-6 scenarios. You need around 15+ if you are a *casual* player like me (around 10 for each Normal Silver/Gold run), and adding the lock time, it means you have to grind solo for half a month and play other games in the meantime until you get to enter Tokyo to continue the story; Or you can buy more atrocious scenarios and it would take a week; If then you are able to constantly find people to group the scenario (well casual player won't be able to solo them that's for sure), it means spending a whole weekends nonstop and it's the quickest.

By comparison you can just spend 1M after the awesome investigation mission.

Hmmm, I didn't see any specifics on this. What will you be able to do in Tokyo without #9?[/QUOTE]

That's nice. I guess you may go into Tokyo to do side quests to get the AEGIS?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

Oh definitely not 5-6 scenarios. You need around 15+ if you are a *casual* player like me (around 10 for each Normal Silver/Gold run), and adding the lock time, it means you have to grind solo for half a month and play other games in the meantime until you get to enter Tokyo to continue the story; Or you can buy more atrocious scenarios and it would take a week; If then you are able to constantly find people to group the scenario (well casual player won't be able to solo them that's for sure), it means spending a whole weekends nonstop and it's the quickest.

Why half a month? Wasn't the lock time 16h and you need only 80 oreos. You can run solo/normal in group - it's makes getting platinum easy and that's ~15 oreos. But, sure - if you shift all parameters against yourself anything is possible :)

I played the game continuously maybe for the first 3 months and since then I only log in when new content is out or events are up - is that hardcore?

Don't you need to buy sidestories to get the Venice hacker?

Last edited:

Name

Cipher

Why half a month? Wasn't the lock time 16h and you need only 80 oreos. You can run solo/normal in group - it's makes getting platinum easy and that's ~15 oreos. But, sure - if you shift all parameters against yourself anything is possible :)

I played the game continuously maybe for the first 3 months and since then I only log in when new content is out or events are up - is that hardcore?

Don't you need to buy sidestories to get the Venice hacker?

And you need to buy issue #8 to get other scenarios to speed things up a little.

The main problem is for a solo player (at least as poorly skilled as me), up at that point the build and gears level won't be able to handle the Normal scenario with ease, which means very few oreos as reward. I guess if you can pool other good players as a group then it's quick.

Also I heard they also reduced the difficulty of Tokyo.

Which makes the whole scenarios really weird bump in the middle.

So in conclusion this is what happened to aspies. Have to spend mom's moneys and PAX.

Norfleet

Why would you want to spend it? Every billion you can amass is worth a fairly decent fortune. One can never have too much money. How many millions are we talking about? You should squirrel it away somewhere so that you have it if something HAPPENS.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
...I'm fairly sure I could gain more money working the same amount of hours IRL. Also I love my work, while I consider grinding for money in an arpg one of the eminent ways to waste your life.
I must add that I look down on those who spend real money to buy things you can earn in game and I have a poor consideration for those who sell too. Imho they act like parasites, exploiting weak, pathological people or kids using their parent cards.
Mind you, I don't dislike parasites. I actually find them interesting and fascinating being, I just loathe the idea of having one as a friend...

Tl;dr: there are many ways to earn money, you just need to be intelligent and reliable. Having one or more skill helps too. The measure of your success should be how happy you are WHILE earning money.

Fake edit: Here, have a look at this one, fascinating isn't it?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cymothoa exigua, or the tongue-eating louse, is a parasiticcrustacean of the family Cymothoidae. This parasite enters fish through the gills, and then attaches itself to the fish's tongue. The female attaches to the tongue and the male attaches on the gill arches beneath and behind the female. Females are 8–29 millimetres (0.3–1.1 in) long and 4–14 mm (0.16–0.55 in) in maximum width. Males are approximately 7.5–15 mm (0.3–0.6 in) long and 3–7 mm (0.12–0.28 in) wide. The parasite destroys the fish's tongue, and then attaches itself to the stub of what was once its tongue and becomes the fish's new tongue.[

220px-Cymothoa_exigua_parassita_Lithognathus_mormyrus.JPG

:troll:

Norfleet

...I'm fairly sure I could gain more money working the same amount of hours IRL. Also I love my work, while I consider grinding for money in an arpg one of the eminent ways to waste your life.
It really depends on the game. There are some games where earning money can be had as a simple matter of checking the auction house prices before you leave for a raid, or logout.

I must add that I look down on those who spend real money to buy things you can earn in game
Yeah, those guys are suckers.

and I have a poor consideration for those who sell too. Imho they act like parasites, exploiting weak, pathological people or kids using their parent cards.
I don't think you understand the entire point of "capitalism". What are you, a Commie? Not that it makes a difference. Under Capitalism, man exploits man. Under Communism, the opposite is true.

Mind you, I don't dislike parasites. I actually find them interesting and fascinating being, I just loathe the idea of having one as a friend...
It helps to have all kinds of people as friends. You never know when having the right person in the right place could be useful. Honestly, I didn't think such people would be useful friends at first either, but circumstances conspired to rapidly change my opinion. When all my other friends in the game proved useless or downright backstabbing, Eggy Friend was there for me. Eggy Friend was, in the end, Best Friend.

The measure of your success should be how happy you are WHILE earning money.
That would sort of put "earning money for playing a video game" fairly high on the list, wouldn't it? Besides, it's not about earning money, it's about guarding your exit in case you want to...or are forced to...quit.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
It really depends on the game. There are some games where earning money can be had as a simple matter of checking the auction house prices before you leave for a raid, or logout.

Sorry I supposed we were talking about TSW, I know there's an auction house in game but I find hard to believe it has the same influx as say, Derpblo III

Yeah, those guys are suckers.

Glad we agree!

I don't think you understand the entire point of "capitalism". What are you, a Commie? Not that it makes a difference. Under Capitalism, man exploits man. Under Communism, the opposite is true.

No, I'm fairly conservative and traditionalist, I don't want the state to interfere in my life and I like being able to earn and manage my money. In a society led by independent individuals you need morals, else decline ensues. What are you an agent of Decline?

It helps to have all kinds of people as friends. You never know when having the right person in the right place could be useful. Honestly, I didn't think such people would be useful friends at first either, but circumstances conspired to rapidly change my opinion. When all my other friends in the game proved useless or downright backstabbing, Eggy Friend was there for me. Eggy Friend was, in the end, Best Friend.

We have a very different definition for the term "friend" then. I agree if you refer to contacts in general wich I have, lots of. Friends are holier than syblings, the former you choose, the latter are chosen for you by mother-nature/god/entropy. If "Eggy" friend in game is your best example, I suppose I should simply let this point die...

That would sort of put "earning money for playing a video game" fairly high on the list, wouldn't it?

No, it's not "earning money for playing a video game" since you purposely grind mindless activites. I play for the story, tactical approach and exploration, wich would be lost if I spent hours grinding.

Besides, it's not about earning money, it's about guarding your exit in case you want to...or are forced to...quit.

:lol: forced to quit? Why? Because bozia2012 considers me Worst PADAWAN Everu and threatens me IRL since I dont't follow his guide and Stand in the fire while running dungeons? I would just set up a patreon for that...

Also, I spent whooping 19 euros on a game that already entertained me for 2 weeks. Oh and 5 euros to buy the second issue, since FUNCOM gave me enough free points to buy the first...
....The day I'll have to "guard my exit" for such a low quote will be a sad, sad day :(

Fake edit: Hey, I also posted info about a lovely parasite that consumes a fish tongue and then lives all his life as a perfectly functional fish tongue. I suppose you have no answer for such a solid argument and decided to simply ignore it

:troll:

Last edited:

Norfleet

No, I'm fairly conservative and traditionalist, I don't want the state to interfere in my life and I like being able to earn and manage my money. In a society led by independent individuals you need morals, else decline ensues. What are you an agent of Decline?
Ah, but the First Law of Thermodynamics tells us that energy and matter can neither be created nor destroyed. So, if you want it, you have to take it from someone else. Unless you feel like going to space and taking it from an unclaimed asteroid, which will cost you more than taking it from someone else...

We have a very different definition for the term "friend" then. I agree if you refer to contacts in general wich I have, lots of. Friends are holier than syblings, the former you choose, the latter are chosen for you by mother-nature/god/entropy. If "Eggy" friend in game is your best example, I suppose I should simply let this point die...
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

No, it's not "earning money for playing a video game" since you purposely grind mindless activites. I play for the story, tactical approach and exploration, wich would be lost if I spent hours grinding.
Well, I suppose it depends on how you get the money. I'm not acquainted enough with TSW's economy to know for sure. Either way, you accumulate money through play, there's no reason not to hoard it. But hoard carefully, in a safe way!

:lol: forced to quit? Why? Because bozia2012 considers me Worst PADAWAN Everu and threatens me IRL since I dont't follow his guide and Stand in the fire while running dungeons?
Who knows? Any number of reasons. Maybe you've offended a dev. Maybe your house burns down and you need the money to pay for repairs. Shit happens. When I look back, I realize that if I had done a better job covering my exits, I probably could have saved more than the half I managed. Next game, I'm going to up my game on that. I shouldn't have listened to Vaarna on that point. But it seemed like such a nice quiet place to occupy my all-consuming insomnia with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom