Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Norfleet

Yes, but in a normal MMO, the quests are generally inane and involve little more than going towards a glowy marker on a map, killing everything there, and pushing all the buttons. I don't think what I've heard of TSW suggests things work that way.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Guys, I'm thinking on going back to this thing sometime, is there some mod that removes that ridiculous limitation on the number of quests you can keep track on? Man, going to kill zombies on the coast only to fight all my way back with the respawned enemies just to grab another quest was getting old very fast.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Yes, but in a normal MMO, the quests are generally inane and involve little more than going towards a glowy marker on a map, killing everything there, and pushing all the buttons. I don't think what I've heard of TSW suggests things work that way.
I'll try again:

TSW - has a limit on quests, because they're scripted a lot (stuff is happening, additional stuff is spawned for you etc.) and the devs wanted you to get more into the story.

vs

Any other MMO - lets you take 30 quests and do quests while you're doing quests

Guys, I'm thinking on going back to this thing sometime, is there some mod that removes that ridiculous limitation on the number of quests you can keep track on? Man, going to kill zombies on the coast only to fight all my way back with the respawned enemies just to grab another quest was getting old very fast.
Usually you find another quest when you finish the previous one. Also you can just teleport if you don't want to run...

Norfleet

TSW - has a limit on quests, because they're scripted a lot (stuff is happening, additional stuff is spawned for you etc.) and the devs wanted you to get more into the story.
Yes, yes, I understand this. I'm just saying, that if you followed your aforementioned inclination to accept every quest and then blunder through the map, you wouldn't actually complete many, if any, of them in TSW because how the quests apparently actually are, even if you were allowed to do this.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Yes, yes, I understand this. I'm just saying, that if you followed your aforementioned inclination to accept every quest and then blunder through the map, you wouldn't actually complete many, if any, of them in TSW because how the quests apparently actually are, even if you were allowed to do this.
Yep, shit would probably glitch out and you would have no idea where to go - even the most basic quests require close following since the quest markers are minimal.

Norfleet

And I assume few to none involve simply "Go to A, Kill/Frob X, Bring back N Bear Asses".

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So far it's pretty banal. I've gotten to the second area - am in Innsmouth academy right now. some of the quests had some ok puzzles, but the writing is nothign stellar. And the actual fighting/character building is banal as all fuck. not terribly impressed so far :|

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So far it's pretty banal. I've gotten to the second area - am in Innsmouth academy right now. some of the quests had some ok puzzles, but the writing is nothign stellar. And the actual fighting/character building is banal as all fuck. not terribly impressed so far :|
How can you say that? :negative: Everything besides the combat is excellent!

I bet you are playing it wrong. :troll:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Charcterbuilding is pretty meh too. And so far there's a whole lot of running around back and forth unless you want to pump all your pax into teleporters. I'm not too impressed with the inventory items all having boring icons either and the crafting is pretty underwhelming.

Outside of a few puzzles where you have to go out of the game to look bible passages up and shit, there's nothing paticularly new or interesting in this.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, nobody billed the game as some next-gen revolution, or said that the crafting and inventory systems were radical and ingenious. Most of the mechanics are pretty stock. If the setting doesn't interest you, and the writing doesn't interest you, and the investigation missions don't interest you, then yeah, there's not going to be much for you.

I disagree about character building though. At the beginning there's not much to it, but putting together builds is pretty fun once you have more options available than "builder 1" and "consumer 1".

Oh, and if you don't like running around, use the teleporters. The only things really worth saving up PAX for are the faction sprint boosts, but if you're teleporting you don't need those anyway. Personally I prefer running around because stumbling across stuff is part of the fun.

Stokowski

Arcane
Charcterbuilding is pretty meh too. And so far there's a whole lot of running around back and forth unless you want to pump all your pax into teleporters. I'm not too impressed with the inventory items all having boring icons either and the crafting is pretty underwhelming.

Outside of a few puzzles where you have to go out of the game to look bible passages up and shit, there's nothing paticularly new or interesting in this.
That, in itself, isn't mind-blowing enough for yah?

::: 'kids these days' rambling rant :::

Norfleet

Science has proven what I've known all along: Spoilers Aren't A Thing. I've never believed in spoilers and the science proves that I was right not to.

As such, I regard those moaning about spoilers with only slightly less disdain than I have for moon-landing-conspiracy theorists and Flat Earthers.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
::: 'kids these days' rambling rant :::

The best thing is that when you google for some of the riddle stuff, walkthroughs for the mission in question show up before the stuff you were meant to look for.
Do all your web searches with
-tsw -unfair -crygaia
unfair and crygaia being the main spoiler sites.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Do all your web searches with
-tsw -unfair -crygaia
unfair and crygaia being the main spoiler sites.
-tswdb

Norfleet You definitely can spoil a puzzle if you intended on solving it yourself. There's a difference between DGAF experiment subjects and people planning a specific way of enjoying a piece of art (also: emotional ties).

Last edited:

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Too lazy to play atm, gonna hang out in the agharta begpile :cool:

Edit: Got 2 items already while I was in the area loadscreen, looking good
obama-dance-o.gif

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Too lazy to play atm, gonna hang out in the agharta begpile :cool:

Edit: Got 2 items already while I was in the area loadscreen, looking good
obama-dance-o.gif
I never get shit in the begpile (well, maybe once).

It looks the optimal way is to kill 6 golems everyday (so you can buy 2 bags from the vendor).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

They also made Enhanced Player Experience pack, which contains Issues 5 through 8, available to everyone for purchase and not just new accounts. So if you wanted an upgrade from what vanilla offers and are willing to fork out 19,99 for it now's probably the best time to do so. Available until the 31st.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
They also made Enhanced Player Experience pack, which contains Issues 5 through 8, available to everyone for purchase and not just new accounts. So if you wanted an upgrade from what vanilla offers and are willing to fork out 19,99 for it now's probably the best time to do so. Available until the 31st.
I wish their account page wasn't so goddamn obscure. I don't even know which issues I already have unlocked. :mad:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom