Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
you could totally rip out the hearts of high level players
Literally.

Mangoose BS and PoM best classes evar.

They were. Now those classes are how you design a hybrid class. Then again many of the classes were not straightforward... Even if they seemed to be, you had to play smart. E.g. the Herald of Xotli: Sure, the mechanics were straightforward, but the subtle fact that you were so fragile meant you had to play very very smart.

And I didn't even play a HoX so I don't have much motive to praise it. Other than the fact that I didn't have the balls to play one.

Course I guess there were phases of one class being to OP or another class being too nerfed or whatever (as usual) but eh balance issues as usual.

I almost want to say that it was a good combat system but it was more like good combat design, if that nuance makes any sense. (Not meant for PVE though... wish they never even bothered with raids and shit)

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Literally.

They were. Now those classes are how you design a hybrid class. Then again many of the classes were not straightforward... Even if they seemed to be, you had to play smart. E.g. the Herald of Xotli: Sure, the mechanics were straightforward, but the subtle fact that you were so fragile meant you had to play very very smart.

And I didn't even play a HoX so I don't have much motive to praise it. Other than the fact that I didn't have the balls to play one.

Course I guess there were phases of one class being to OP or another class being too nerfed or whatever (as usual) but eh balance issues as usual.

I almost want to say that it was a good combat system but it was more like good combat design, if that nuance makes any sense. (Not meant for PVE though... wish they never even bothered with raids and shit)

In PvE, HoX was kinda fail - it was easier to deal damage with several other classes and I can't remember they were needed for anything. I've seen some great HoXen, but the whole class reputation was tarnished by ineptness of the rest, old bugs and no skilltree updates. There were many raids/dungeons were soldiers and priests were topping the parse and both archetypes were critical to any group (unlike HoX).

Yeah, lots of combat nuances went out of window once you started doing PvE - it was all focused on add handling, top aggro-swapping (sometimes every hit!), interrupts etc. Melee dpsers would just bunch at the back of the boss and whack away.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Literally.

In PvE, HoX was kinda fail - it was easier to deal damage with several other classes and I can't remember they were needed for anything. I've seen some great HoXen, but the whole class reputation was tarnished by ineptness of the rest, old bugs and no skilltree updates. There were many raids/dungeons were soldiers and priests were topping the parse and both archetypes were critical to any group (unlike HoX).

Yeah, lots of combat nuances went out of window once you started doing PvE - it was all focused on add handling, top aggro-swapping (sometimes every hit!), interrupts etc. Melee dpsers would just bunch at the back of the boss and whack away.

I did like one level 80 PVE dungeon or raid or whatever and that's it. And I don't really remember it. Probably high as fuck.

There was one interesting PVE dungeon and that was the first one. After that it was shite (nor do I remember any of them lol).

I suppose the level up solo PVE grind was more fun than other games though, again because of the combat. Kinda funny actually because the AI would switch shields often (which made choosing combos kinda fun) but the shield system was totally useless and impossible to use in PVP.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
You're bullshitting something fierce if you are trying to imply that there were enough quests to take you to 40.

I mean, I worked on the 0-40 areas of the game. I'm not implying anything, I had the numbers.

You could argue that you missed some content etc. But you could get to 40 by doing the quests in those areas.

As for lack of content - each of those areas (not the hubs) has as many individual quests as Tortage (not going to argue about quality though, plenty of fetch quests etc.)

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I did like one level 80 PVE dungeon or raid or whatever and that's it. And I don't really remember it. Probably high as fuck.

There was one interesting PVE dungeon and that was the first one. After that it was shite (nor do I remember any of them lol).

I suppose the level up solo PVE grind was more fun than other games though, again because of the combat. Kinda funny actually because the AI would switch shields often (which made choosing combos kinda fun) but the shield system was totally useless and impossible to use in PVP.
The first one? Do you mean the one with traps and Indiana Jones ball? Yeah, it was standing out from the other base dungeons - which were filled with tons of trash mobs and no-mechanic bosses.

The good stuff came with Rise of the Godslayer - almost no trash (unless they were needed for mechanic or atmosphere) and heavy focus on mechanics and uniqueness. Many people missed the old grindy stuff...

In PvE shields rather mattered in soloing - could make a difference if you were low on health. In groups, melee would just hit the unshielded back - the only issue was that some bosses had special treat for those cases.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
All the talk about TSW and the screenies in the ss thread made me reinstall it. Last time I barely got halfway through the first Kingsmouth area before putting it down. Now I'm at Blue Mountain and it's working for me. People weren't kidding that investigative missions were the real treat, since pretty much everything else is substandard MMO crap.

I did very much enjoy one of the puzzles involving a set of runes and latin transcriptions. I'm a sucker for those.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Fixed leaky gas pipes in NYC yesterday.

A364E83CF3E8B6DA87E97DBD1617C5E7594F0788

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Funcom could be one of the best RPG developer of our time if they would have concentrated on singleplayer RPGs instead of MMOs. With their writing talent, their SP games would be amazing. Just by thining of a singleplayer Secret World, without the MMO shit gives me a boner.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Wish larian still had that cash around and bought these guys, the writing team alone is worth the money, and the ips themselves are quite interesting.

Secret world rpg in the divinity engine would be glorious

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Wish larian still had that cash around and bought these guys, the writing team alone is worth the money, and the ips themselves are quite interesting.

Secret world rpg in the divinity engine would be glorious
I don't remember much from older Divinities, but OS didn't move me in any way (co-op was fun for some time). Art and writing totally bland. What was so special about engine?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I don't remember much from older Divinities, but OS didn't move me in any way (co-op was fun for some time). Art and writing totally bland. What was so special about engine?
It's highly modable, has an interesting tb combat system with a lot of environmental interaction, is relatively well optimized, and the dialogue and scripting systems would fit well with a dialogue heavy rpg like secret world

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
It's highly modable, has an interesting tb combat system with a lot of environmental interaction, is relatively well optimized, and the dialogue and scripting systems would fit well with a dialogue heavy rpg like secret world
I wonder how it would handle such big playfields like in TSW. A lot of appeal of this game comes from it's cinematic feel - beautiful landscapes and detailed interiors, colorful NPCs, nicely directed cutscenes with full voice acting etc.

I didn't notice any of that in D:OS.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would settle for a bland company buying them out, but you know it's going to be some shovelware popup microwhore clickbait nightmare conglomerate.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just in time for the new dungeon that should be coming next week end of 2017. I detest HF so I rarely run it. Still don't know what's going on during the last fight, for me it's one giant clusterfuck.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Just in time for the new dungeon that should be coming next week end of 2017. I detest HF so I rarely run it. Still don't know what's going on during the last fight, for me it's one giant clusterfuck.
Gettin some harder achievments and gearing up will take me some time. But I just love this game so whatever.

HF is a special treat, for adventurous evenings. Yesterday we only had trouble because tank and healer got separated by the "gale" and finishing Gog and Magog was hectic, but on other nights it's usually a total mess just like the Engine Tyrants (got my Taco Hat while training these 2).

Last edited:

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The issues 1-4 are already incorporated in the base game while 5-11 are end-game content. But they are really worth it imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom